Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauve19 View Post
First of all, sweet Daiblo name. Secondly, thanks for the reply!

It's good to know, it was weird at first, but a few hours and I got used to it, I do wish it turned a little easier.. Seems to not want to turn all that well.. Also, it came about 99% assembled. Didn't have to put on the steering arm or anything, and after about 5 hours of riding, all the bolts still seem tight from the factory. I check all I could see.. All these suggested things don't seem to be an issue for the two I got.

If someone can however, help me navigate where the gear oil is, and how to change it I would be very appreciative of that!
Thanks, surprisingly no one on any forum has commented on it yet... maybe once Diablo IV is released...

Anywho... so the gear oil. Do you see the round-ish section of the engine case where the front sprocket attaches? That is the final drive. On a scooter (where this engine design came from), that's where the rear wheel would attach with a drum brake on the wheel side. My generic quad has a planetary reverse gearbox here. Should be a small bolt on the bottom of that, and a round plastic cap of sorts on top.

Fill plug is about 1/3 of the way up on the rearmost side. You'll want one of those oil pump cans with a hose, or a small tube to attach to your gear lube bottle. Fill it until it starts to run out is what I was told. It does not take a lot.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauve19 View Post
If someone can however, help me navigate where the gear oil is, and how to change it I would be very appreciative of that!
Here's a good video on oil change on the GY6. I think this guy should of paid more attention to chain lube. lol Wow that's rusted up.

2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 11-06-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #18

In terms of gear oil, the fellow in that video only paid attention to the planetary reverse gearbox, which is attached to the output shaft of the CVT. As DC pointed out, the engine came from the scooter world, so a wheel was originally mounted where the gearbox is now. Imagine that gearbox isn't there; there are final drive gears in the CVT housing, which also run in gear oil.

This video shows how to change the final drive gear oil. Note that I don't use Teflon on drain plugs, but to each their own.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
In terms of gear oil, the fellow in that video only paid attention to the planetary reverse gearbox, which is attached to the output shaft of the CVT. As DC pointed out, the engine came from the scooter world, so a wheel was originally mounted where the gearbox is now. Imagine that gearbox isn't there; there are final drive gears in the CVT housing, which also run in gear oil.

This video shows how to change the final drive gear oil. Note that I don't use Teflon on drain plugs, but to each their own.

Yep... and what's a pain for me, is that the frame and swingarm of my generic gy6 quad is in the way (of everything). So changing engine oil, no problem. Getting your fingers and sockets on the drain and fill plugs for my reverse gearbox and final drive, almost impossible.

The footrest frame has to come off just to remove the cvt side cover on mine. It's all solid, but half of the atv frame needs to be disassembled for a thorough servicing to take place.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #20

filling oil

if you use some fuel line that fits inside the fill hole... you can put it onto the bottle nipple and fill the bike easier.... you can also tilt it to the right side... so access is easier.. … I always..put the old oil in a bottle to measure the amount,,, or a measuring cup... or funnel... can be bought at harbour freight... and then I know how much I took out.. so I can put the same amount back in,..... if you took the fill plug out and seen it run out … letting you know it was filled to the right amount.... if it does not run out when you do that.... just tilt it a bit to cause it to run out..... if you just tllt it a bit and it runs out,... then you know … alittle bit more than what you took out … will fill it..... it is better to not over fill it the first time... like I said... this is what I do...

Old 01-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #21

Assauve 19 or anyone else who might know,

Does your raptor have red lights that blink their way down the top half of the outer edge of the instrument panel only when the atv is moving? That’s what mine does. Just got it and hope this is normal. Just anytime I see red lights on a instrument panel I tend to get a little concerned/over attentive.

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 01-17-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:45 AM   #22

Welcome to the ATV life. It's a great time. The gear box oil change can be found in your owner's manual, but if you don't have one, check page 49 of the linked PDF. As for the hard turning, that's mostly just how solid axles work. An open diff would be much easier to turn since that's exactly what they were designed for. Just be very careful on hard surfaces like pavement, it's easy to hurt yourself or the machine because the handling is compromised.

https://taomotor.com/products/atvs/2...owners-manual/

Old 03-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #23

After having the raptors for a little while now how do you like them? Has maintenance been much trouble?

I'm looking into getting my wife an ATV to ride with me while I'm on my Apollo DB and contemplating the raptor 200 or else paying 3 times as much and getting a Can Am 250.

Just trying to figure if its worth it to avoid some of the hassles that come with chinese ATVs.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning85 View Post
After having the raptors for a little while now how do you like them? Has maintenance been much trouble?

I'm looking into getting my wife an ATV to ride with me while I'm on my Apollo DB and contemplating the raptor 200 or else paying 3 times as much and getting a Can Am 250.

Just trying to figure if its worth it to avoid some of the hassles that come with chinese ATVs.
White lightning. No real mechanical issues so far. Answered in greater detail on you other post.