Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavey View Post
Here's the link to what I bought on Aliexpress.

I have read a few threads saying they bought this kit, or at least a kit that had a "kit 4" option. I think it was the stickied efi conversion thread on this section of the forum.

I have only just ordered all of what I expect I will need for the conversion, so I am waiting for everything to arrive (engine, supporting hardware, ECU, ebay exhaust, wideband o2 sensor, and other small things) so I cannot say anything about the autotuning the software has.

The microsquirt is supposed to arrive today, so hopefully I can play with that for a little while. The exhaust and amazon stuff should come next week. The Aliexpress order... only an educated guess at it arriving in 2-4 weeks. It seems like they do not track the shipment while it is in China or on the boat; they gave the seller a week to package and ship the item and then about 5-8 days for delivery. I'm still in the waiting-for-it-to-be-shipped stage.
I am sure I Speak for several people here when I say, please please please post a thread on your experiences with this. Many people here would love to find a good EFI option that actually works and doesn't cost as much as their bike lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #17

Glavey, the kit you linked to has a fuel pump with a 'return to fuel tank' outlet. I know you haven't received it yet but have you thought about how you are going to hook this up?
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #18

A few options come to mind... One is to have the return line connect, through a tee, to a point between the fuel tank outlet and the fuel pump, sending the unused fuel either back through the pump or back into the tank... though now that I think about it, it seems like that could easily cause some fuel heating problems.

Another idea is to use the vapor line that already exists on the top of the fuel tank. I don't know if it would be bad or dangerous to have fuel returned to the tank above the fuel level and just pouring through the air in the tank. I would of course drill a small hole in the gas cap for venting.

Yet another option that I have done before, kinda, is to drill a new hole in the tank and use a... uh... what do you call it... something like this but correctly sized and rated for fuel. I've used something very similar when I added an oil return line to the valve cover of a scooter; drill a hole, sandwich the valve cover (or fuel tank) between the nut and bolt, add your sealant of choice, and tighten.

I'll probably go for the drill a hole and make a return port option.

I am planning on, for the final version of the EFI conversion, running everything from the genuine microsquirt, but I may start with the less-than-genuine ECU that comes from china so other people will know if it is worth using.

Honestly, the only reason I am using microsquirt over the ECU and software that came from the china seller or the ecotrons efi kit is the tuning and datalogging software. If either the china seller or ecotrons had software that was as... polished, feature-rich, and powerful, I would have chosen them.

I don't really know when I will start the project in earnest; the rise and fall of the mercury in the thermometer is more of an indicator than anything. Maybe around March or April.

So much for a winter project, eh?

Old 02-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #19

Just as an update to this , in order to make the keyless gascap fit I had to buy a Gen2
Grom gas tank off Ebay ,block off half the holes I didn't need that were on it and then adapt the Vader fuel level sending unit to it and so on and so forth.
So, to make a very long story short it now works but turned into such a costly and aggravating pain in the backside project I do NOT recommend it .

I could have built an adapter ring and JB Weld "Steel Stick" ed it in place and maybe made it easier (and less expensive) but I didn't . I did get it ultimately all working and I like it but I could have done much more meaningful mods for the money,time, and aggravation it ended up costing to change gas caps from key style to keyless.,so until someone stumbles across a more direct swap option i suggest staying away from this .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 02-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Just as an update to this , in order to make the keyless gascap fit I had to buy a Gen2
Grom gas tank off Ebay ,block off half the holes I didn't need that were on it and then adapt the Vader fuel level sending unit to it and so on and so forth.
So, to make a very long story short it now works but turned into such a costly and aggravating pain in the backside project I do NOT recommend it .

I could have built an adapter ring and JB Weld "Steel Stick" ed it in place and maybe made it easier (and less expensive) but I didn't . I did get it ultimately all working and I like it but I could have done much more meaningful mods for the money,time, and aggravation it ended up costing to change gas caps from key style to keyless.,so until someone stumbles across a more direct swap option i suggest staying away from this .
Dang... yeah... that sounds like too much effort for me. Maybe someone somewhere will make one. :(