Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #181

Jim, can you see how this pic works?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
Lucky for me the blaster seat just clicks right in.
Mine would too, but I zip tied the battery in the way since I couldn't get the body panel on with the new air filter.

Doc, this is how it turns out

Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #183

Looks great, thanks.

BTW The Dirt Rat's wiring is similar. Utilitarian. And hidden. :roll:

Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #184

Similar to?

I found the topic I was looking for regarding the battery box and air filter, Waynev relocated the battery to make it fit.
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...=106171#106171

Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #185

Thanks Jim I figured it out!

After 4,000 posts I should have an avatar! :P

Old 02-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #186

Your skid plate looks just like mine now, as if you hogged it out with a steak knife.

Your Beast is identical to TurboT's, and his doesn't have the hole drilled and tapped either. It's a bit of a nuisance, but all you have to do is roll the right wheels onto some lumber to simulate a bike on a side stand. The old XR's only used the screen as a drain point, IIRC.

Your choice of fuel valve location looks much more logical than mine. It looks like a smooth radius out of the tank.

I install the body kit first and then squish the filter into place against the battery box. When (not if) my battery dies, I'll buy a bigger one and fab a box like waynev did.

The clutch lever looks like a good fit, and the tail light looks awesome.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #187

Yeah it (the skid plate) doesn't look great, I may take it off one day and make one that bolts on out of aluminum.

I tried to keep the path of the fuel line as straight forward and smooth as possible. I also cut a piece of mudflap for behind the valve, and rounded the back of it with the grinder to fit the tube frame.

The clutch lever you picked up for me fits great, thank you very much, I have some cash for you with your dvd when I return it, as well as your tap and die.

I planned on making the body kit fit today, but got sidetracked with another project.

I built myself a trailer hitch...

It mounts to the top shock mount, and to the rear mount points for the back roll / light bar thing (the bar with the tail light).

I got some nice square tube that fits perfectly inside the outer tube. Just gave it all a shot of paint and will install it tomorrow.

I also cleaned up the exhaust heat shields, painted them, and got some new bolts for them (with lock washers and loctite).

Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #188

Good work. That looks like a very strong hitch. I don't know about locktite in high heat situations... My experiance with exhaust heat shields is that the bolts tened to sieze up on their own, I use graphite based hi temp antisieze on them...

Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #189

Thanks Doc

I've experienced lots of missing heat shield or heat shield screws on Chinese exhaust systems, in fact my beast was missing a screw and the rest had the heads screwed up, maybe from what you describe, or maybe the P.O. was trying to really snug them up, I don't know. With the bolts I have in now it shouldn't be too big of a problem, I only used the blue loctite also.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #190

Yeah, those hex head bolts won't be a problem, not like the awful phillips screws that came stock.

Mad welding skills! You know that I'm gonna pirate that idea too. Does the receiver line up with the trailer you plan to use?

You mentioned that you started the quad and rode it a bit without the body kit and seat; how did it run for you?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #191

My dad called the other day, he says it is co2/argon.

I think my welding on the hitch looks a lot nicer then it did on the swingarm, I guess I just need practice.

The receiver is most likely too high, but I was just going to make a slight drop for the hitch.

I noticed that I forgot to add a tow hook/hoop to the rear so I modified the hitch a bit more today.

I bought an eye bolt, and bent it over and cut off the threaded part. Stuck it on the bottom.

I also got the pin for the hitch

I got my air cleaner to fit. I put the body panels on, then looked it over. I'm still using the stock battery box, but with the plastic on the quad I took a hacksaw and cut away some of the extra part of the box.

Now it fits just right.

I got the body all on, I need to get some of the clips and screws for mounting it, I had to use nuts and bolts, and it's kind of a pain.

It runs good, but it needs a clutch adjustment, and maybe adjust the angle on the shift lever.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #192

It looks great Jim!

Did you swap the spring from the old carb to the new one?

I'm not surprised by the Argon content in the shielding gas; the weld quality was quite good, and straight CO2 should have a lot of spatter.

Do you have a cable luber? That makes clutch adjustment much easier. I can drop mine off if you like. I have my shifter adjusted quite high to accomodate my dirt bike boots.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #193

I did swap the spring, though I was wondering how necessary it is? The cable seems to push the lever back and forth pretty well?

I think the gas is about out now, but yeah on the bottle it says co2/inert gas mixture... I guess we just didn't look hard enough

I don't have a cable luber, but my dad may... I don't know, I neglect things like that I never bothered with the cables on the Lifan's or the other atv, except I once greased the lifan speedo cable and learned my lesson about over greasing it with the wrong grease. It made the speedometer very jumpy and inaccurate.

I don't really wear boots much, but my lever seems a little high currently. Although, the clutch being out of adjustment also makes it tougher. I just need to get around to it.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #194

We didn't swap the spring over on TurboT's quad either, and the consequence was that the choke lever would move while he was riding. It was very annoying.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #195

Oh I did swap it, I just didn't think it was too necessary but it sounds like it was good I did.