Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2016, 01:58 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
...PS... That Zongshen motor looks a bit better built inside than most other chinese bikes
I have been inside of.....
Zongshen is commited to quality control. I'm sure the entire bike, as well as the engine, is manufactured to a higher standard than many other Chinese motorcycles.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #272

Oil pump chain and sprockets look the same as the Lifan. Will CSC sell me a set?

I see 2 differences under the clutch cover, the Lifan uses a 4 spring clutch and straight cut balance shaft gears.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
Dan:

That's a good question. I'll have a good answer (and an update to the tutorial) by the time the bikes arrive.

There seems to be several opinions on this. One is that you don't ever need to clean it if you change the oil regularly and keep the strainer clean. Another is that you should clean it when you do a clutch replacement because you'll be in there anyway. And the third is that you should do it every 7500 miles, based on what Honda originally recommended for the CG125, which is kind of the grand-daddy for all of these engines (but guys who have played with those say they never found any contaminants in the centrifugal oil cleaner). We're talking to Zongshen about this now. And, of course, we'll keep an eye on this with our bikes, as we intend to rack up more than a few miles on them.

I'm sure others will have inputs on this question. We're eager to hear from everyone.
There's more to the story...

The centrifugal oil cleaner will clog up with goo that resembles anti-seize, when you're dealing with a OHC engine, like the CRF or XR that hasn't been maintained. If the cam chain is too loose, it'll carve the surrounding aluminum and deposit it in the oil, where it will be captured by the centrifugal oil cleaner.

The CG pushrod engine doesn't have a cam chain, and therefore has nothing to carve up the aluminum. The centrifugal oil cleaner should be cleaned occasionally, but not often. If the oil screen is cleaned each time the oil is changed (and the oil is changed at suitable intervals), the centrifugal oil cleaner will be quite clean.

If you choose to take the centrifugal oil cleaner apart, ensure that you have a replacement gasket on hand. Coat the new gasket with a light film of grease to prevent it from tearing during future inspections.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
There's more to the story...

The centrifugal oil cleaner will clog up with goo that resembles anti-seize, when you're dealing with a OHC engine, like the CRF or XR that hasn't been maintained. If the cam chain is too loose, it'll carve the surrounding aluminum and deposit it in the oil, where it will be captured by the centrifugal oil cleaner.

The CG pushrod engine doesn't have a cam chain, and therefore has nothing to carve up the aluminum. The centrifugal oil cleaner should be cleaned occasionally, but not often. If the oil screen is cleaned each time the oil is changed (and the oil is changed at suitable intervals), the centrifugal oil cleaner will be quite clean.

If you choose to take the centrifugal oil cleaner apart, ensure that you have a replacement gasket on hand. Coat the new gasket with a light film of grease to prevent it from tearing during future inspections.
Thanks for posting the informative, detailed answer, Weld.

Are you talking about the right crankcase gasket?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #275

I can't say that I've been super excited about this Hondoid version that's being offered from Zong (I know, Zong makes a fine product). I know I've probably been one of the most outspoken "doubters" here about it, just due to the fact I see a ton of old tech on the TT 250 that are the identical parts that I have on my old X-Moto....but being in CA, my options for a road legal CB dually are very limited. No Bashan Storm, Hawk, TMEC or anything else is available. Just the SSR.

Then I thought, "For the introductory offer, I may need to get in on this before the price jumps. Just like I did with my Q Link back when I got it for 1750." Now they want over 3000.00 out the door for a new SSR. To me, the Q Link/Konker/SSR are still the highest quality/tech bikes built out of China, but like many, I can no longer justify the price.

So I approached the wife last night. "Your birthday's coming up....how do you like this new TT? Special pricing and you've been wanting a dually so we can ride together!"

"It's nice....but we haven't had time to ride any of our bikes lately. I've been eyeing this ring at the jewelers. I think I need some bling instead."

Snuffed..... but there's still time. I'll get the birthday behind us and wait a couple weeks. Toss the line back in the water and see if I get a bite. Spring's coming!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for posting the informative, detailed answer, Weld.

Are you talking about the right crankcase gasket?
You're welcome.

I'm talking about the cover for the centrifugal oil cleaner. It is retained with three screws (JIS or Phillips, can't recall which), and the gasket usually tears upon removing the cover.

Of course, a new side cover gasket is a good idea to have on hand, and a thin coating of grease on it is cheap insurance.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
"It's nice....but we haven't had time to ride any of our bikes lately. I've been eyeing this ring at the jewelers. I think I need some bling instead."
!

Bikes can be tarted up. Do you think that will persuade her?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
!

Bikes can be tarted up. Do you think that will persuade her?
Ring ordered! Now it's let the waters settle....and toss a line in a week or so. hee hee hee.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #279

gifts should be surprises right?

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #280

Cleared by Mrs 2LZ!!

Deposit sent. White. We've been assimilated.

Resistance was truly futile.

Now the wait begins.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #281

Yaaayy!!

Let the 2LZ mods begin!

Old 02-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Cleared by Mrs 2LZ!!

Deposit sent. White. We've been assimilated.

Resistance was truly futile.

Now the wait begins.
Welcome to The Cult of The Zong, 2LZ.

You have been assimilated.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #283

going to be an exciting spring with all these new tt250's

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #284

In rare atmosphere

I read today that Elon Musk is requiring a $1,000 deposit, (the same as CSC is for their TT250), when you order a new Model 3 auto from Tesla Motors.
We (TT250 orderers) are in an elite group of high rollers!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #285

So now that I'm snagged, hook, line and sinker, I've been doing all the required info dredging. It looks to me like they are using powder coated steel rims (very attractive, I might add) as opposed to the nice aluminum units that came on my Q Link. Anyone have any info on this?

That is the one of the things that sets the SSR/QLink/Konker bikes apart from the rest is their excessive use of quality aluminum parts.....but for the new price they want for the SSR bikes, I'll easily take the trade off for the 1895.00 intro price.

2009 Q Link XP 200