Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #166

I use either satin black or low-gloss black heat paint on exhaust headers. I love the look.

Thanks for posting about the cooler. I wondered how much extra oil they would hold. Are you considering a fan for it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #167

No fan, not even sure the oil cooler is necessary. Might not leave it on.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #168

You indicated that it's getting hot, so it strikes me as a benefit. It's exchanging engine heat for lower temps, so that has to be a good thing. I'd love to plumb a gauge into it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #169

Now that I think about it, Spud installed a cooler on his XR650L, and you can see pics in posts #95 and #102: Oil Cooler Installation

Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You indicated that it's getting hot, so it strikes me as a benefit. It's exchanging engine heat for lower temps, so that has to be a good thing. I'd love to plumb a gauge into it.
I've ordered a oil temp gauge that I hope I can install in the port in the stock and cooler valve cover so I can test the cooler.

Any ideas?

I have a CHT gauge installed which I hope to also use to test. Need to make some runs with stock valve cover and immediately make the same runs with the cooler installed.

Last edited by Barnone; 07-13-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #171

Quote:
Now that I think about it, Spud installed a cooler on his XR650L, and you can see pics in posts #95 and #102: Oil Cooler Installation
Thanks for the link. Good read. I'll see about a TTO water temp gauge.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #172

I've been thinking the same thing. Do you have a link to the oil temp gauge you ordered? I'd like to get an idea of average baseline oil temp before I install a cooler. My next step is to remove the plug on the valve cover and measure the thread, so I can work with it.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #173

On another note, I noticed that your new cover doesn't have the bypass valve. That doesn't matter where you live, but I might like to switch the cooler off in colder weather. I think I'll order one with the valve.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #174

Quote:
I've been thinking the same thing. Do you have a link to the oil temp gauge you ordered? I'd like to get an idea of average baseline oil temp before I install a cooler. My next step is to remove the plug on the valve cover and measure the thread, so I can work with it.
I'm still looking for an oil temp gauge. The one I ordered won't work without some mods. I would like a gauge that will work with that port so I can do a before and after.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #175

Quote:
On another note, I noticed that your new cover doesn't have the bypass valve. That doesn't matter where you live, but I might like to switch the cooler off in colder weather. I think I'll order one with the valve.
How about just covering the radiator in cold weather? What bike do you have with the Honda CG125 clone engine?

Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #176

Quote:
My next step is to remove the plug on the valve cover and measure the thread, so I can work with it.
I believe that is a Bolt M6×12 according to this.
http://www.df-motor.com/MLC/Parts%20...TB-B(2014).pdf

Old 08-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
How about just covering the radiator in cold weather? What bike do you have with the Honda CG125 clone engine?
That's workable, but I'd rather have the valve, since it's so inexpensive. Flip the lever, ride on.

I have a few CG motors around. I'm currently tooling around on Lifanda, my 200cc Lifan dual sport. I have the same motor in my quad. Son of Weldangrind has a 230cc in his '83 XR200R, but I'm gonna confiscate that motor for my Lifan; he'll get a genuine Honda motor in exchange.

I have a CG200 and a CG230 on the floor, and I have a CG250 (unknown actual displacement at this time) that is liquid cooled, also on the floor. Haven't decided what I'll do with that one yet. It might be fun to build a liquid cooled adventure bike, but I'm not sure I want to deal with rads. I might stick it in my quad.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #178

Quote:
I believe that is a Bolt M6×12 according to this.
http://www.df-motor.com/MLC/Parts%20...TB-B(2014).pdf
Thanks for letting me know. I might buy some loner bolts in that thread size, drill them out and adapt them to NPT for gauge use. Another option is to adapt to compression fittings for use with an old-school pressure gauge that uses tubing. It would need to be a very low pressure gauge, since I doubt that these bikes make more than a few psi.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #179

Quote:
What bike do you have with the Honda CG125 clone engine?
If you're interested, you can read about my adventures here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12512

Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #180

Quote:
If you're interested, you can read about my adventures here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12512
Neat. Any performance tips on the 167fmm?