Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2023, 01:32 PM   #151

I meant a person who welds when I said "welder". Welding is something I'm just not interested in at all. My neighbor has a welder and can weld, but he admittedly sucks at it. So, if I want it done right, I will have to take it to someone to weld up, and the cost of doing that might justify just getting an aftermarket exhaust. The problem for me is these aftermarket exhausts are NOT a direct bolt on, meaning you have to trim plastic unless you want it to melt onto your new exhaust. Sure wish the China folks could see how much money they would make if they produced some decent bolt on hop-ups, like an exhaust with no cat.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I meant a person who welds when I said "welder". Welding is something I'm just not interested in at all. My neighbor has a welder and can weld, but he admittedly sucks at it. So, if I want it done right, I will have to take it to someone to weld up, and the cost of doing that might justify just getting an aftermarket exhaust. The problem for me is these aftermarket exhausts are NOT a direct bolt on, meaning you have to trim plastic unless you want it to melt onto your new exhaust. Sure wish the China folks could see how much money they would make if they produced some decent bolt on hop-ups, like an exhaust with no cat.
If your neighbor is willing to do it, then I would let him. It doesn't have to be a professional job. You neighbor probably has a piece of pipe laying around too . I'm telling on myself , but I admit that I'm tight, but I cut the piece for mine out of an old Dish Network Satalite mount, and it was just about right. Everything that I have done to my Hawk has been cheaper than what I have done to the TBR7, but they both benefited from everything I have did. I personally like the fit of the stock exhaust too. I ported the head on my TBR7 recently but I will be doing the Hawk pretty soon as well, but I don't get in any hurry, because the Hawk already suits my needs.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #153

Hilarious. I have some Dish Network mounts from the previous renter lying around. That's not being "tight", that's being "resourceful".

I will see if he's willing, which he usually is. I may need to pay him, tho, which is fine.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-20-2023, 02:24 PM   #154

Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Hilarious. I have some Dish Network mounts from the previous renter lying around. That's not being "tight", that's being "resourceful".

I will see if he's willing, which he usually is. I may need to pay him, tho, which is fine.
The Dish network pipe is just a little bigger, which is good because it's the perfect size to fit up to the existing beads,and makes welding a snap. Just be careful cutting the cat off . I guess all us China Bike owners are a little tight. LOL

Old 08-20-2023, 05:48 PM   #155

Don't really need to be an expert to metal fab a mild steel exhaust pipe. My exhaust pipe has basically been my welding "apprenticeship" sure it might have a few internal baffles and pin hole leaks, but with a flap disc, high temp paint and exhaust wrap any weld jank can be throw rugged over...

Structural frames and fluid/pressure vessels is where a professional might be a better and safer expense.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:26 AM   #156

Look what I found 45 miles from my front door. 90+ miles round trip, I'm a hurtin' unit and loving every minute of it!!

Middle Piney Lake via X-PRO Hawk 250, a few miles up from the Sacagawea Camp Ground. Can you tell you've just entered a forest? Bridger-Teton National, to be exact.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk08.21.2023.1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	29959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk08.21.2023.2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	29960  

Old 08-22-2023, 04:51 AM   #157

Now that's awesome. Personally, that's why I got a street legal dirt bike. Get there, and explore!!!

We are in a heat wave, and that water looks nice and cool. I'd be swimming in it!

There is an excellent hiking trail #2062(middle piney). Can't take the bike up there, but the views look great!
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/w...piney-trail--2

Last edited by Thumper; 08-22-2023 at 07:34 AM.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #158

If your unit is hurting, try different pants . LOL
Seriously though, I have noticed that some pants are far more comfortable than others on these bikes, especially when riding in bumpy, hilly conditions.

Old 09-06-2023, 01:05 PM   #159

Took the Hawk for a little evening fishing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk09.05.2023.1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	30020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk09.05.2023.2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	30021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk09.05.2023.3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	30022  

Old 09-08-2023, 04:37 PM   #160

great pics. bike looks great. I too am thinking about an aftermarket exhaust. the difference that the Nibbi carb and cold air intake made is pretty substantial, especially when merging or climbing hills. makes me want to take it to the next level (i know..i know..considering my past posts..i know hehehe). have fun bro!

Old 09-08-2023, 08:45 PM   #161

Hey my after market exhaust fit fine,needed nothing to install.Amazon 70 dollars.Get a new copper exhaust gasket,pipe dose not come with one.

Old 09-09-2023, 12:03 PM   #162

You got a link to that thing, buzz?

Old 09-13-2023, 03:03 PM   #163

What do you guys think of the Stoneman exhaust? The reviews seem pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TE7K35KG&psc=1

Well, I got the 16t front sprocket installed and I gotta say, I believe I found the sweet spot for stock carb, Nibbi air filter and stock exhaust with silencer removed from rear type power.

Stock: f15t/r50t = .300
Common: f17t/r45t = .377
Mine: f16t/r47t = .340

That sprocket combination with my fat ass ~ 250lbs and mostly stock carbed power seems to be the sweet spot. The 17/50 is basically identical to the 16/47, unfortunately I cut my new chain too short to fit the 50t stock rear sprocket. After putting the JT 47t on, I'm glad I did because it's just a better quality sprocket and took up the bit of space between the snap ring and removed the resulting wobble.

So, I was actually running 17/47 for a while and found that 5th gear was useless unless there was zero wind or I was going downhill. That was not going to work for me and I decided to try the 16t sprocket. Now she pulls a little while going into the wind, uphill and will not lose rpm/speed but will drop from ~60 to 55mph and hold.

55mph = 6600rpm
60mph = 7000rpm

I still need to take my carb off and adjust it, possibly re-jet a little fatter. I might get a slight power gain when I finally do that.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:20 PM   #164

@ 200pounds/90kg I found 17/45 was pretty close on the CG250 with an 18" rear wheel for backroad/mainroad use... Most gears had a reason to exists rather than just trying to skip to get into 5th for everything.

Trying 16/44 for more hill climb and stop start acceleration...also a little less reciprocating mass...'negligible' which has made improvements in those areas.

However as I'm dialing in the big bore kit I think 17/44 will end up being my personal optimal gear ratio. As I am finding some hill inclines while still capable in 5th could be better tackled in 4th or 3rd. I find 2nd and 3rd gear seem hardly used...

which leaves 5th gear as the primary 'overdrive' duty so trying that get cruising speed at any reduction in engine RPM is beneficial.

However I am yet to test 17/44 in a headwind attempting 65mph/100kph.

For off-road single track I could just chuck in a smaller front to improve tractor factor....

in the end the perfect gear ratio setup is up to the riders needs and environment...

Old 09-13-2023, 06:05 PM   #165

My goal was to be able to cruise at 55mph and get up to 60mph if necessary. Any faster than 60 on these nobby tires is just too sketchy for me. I get a lot of wind where I'm at and there be hills. I found with 17/47, I could wind 4th all the way out to almost 55 but the moment I switched to 5th I would lose all momentum and 5th had no pull at all and I would gradually lose speed and rpm. Even on flat land with no wind it struggled to achieve 60mph. I don't want to be shifting between 4th and 5th at around 50mph while a car doing 75mph approaches from the rear.