Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
yellow & red goes to the starter switch and then to ground/ the green & red should be hot when the key is on.
In your pic the 5 wire plug below the solenoid plug is the rectifier plug. check the black wire should just end at that plug use it for power to the starter.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #17

[quote]You have a volt meter, right? You hear the solenoid click when you hit the start button, right? Your battery is fully charged by you, not "as shipped"?

Verify that 12V+ is available to the solenoid, there should be a larger gauge wire connected from it to the 12V+ terminal of the battery.

Got 12V+ from the battery to the solenoid? If yes, next paragraph, if not, make the proper repairs

Connect to the solenoid terminal that leads to the starter motor, looking for 12V+ when you hit the starter button. Got 12V+ there? Yes, next paragraph. No, bad solenoid.

Move to the other end of the wire, where it connects to the starter motor itself, hit the starter button and see if 12V+ is there. No, bad wire. Yes, could be a bad starter motor, or a misaligned motor brush
[quote]

Hi Obi,

I checked all of that as indicated in my first and third post. I think we have in narrowed down to improper wiring from the factory or defective solenoid. It appears the same exact thing occurred on MsRandi's Viva and she is trying to help me with a fix. If I understand correctly there should be an additional hot wire routed to the solenoid, I currently have one large hot from the battery and one to the started but no trigger 12v volt wire.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
yellow & red goes to the starter switch and then to ground/ the green & red should be hot when the key is on.
In your pic the 5 wire plug below the solenoid plug is the rectifier plug. check the black wire should just end at that plug use it for power to the starter.
Cool!!!
I am going to run down to the garage ant try it. I will either fix it or burn it down to the ground
Thanks again I will let you know how it works out.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #19

Maybe I misunderstood, I thought you had solenoid "click", which would mean the starter switch side of the circuit is working.

Regardless, looks like you're on the way to getting it fixed.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #20

Quote:
I want to give a very big thank you to MsRandi, You rock !!!!!! It appears that we had our bikes wired at 4:55pm on Friday LOL. I followed your instructions and sure enough I am now in the 20th century with electric start. After looking at the complete wiring harness of this bike I am going do some cost effective modifications.

I will post the mods with pics as I complete them. The bullet connections on this bike below the instrument cluster need to be upgraded and for about $15 I think I can come up with a bullet proof modification. I am also going to tinker with shock replacement and a softer seat.

Thanks again,
Ray

PS I will speak to tech support tomorrow about the kick starter to see if there is a solution. I may be able to cut the kick starter in the center and weld in a outward bend to clear the brake linkage.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by morespl
I am also going to tinker with shock replacement and a softer seat.
I would be intereseted to hear what you find.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)