Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #16

i have never seen a trailer on a bike but it sounds like a bad idea except under the most ideal of conditions.

get your Vicodin script now

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Here's mine and it works like a champ.

Probably have about 1k miles behind my XT225, SYM scooter, and Pitster Pro 125.
How do you like towing with it (the ct70 clone), that picture is very intriguing.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheavy150
i have never seen a trailer on a bike but it sounds like a bad idea except under the most ideal of conditions.

get your Vicodin script now
Works just fine for me.

I've pulled it over the gravel road that runs parallel to the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville,NC to Tellico Plains,TN (about 40 miles) several times with no problem.

Like any trailer on any vehicle, a little common sense is required.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #19

[quote="Jim"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
How do you like towing with it (the ct70 clone), that picture is very intriguing.
The PPC 125 does just fine towing.
I did flip the trailer one time when I was "off roading"with it and got one wheel up on a bank. Just drug it along upside down until I realized something didn't sound right behind me. Stopped and flipped her back over and paid better attention. Just a few scratches on the trailer.

My buddy (Jim Tom Hedrick) who I sold the extra one I had to uses his all the time since his bike is his only means of transportation (DUI). He does a lot of dumpster diving and you should see some of the stuff he comes back loaded in his trailer.
http://www.moonshiner28.com/moonshiner28_history.html

Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #20

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
I just caught the tail-end of this topic. Very, very interesting, I hope you keep us posted on what you end up purchasing/building.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I just caught the tail-end of this topic. Very, very interesting, I hope you keep us posted on what you end up purchasing/building.
Indeed, this is a fascinating topic. Thank you for starting the great thread, Jak.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #22

I have one of the bike trailers for my kids. Looks just like barnone's. It is made by Burley. Weighs about 15lbs empty. It is well built and I got it used off ebay for a fraction of new cost.

They sell similar ones at target and walmart, but they are not as well built.

This is an older one like I have.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BURLEY-BICYCLE-T...item35b00309fb

Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #23

This looks like barnone's trailer. Notice how the frame goes around the wheels. This is a sturdy design and spreads the load out better on the axles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BICYCLE-BIKE-CAR...item3364c3f132

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #24

Got the bike home and starting to build the trailer...

I picked up my new Sierra last weekend. There was enough snow melted that I was able to take it around a few blocks, but a day after I got it home, it snowed 8 inches again. So now, I will probably have to wait another month before I can get on it again. It is really sweet though - less than 12 miles on it. A brand new bike for less than $1000. I can hardly wait to ride the trails near my home.

Because of the wait, I decided to start with my pull behind trailer project. I decided on a two wheel trailer, rather than a one wheel version because I thought it would handle better and be able to carry more weight easily.

I did consider the suggestions for a single wheel trailer, but decided against it for several reasons. First, I read a report on a different website from a guy with a single wheeled rigid trailer, but his story includes a tire blowout, and he was lucky to not have had a dangerous accident. As it was, it severely damaged the back-end of his cycle.

Here is another consideration. The single wheeled trailer, which has a fixed mounting to the cycle, would be a very long single rigid contraption. I picture it on some of the single track forest trails I know, and the side of the trailer would be constantly hitting brush or even trees on the inside of tight turns. To me, a longer, but two wheeled affair would track better through the tight turns.

Also, I thought if a single tire, rigid mount trailer did lose a tire, I would be afraid that the leverage from a wounded trailer just might upset a bike. Seems like a u-joint type of hitch would be more forgiving, even if the trailer turned over.

Having made my decision to go ahead with a modified 2 wheel design, I started collecting the necessary parts in my shop:

This is my blacksmith shop, which does extra duty as a small cycle repair shop in the winter. Also used for tinsmithing and some black powder gun work. But for now, it is a trailer building shop. Note the wheels in the upper center of the photo. I decided to build a variation of the bicycle trailer plan which is shown earlier in this thread. But I decided to spend extra and get really good (read as "expensive") wheels for the trailer. It is a BMX bicycle wheel - double rim, Kevlar tire, with extra heavy 14mm axle. One wheel cost more than the rest of the trailer will.

