Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #46

When I was young there was no free health care (where I lived). You went to your doctor: you were seen by his nurse, she determined if you, in fact, needed to see the doctor, if she could handle the problem she did, and the doctor saw only patients needing his direct care. The system HAD to be efficient, folks could not afford otherwise.

Then free health care kicked in.

I have seen changes in our "free" health care system since it started. At one point you got a letter in the mail asking you to "sign off" on treatment you received for the preceding month (so the doctor got paid).

I am not unhappy with our Canadian health care system as it currently stands, but it could be a lot better. I *think* something is lost between doctor and patient when a 3rd party pays the doctor (the loss being customer satisfaction). I also *think* the old model where the nurse "filters" out (and deals with) the crap is far superior (and efficient) than what we have today. (there are far too many people abusing our health system with stuff they wouldn't be if they had to pay, eg. kids with colds).

Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
When I was young there was no free health care (where I lived). You went to your doctor: you were seen by his nurse, she determined if you, in fact, needed to see the doctor, if she could handle the problem she did, and the doctor saw only patients needing his direct care. The system HAD to be efficient, folks could not afford otherwise.

Then free health care kicked in.

I have seen changes in our "free" health care system since it started. At one point you got a letter in the mail asking you to "sign off" on treatment you received for the preceding month (so the doctor got paid).

I am not unhappy with our Canadian health care system as it currently stands, but it could be a lot better. I *think* something is lost between doctor and patient when a 3rd party pays the doctor (the loss being customer satisfaction). I also *think* the old model where the nurse "filters" out (and deals with) the crap is far superior (and efficient) than what we have today. (there are far too many people abusing our health system with stuff they wouldn't be if they had to pay, eg. kids with colds).

I think you are the first Canadian that is advance in years to comment. Notice I didn't call you old.

Great points.

In the US the use of minute clinics to take care of those small things that most nurses can handle is really spreading. Most don't take insurance and provide a service for about $20. Less than most deductibles. Typically located in pharmacies. These really can handle alot of the care placed on a GP. Downside is there is no relationship. Plus is for those without insurance or only castrophic coverage like I had in college.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #48

i would encourage everyone to investigate uncle ted's solution. i have asked a couple of drs if it would work and havent herd one say it was foolish 8O
i am not a fan of his music just the ideas
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #49

For a while I lived in Canada's smallest Province, having moved there from Ontario, and I was personally shocked at the cost of delivering "universal health care". At that time I did some research into the thing and found 126 full time "support staff" employed Province wide per doctor. Now, I can't say as to what these people were actually doing, and I realize that some support staff is necessary, but 126? It seemed to me at the time that there were an excessive number of "friends and neighbors" of the Politicians employed.

is advance in years

Careful. (the "old poop")

The most important thing missing here (in Canada) is that the doctors somehow don't feel like they are employed by their patients. Back when you had to sign off so the doctor got paid they sure made a bit of effort in the customer satisfaction end of things, now it seems like they don't care if you are satisfied, or not, because they are going to get paid anyway.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #50

I like that idea that you need to sign off before the doctor gets paid. At least they would know what doctors are doing a good job to.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
i would encourage everyone to investigate uncle ted's solution. i have asked a couple of drs if it would work and havent herd one say it was foolish 8O
i am not a fan of his music just the ideas
For those who don't know Ted.
http://www.wacotrib.com/opin/content...wacnugent.html

Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Dr. Nuge to the rescue. Want to improve your health and reduce health care costs at the same time? Get up off the couch, get active, get rid of all the junk food and poisons in your life and quit smoking. It is so easy it’s stupid.
These are wise words.

Quote:
Strangling the free market with a government-run health care program and price controls to doctors and hospitals will cause the state of health care to decline. It will be rationed. Costs will continue to escalate. Who doesn’t know this?
I don't know if the state of health care here has declined, I do know some of the contracted out services like hospital cleaning are sometimes questionable. Rationed, well the other Canadians here have more experience with the system. Costs continuing to escalate, that is true for sure.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #53

I don't know if rationed is the right word. I say delayed may be more appropriate. You probably get the care, just might have to wait alittle.

Hey we got rid of the satellite tv, and my kids think tomatoes are candy.