Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #16

Stealthy...to tell you the truth, I don't think you would not "miss anything" especially since you have just made the statement here. If you miss out on the experience of assembly, you will have many questions on the reasons that something is not functioning correctly. Only you can answer the question of ones own ability, however this is one of the most straight forward mechanic work I have ever done because all the systems on a bike are easily accessible. Assembly is the ultimate course in proper understanding and operation of your motorcycle. If your butt is on the seat, I think that is enough incentive to do it right. And of course you are very careful during the break in period in case something gives way. Really in some ways it is risky to let these purveyors of cheap bikes to build these since the profits may not be that great and they may have more incentive to get them out the door without all the bolts tight,etc... Just my 2 cents.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #17

Razz is the Hawk 250 enough? hmm

I have two Hawks new this summer, both with over 1000 miles I've put on them. My bikes both had flat tires almost immediately. The Hawks needed rim-locks($3.50 per wheel) as well as ultra heavy duty tubes($25+per wheel) or I couldn't go a day without a flat. I have since gone over 800 miles a piece without an issue.

My red Hawk goes 63mph out of the box with my blue Hawk capable of 58mph. Both bikes are smooth at 55mph. Riding on the street at 6' tall 225lbs I find the seat very uncomfortable after about an hour, however I have gone off road for 5+ hours and found the bike to be very decent. I would not recommend sandpits, deep mud or extremely rocky terrain for these bikes, but I do ride on mid to upper level trails and have no problems whatsoever. The bikes have plenty of low end power to bring you where you want to go. Driver experience will play a big part in your off road capability.

I drive my bikes pretty hard and don't baby them, I do however keep a watchful eye as several parts have come loose on them. I also use quality oils changing at regular intervals.

I think for the price they are very good running machines and with proper maintenance and care can offer hours upon hours of fun to be had.

These bikes can take it if your butt can, although I would recommend at least to upgrade the foot shifter($30) as the stock is short and fragile. I also think as stated rim-locks and tubes are a must. I don't think anything else is needed for this cheap reliable ride, just my two cents...enjoy

Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #18

I can barely get my Hawk over 40, but I think a new carb/jets will fix that.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomulemi6 View Post
I can barely get my Hawk over 40, but I think a new carb/jets will fix that.
I had that problem until I realized I was running half choke. In my defense, my previous bikes only had choke on or off, no in between

Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #20

Yeah you guys must not read the owners manual.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
commuted in to work today on the TT250 with a 17/43 sprocket setup and was hitting 65 with traffic. I think 250 gets the job done. It also keeps me from being tempted to pass so many cars like I do on my 650.
30 miles each way speeds ranging from 35 to 65 no problems.
Can I ask you what sprocket you used and how difficult it was to install? I'm about to order one of the last 2016 white TT's left at the close out sale and mine will be primarily used to commute 44 miles round trip mostly posted 55. Thank you sir

Old 10-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staindglass View Post
I couldn't go a day without a flat.
Some of the bikes have an issue where the tube gets slightly out of alignment and spurs in the metal cause flats. Simple fix is to use duct/electrical tape on the inside of the rim to pad it so the tube isn't rubbing.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #23

As far as enough, people have ridden iron butt on less bike. Years ago there was a lady that rode her XT all over the country, Canada, Mexico..etc. She was loaded down, but it worked for her.

Only you can determine if it's enough for you.