I started laying it out, as shown in the next photo. It will be made almost entirely of aluminum angle to make it strong, but should save weight. I modified the plan quite a bit, but liked the basic idea. Since it is a bolt together construction, if something turns out to not be right, or I see improvements that I would like to make, I can disassemble it and redo it to my liking.

Unlike the plans, I decided to make the trailer box the full width of the wheels. Why not? The extra space will be useful for something. I decided on a frame width of 32", the same as the width of the Sierra. If the bike will go through, then the trailer should too.

The plans show the wheels mounted above the frame, which I did not like. I intend to mount them to 8" steel angles placed beneath the frame to better support the weight. I am using steel angle to support the axles, since I don't trust the longevity of aluminum at a major wear and stress point.

Tomorrow I mount the wheels. I don't recommend that anyone copy this, because it is not done and tested yet. And I am kind of designing/modifying it as I go along. Not the best plan, I suppose, but I am not an engineer. But I will report on the progress, or lack thereof, for those interested.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #25

I am impressed already. With your bike (awesome price, BTW), your shop and your skills. I am glad you are taking the time to share your build with us. I'm sure everyone is just as interested as I am!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #26

Very good buy on your bike.

Thanks for taking the time to document your trailer build.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #27

hey guys its been some time..i use a single wheel bike trailer witch work good on my 1200 mi trip but i build a new on with a shock i had to have the trailer welded on my way home from mn to ohio it made it to in and then it broke.ill try and get some pic of my new trailer that i built..

Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #28

Thanks for the update. I'll be watching this thread with interest for sure.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #29

Making Progress - Wheels Are Mounted

I suppose I should mention that I am building this mostly of 1/4" x 1.5" x 1.5" aluminum angle. It was easy to find and is easy to work with. I don't have much fancy equipment - I am using a chop saw to cut my pieces and a bench grinder and wire wheel to finish the parts off. A cheap drill press and hand drill complete the major tools required.

In a day or two, I will be using some lighter aluminum angle for the deck cross braces. Heavier stock (1/4" x 2" x 2") will be used for the front part of the frame that the tongue will be connected to. I am not using much steel but where I wanted extra strength, such as for the axle mounts, I am using 1/8" x 1.5" x1.5" steel angle.

The last photo showed me starting to lay out the wheels for mounting. I flipped the frame over and added the first steel bracket, shown below. The steel piece is a stronger mounting point for the axle and also spreads the weight load on the bottom of the aluminum angle used for the frame.

I have been taking a lot of measurements as I build this to keep everything even and square. Here I am checking the front of the frame and find that it is still square so I will tighten all the bolts down better.

The next step will be to add aluminum angle on the inside of the wheel, with another steel angle bolted to that for the mounting point for the inside of the axle. It's easier to see than to explain. In the photo below you can see the inside brace with steel angle added and everything has been flipped back upright. One wheel done!

Next I finish the other side and mount that wheel the same way taking lots of measurements to make sure my wheels are parallel and the frame still square. Now it is actually starting to look like a trailer. The two photos below show the trailer at this stage from a couple of different angles.

Looking at it from the rear:

Finally, it is almost time for dinner and I have beef stew simmering. So I will quit after I have started to lay out some light weight cross braces, which will sit in front of and just behind the wheels.

I am only giving them a 1.5" clearance with the tire, which may be a mistake if I ever use this trailer and run into mud, which might compact there. The cross braces, because they are lighter, will be attached with pop rivets, which are easy to drill out and remove if I have to redo any of this. The braces will be used to support the floor, should give the frame more rigidity, and will also be used for some fenders. We'll see how that all turns out this weekend.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #30

It looks great! 8)

It's nice that you can just make sure the wheels are parallel, without having to worry about chain tension. These wheels are just along for the ride. Also, your full perimeter frame will protect your high dollar wheels.

I wouldn't worry about mud, because those tires don't like like much will stick to them. Are you planning on a wood deck? If so, that will add some rigidity. Keep up the good work!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer