Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #1

It should be interesting over the next couple of months

Rumours have been flying around the industry that Enviroment Canada will legislate a law that will require any importer to provide documentation of EPA testing. This means that any importer like Saga Canada,Gio,Daymak,Midwest Pitster Pro ect will have to provide Enviroment Canada proper documentaion that they have the testing in there name not the manufacturers Name.

The testing is only done once per unit..example if Gio wants to sell there GIO Beast 110cc quad then they will have to get it EPA approved. Once it has past then they are good to go but they will have to do it for every different sized machine they bring and thats going to cost alot of dough. If they do not have documentation they it will be denied at the port.

For some reason this does not apply to Scooters..

Should be interesting to see who sticks around...

These are for 2010 models...

Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #2

Very intresting indeed.

I will ask BC Motor vehicle branch if they know anything yet on this.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 AM   #3

Re: It should be interesting over the next couple of months

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGACANADA
Rumours have been flying around the industry that Enviroment Canada will legislate a law that will require any importer to provide documentation of EPA testing. This means that any importer like Saga Canada,Gio,Daymak,Midwest Pitster Pro ect will have to provide Enviroment Canada proper documentaion that they have the testing in there name not the manufacturers Name.

The testing is only done once per unit..example if Gio wants to sell there GIO Beast 110cc quad then they will have to get it EPA approved. Once it has past then they are good to go but they will have to do it for every different sized machine they bring and thats going to cost alot of dough. If they do not have documentation they it will be denied at the port.

For some reason this does not apply to Scooters..

Should be interesting to see who sticks around...

These are for 2010 models...
What exactly is the EPA test for? Emissions or other factors like lead paint etc?

When I was dealing with Chinese factories, they just had photocopies of licenses for various things, or shared licenses for various brands, duplicate numbers. Example: A company would have a license for 100,000 DVD players, but would duplicate that license in 10 seperate 100,000 unit orders, shipped to different countries etc. There are always sinister ways around these laws and licenses.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 AM   #4

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but are you saying Canada is riding on the back of the USA? "Good enough for them, good enough for us" type thing?

The EPA is American and Enviorement Canada, is, well, Canadian
Did anything change recently?

Thanks

pete

Old 10-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #5

I *think* you will find that it all depends where we are on the election cycle. If an election is looming, and the current government in power feels that they will gain something by getting the "tree hugger" support, then we are likely to see all manner of foolishness enacted into law.

Did anything change recently?

Not so recently, and you can thank Brian, and his merry band of bum buddies. It comes down to "The North American Free Trade Agreement". Because these types of vehicles are still manufactured in the US (off-road utility type vehicles) placing import restrictions on such vehicles, for whatever reason, contravenes the free trade agreement we have with the US. So, in fact, what is "good enough" for them, is good enough for us.

Scooters/motorcycles (road legal) need EPA certification from the US right now for importation (unless they are imported as "off road"). They also need approval from Transport Canada.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #6

What it means is that the "Importer" will need to get the product EPA certified in there name before it is allowed into Canada. They will not except a "Certificate" from the manufacturer that states it passes EPA standards.

It boils down to this:

If I want to bring a bike over from china to sell,I would have to get the bike here then send it to get it EPA tested and once the testing passes then I can order my container of that product to sell.

If I have 3 sizes of bikes,I need 3 separate tests showing it passed the testing.

We always had the standards in place its just that the importer will have to put up the $$$$ of getting it done instead of the Manufacturer. This will weed out the small players.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #7

Yes..........but:

We are shortly going to get an absolutely dismal budget which, with a bit of luck, will trigger an election. Again, with a bit of luck, the current flock of crooks will be going down the road, kicking stones. New crooks, new agenda, maybe nothing will come to pass.

* I really gotta scratch my head just a little bit.*

It seems to me that all sense has left the building. How can ANYONE be concerned about "greening" small air cooled engines, that literally sip fuel, when I can go out and buy a Hummer that gets 8mpg that is EPA certified.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen

Scooters/motorcycles (road legal) need EPA certification from the US right now for importation (unless they are imported as "off road"). They also need approval from Transport Canada.

From my understanding its for all..On and Offroad(Dirtbikes,Atv's ect). I'm still trying to get the skinny on it so bear with me until I get in touch with my rep from MIAC. I know the 49cc 2 stroke crap will be gone and I do believe the 50cc-70cc ATV will be gone as well but dont quote me on that.

Like I said, I'm still trying to find out.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #9

I sure hope we see an election, but there's no way the Liberals will force one now.
They know that if they do, we'll see a Conservative majority.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
I sure hope we see an election, but there's no way the Liberals will force one now.
They know that if they do, we'll see a Conservative majority.
May your southern neighbor be so lucky. :?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #11

we'll see a Conservative majority

Not with the current deficit they are running. When the numbers come out I expect many Canadians to die of shock.

I know the 49cc 2 stroke crap will be gone

Saying this is kinda a double edged sword. As far as I can figure, the Chinese copied about the best small 2 cycle engine out there (Tanaka), is it the engine's fault they took their "good enough" attitude, applied it to these engines, and built boat loads of junk? Anyone who works on Chinese product is familiar with this "good enough" philosophy, many times it is "good enough", sometimes it's not.