Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Royal Enfield in Canada

It looks like Royal Enfield is returning to Canada... I spotted them on the exhibitor list of the Vancouver Motorcycle Show. http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.ca/

Old 11-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #2

Yes but:

Not exactly the Royal Enfield of old, these Royal Enfields are made in India:

http://www.royalenfield.com/

Royal Enfield has recently partnered with Canadian distributor Bullet Motorcycles to begin selling Enfield bikes and accessories across Canada.

Distributor Bullet Motorcycles Ltd. of Edmonton

Who is NOT listed in the "yellow pages", but is advertising a phone number of 780-970-2909.

Argyll Road #8105
Edmonton T6C-4B2
Alberta
Canada
Contact persons:
Mr. Robert McMullen – (780)970-2909

I wish them luck.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #3

Royal Enfield has been made in India for over 50 years.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Royal Enfield has been made in India for over 50 years.
There are a lot of things that have been made in India over the years. (India, somewhat like Canada, happened to be a British colony for quite a while) ANY Royal Enfield motorcycles sold in Canada up until this point in time, either came from Britain, as Royal Enfields, or from the US, as Indians (Royal Enfield owned a % Indian for a time, and sold Royal Enfields with an Indian badge). Royal Enfield (UK) died in 1971. Royal Enfields made in India have never been commercially marketed in Canada until this attempt.

In the '70s I owned a thing called a "Pashley Enfield", which was a 350 Enfield Bullet mated to commercial body by the Pashley cycle company in Birmingham England. I *think* at the time I paid $200 for it. It was once used by the City of Toronto to collect money from parking meters.

http://triporteurs.wordpress.com/pag...frican-market/

Mine was chain driven, the rear end looking like it came from Leyland, a sprocket instead of a crown gear, and the front milled out to allow the chain to enter/exit. You adjusted the chain by sliding the rear frame rearwards.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #5

Not quite.

There *was* a Royal Enfield distributor in Canada for a few years, around 1998-2002, somewhere in that neighbourhood. Specifically, they were the "made in india" models, as the parent company in England had tanked in the 1971 or therabouts.

If I recall correctly, the English Enfield brand was absorbed into the ill-fated Norton-Villiers group.

As part of my obsessive-compulsive urge to own multiple strange motorcycles, I had looked into importing a RE from India a few years ago, but at that time, The former Canadian distributor still held the Transport Canada certificates, therefore, just like a CJ, or any other import bike, the 15 year rule would have to apply,(or buy one from the bankrupt distributor) and I wasn't quite ready to introduce myself to that world of hurt.

As I understand it, in the last couple of years, RE has completely re-vamped their engines, more leak-proof, cleaner, and EPA compliant, etc. But in other parts of the world, the old "Bullet" 350, can still be bought, identical to one you could have bought from England in the '60's.

As I understand it, originally, Indian Enfield has bought license to the Enfield single cylender models, for their military in the 1950's, with some updates sent from England in the early 60's. Kind Of like China's CJ750, no one ever told them to stop, so they just kept banging them out. From what I understand, They're a very competent copy of the same version you could have bought from England, complete with oil leaks, horrible vibration, and kookie electrical systems.

But yeah, I want one.

--Vince

Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #6

Yeah I forget the name of the importer, they were on the island I believe...

There have been some guys locally who import them... They use old frames but basically redo the whole bike, so it is a restored 15+ year old bike. They had them on eBay I think, and also on craigslist.

I'm definitely interested in checking them out at the bike show... I wonder what the price point will be, given the nature of the bike it should be relatively low, but judging by the American prices, I think the bike is going to be over priced and it will hurt their chance to survive.

Hey W&G, maybe we could talk 3D Cycles into carrying these things... They take chances with different products, carrying Lifan in the past and Konker...

Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #7

That would be cool. Imagine if Darwin carried the Royal Enfield and the CJ750, along with parts. I'd have a hard time resisting a CJ (minus the sidecar).

Do you know if they're moving forward with SAGA?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #8

I'm not sure, maybe Brad would know?