Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #16

take it easy on the throttle during the break in..

one way is to follow this way of breaking in a motor

start and idle for 10 minutes
cool for 30
idle for 10 minutes
cool for 30
idle for 10 minutes
cool for 30

run it at diff amounts of throttle with in the 25% throttle range for 30 minutes
then run it at different amounts of throttle with in 50% of the throttle.. so idle to half throttle.
then run it and use throttle from the entire throttle range idle to wot..

thats a break in for a 2 stroke i read the other day but it will work for a 4 stroke break in.. also once you break it in, change the oil.. whenever a new motor breaks in, its metal wearing into metal which will show its self in metal flakes..

as for the smoking motor, ya it would smoke for a bit for just being new.. but since its a blueish color it sounds like oil in the combustion chamber. either it just needs to be brake in, or there is a issue some where.. so untill you know if its just smoke from a new motor or a bigg? see if the smoke stops or dies down some..

ive been letting my quad sit and idle for 2 hours twice a week just to keep a fresh charge on the battery and everything moving a few times a week..