Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #1

Calling ALL High Milers. Long term issues?????

I know several of you have 2, 5, 10 and even 15 thousand miles on your China bikes. I just turned over 100 miles this weekend on the Roketa. Vermont is FINALLY thawing out. Anyway, I am looking for info on potential high mileage issues down the road. Leaky gaskets, bad bearings, etc. How are they holding up? BTW, seems every time I get out on my bike it picks up a little more power. Hills I was dropping gears in before I can now pull in 4th and 5th. I am very satisfied so far. One of the best investments I've ever made. Ride on China Bike brothers and sisters

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #2

5200 miles. Dad's about 3100 miles

-500miles battery cage (Dad hasn't broken yet, 3000+ miles)
-A couple rear spokes (from jumping stuff) (None for Dad)
-3300miles headlight bulb (About the same for Dad)
-Back rack (due to carrying too much in my case and jumping stuff) (nothing here for Dad)
-the rear brake fix (should have done during initial prep) (Same for Dad's)
-will do the FMY clutch spring fix at the next oil change (6000miles). It seems fine now, but I know that it will have the tendency to slip when I change the oil.

Pretty much all smiles after I figured out these bikes' limitations.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #3

Wow, Jason. That's pretty damn amazing that these bikes are the quality they are. I too had to do the rear brake fix. You nailed it. Simple misplacement of the master cylinder bracket on the frame. I choose to relocate the master cylinder. I re-drilled the top mounting hole closer to the front to stand up the cylinder. I had to shave some of the frame bracket away so the cylinder would sit flat again. Then I drilled a new mounting hole in the pedal to line the push rod back up. Works fine now, no more hanging. Did you add the rear brake fix to the prep thread? Definately needed on the Roketas, atleast. I took my son out for a few short rides this weekend. We total about 320 lbs with gear on and it took the weight just fine. The rear shock actually MOVED a little while hitting bumps, lol. I got 58 mpg with both of us on there. Not bad with that weight, pulling up hills constantly, and a tight motor yet. I am impressed so far. BTW, reaming out the main jet took care of the lean condition. Good to go now!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #4

I did post it in the prep thread, but you are welcome to add this as an alternative option. Either way everyone will understand what needs to happen to fix the problem.

Yes, as I've posted before, I'm very pleased with ours and am trying to round up another local that would like to buy one so I can get the discounted price for (2) instead of just buying one at full price plus shipping. The extra dough I save would go toward another set of Barracuda's to be put on during assembly. Did I mention how much I like these? :roll:

Anyway glad to see you are finally able to get out there and put some miles on yours. I know Dad did some two up riding with my sister, but I couldn't really see me and him on it together. That's just a funny picture to imagine anyway. I took my rear foot rests off during assembly cause I knew I wouldn't be riding anybody. I think I'm near the limit when I have on all my gear and the case full anyway.

Are you still considering the upgrade main jet? I would be interested to know how that kind of mod would work with the stock pilot jet or if it would need to be replaced too. On the other hand, I'm less inclined to mod ours since they are running so well as they are now, unless I had some confirmation that it is a worthwhile pursuit.

Jason

Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #5

If you have put on 5000 miles and heven't burned the motor down yet, I'd just keep running it. These motors must like being run lean to get that many miles without problems. My spark plug was almost white, and I was afraid of seizure, especially on an air cooled motor, but apparently these motors don't mind either way. I'd just keep it like it is and run it untill it wont run any longer. You already got your money's worth out of it with that many miles .

Old 03-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #6

Red - Have you put on 100 miles or kilos?

I've got 170 kilos on mine in less than 2 weeks. Fun. Pulled some steep hills this weekend in 1st gear.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
If you have put on 5000 miles and heven't burned the motor down yet, I'd just keep running it. These motors must like being run lean to get that many miles without problems. My spark plug was almost white, and I was afraid of seizure, especially on an air cooled motor, but apparently these motors don't mind either way. I'd just keep it like it is and run it untill it wont run any longer. You already got your money's worth out of it with that many miles .
Wouldn't the engine run poorly if it were too lean? As I had mentioned, there are no dead spots in throttle response and top end shows an indicated 82mph even with my fat a$$. Dad's a little faster, but he only weighs 180lbs. Also, we rarely have to choke them to start and they start on the first crank with no need to touch the throttle. In fact, I usually roll out my garage down my driveway in the morning, hit the starter when I roll into the street and click it into second and go. No idle or warmup needed.

Jason

Old 03-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
I can see that the clutch will need some help. if you are runing high gears. mine dos not slip yet but i think it will be one of first big things to go. maybe we can find barneet spings that will fit. the rest of the bike keeps taking a beting. we ride every week to some place on the Island.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRandi
I can see that the clutch will need some help. if you are runing high gears. mine dos not slip yet but i think it will be one of first big things to go. maybe we can find barneet spings that will fit. the rest of the bike keeps taking a beting. we ride every week to some place on the Island.
If you do match up some aftermarket springs I would like to know. I'll probably just do what FMY did and add a couple of washers to increase clamping force on the disks.

Jason

Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #10

Jason.......now that we've gotten warmer weather here,....no choke needed, either.......starts right up and ready to ride after just a brief warm up...........carbureation seems perfect under all conditions.....

did lower the clip one notch/raised the needle initially

after reading and following posts on here now for a couple months,....I'm impressed by the lack of engine and electrical problems....the bikes seem great in those respects........most issues seem initial set-up related, and vender/quality control related,.....for example, cables.....
2019 Brozz 250

Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #11

Agreed, these are bikes for guys(and girls) that like to tinker. If you want a bike that you just buy and ride then these aren't the bikes for most people. However, once they are set up and the little things are taken care of they are very dependable and seem to be a great value for the money.

Jason

Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
My spark plug was almost white, and I was afraid of seizure,
Well, if it were a two stroke, you might be right. Actually, mine fowls a plug in real cold weather now and then from the starting procedure. Choke seems to load it up fairly easily. I have to clean a plug off now and then.

I've only got MAYBE 1500K on mine, odo broke at 200 Km. The rear tire is showing about 1000-1500K miles wear on it, though and just thinking back on all the gas ups. I had to pull the rear wheel and tighten/align the rear shortly after getting it. The rear air valve on the tube just decided to break off, put new tubes in. Had to adjust the chain a bunch, have a new one to go on it, just trying to get the miles out of the junky stock one. I'm a cheap SOB, okay? Had a clutch cable brake, replaced. Had a short in the left turn signal, fixed and replaced flasher. Other than that, no problems at all. I've had it two years now, just run it around town and down on my place tending to my feeders and such. Planning to ride it down there (about 30 miles of open highway) with a bag of feed soon. I've never actually had it out on the highway for an extended period at 60 mph. We'll see how that goes. I'll take the cell phone and make sure the wife's home. But, really, I've flogged this thing pretty good and it's given me hardly any reason to worry about it motor wise. Even if the motor does blow in the future, I can get a brand new one for 500 bucks, why rebuild it?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #13

As everyone probably knows, I run a Lifan engine in an XR200. It has completed an enduro season with my daughter aboard, finishing in 2nd place of her class.

I have also used the bike for arrowing duty a few times, lots of stop and go, idling while hot, pretty severe duty when you think about it. I've also had it out to play, and I play hard!

I give the machine no quarter, and it keeps humming along.

The 163FML2 motor, at $325, has been an excellent purchase!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #14

Congrats to your Daughter OB1! Our racing season is just getting started and in TX you are done.