Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Different animal but yes CG or CB generic can convert from AC to DC in 10 seconds no issue
I'm sure I could figure this out if I had one in front of me, but what's the trick?

Old 10-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Look at what stator wire colors you have.
3 yellow and 1 black/red?
Then blue/white as pick up + and green pick up -

I can’t recall if colors where the common like Honda or not
CDI arrived and I thought my Zong should fire right up, still no spark to the plug. My wires for the stator are as you explained so its definitely an AC. Seems I may need to purchase and install a new stator I suppose since I have lights, starter is cranking but wont fire up. I am a sponge for knowledge at this point to any who might chime in.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:58 AM   #18

You can check the resistances of the stator wires from the connector without removing anything from the motor. One last thing you can check before starting taking things apart is the sidestand switch. Mine is perma-closed, so it offers no protection, however your might be perma-open, allowing no spark.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillRider View Post
You can check the resistances of the stator wires from the connector without removing anything from the motor. One last thing you can check before starting taking things apart is the sidestand switch. Mine is perma-closed, so it offers no protection, however your might be perma-open, allowing no spark.
How would you recommend checking resistance, I'm guessing a multimeter set on the OHMS selection. If so what wires would you recommend attaching to to get resistance readings?

Old 10-27-2020, 04:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickus View Post
How would you recommend checking resistance, I'm guessing a multimeter set on the OHMS selection. If so what wires would you recommend attaching to to get resistance readings?
Yup, just set a normal multimeter to ohms, and measure resistances between pairs of yellow wires (on the male plug coming from the frame to the rectifier, after disconnecting it AND the CDI). The resistances should all be about the same, with no open circuits, as they are part of a 3-phase generator. For actual resistance values, there's a sticky in the Zongshen Sierra thread by Spud.

You can also perform some measurements from the CDI plug but I think only two leads (1 phase) are used, so what you (might) measure won't give you an accurate picture. And of course there's always the possibility of a bad pickup coil...

N.B. the rectifier and CDI should be disconnected anyway before measuring any of the coils, otherwise any readings will be off.

Tags
cdi zongshen