Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think you previously said HD trans for the diesel KLR; have you changed your mind?

Speaking of diesel, I'd lean that way over a SBC on propane. While propane is a little cleaner, you lose 20% off the top, and that negates the power you're after.

In the interest of something different, one of the Olds diesels from the 80's would be interesting. They have thick internal webbing, and they occupy the same space as a SBC. Induction is only limited by your budget and imagination.

Have you considered Rockwell axles?
A GM 6.5 turbo would fit too, but I think the better and probably in the long run cheaper engine would be the cummins.

There is alot of schoolbuses that have cummins diesels too. They also have allison automatics.

I think the CUCV axles sound like the best fit. More modern and heavy duty enough. Plus lots of parts available.

We need a new thread for this project.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #17

I'll start a separate thread on the 715, once I start working on it. The first thing is to get it running and stopping. I really don't like the red paint. It will be camo once the bodywork is completed.

Thanks Spud! The URAL has been a dream of mine for a longtime. It's uber cool and everyone stops me to ask about it. The rig will need some work before long, as the tub is starting to rust a little in the seams. The Sahara models were painted, not powder coated like the new ones. It will also need the wheels reworked before too long. This one has the Russian steel wheels.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #18

Back to URAL. I remember when the started importing them in the mid nineties.

I take it the early ones are going to be the ones closer to China bike quality and that the latest ones are pretty decent and have alot of modern features.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #19

URAL has been upgrading these bikes for a long time. Every year they seem to get better with more updated parts. The latest news is that they will get full disc brakes in 2015. I hope they retrofit back to my bike. I'd probably upgrade it. From 2010 or 2011 the complete outfit is powdercoated. That's a nice feature.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #20

Hey guys!

You may have been wondering what happened to me, maybe not! Back in April, I had a major accident with my Ural Sahara on a rural mountain road. Needless to say, I just about killed myself. I spent 4 days in ICU and a total of 11 days in the hospital Trauma Unit. It's been a long road to recovery and I still have about a year of rehab to deal with.

Not sure why it took so long to get back here and report this. I have pretty much given up on motorcycles of any kind. I can't put my family through anymore than I already have over the past 8 months. All of my previous projects have either been sold or soon will be. The Lotus may stay though. I just purchased a new 2013 Jeep MOAB and I'm building a trailer to use with it for camping. This a Spring I may buy a new ATV to use around the house and on my property. Street riding for me is over.

My left knee was destroyed in the accident. I also broke my right scapula into 4 pieces and had a 19cm abdominal laceration. My riding buddies were with me and basically saved my life. My shoulder impacted the guardrail as I was thrown from the bike and I then, cartwheeled over the side of a mountain. I fell 25 feet and impacted a ledge. The 20 foot ledge stopped me from falling 200 feet to my death. I impacted steel I-beams on the ledge that kept me from going over the edge. Thankfully, I was wearing all the gear and this minimized my injuries. I know it doesn't sound like it but it could have been much worse. I've seen people killed by less. Impacting the steel guardrail and I-beams could have easily killed me.

The Ural was sold soon after the crash. It wasn't hurt badly. I've been laying around for 8 months. They did 5 hour knee reconstruction surgery on Sept 19th. I've been walking with a cane for one week. Before that it was crutches and a wheelchair.

Anyway, I'm happy to be alive and God is a Good!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #21

Not good...

But, in that case, my advice is stay away from ATVs too. They are genuinely more dangerous than motorcycles. The deceptive feeling of being safer on 4 wheels is not the only reason for that.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #22

Wow. Having be through rehab after a serious accident, albeit, not as rough as yours, I'll just say, get well, but don't rush the recovery.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #23

Hi Sam!

I'm glad that you're on the road to recovery, and I can respect your decision to move away from bikes. Quads are terrific fun, and you can choose to crawl with them, rather than race.

Looking forward to Jeep pics, along with continued updates on your Lotus project, when you're able.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #24

Oh, no racing! I had a Polaris Sportsman 500HO for years. Sold it in 2006. I know all about ATVs. I just plan to use it around the house and to get me into the woods to hunt. Yesterday, I checked out the new Sportsman 570, as the Sportsman 500 has just been discontinued. I've got back into shooting and would like to hunt next year. I upgraded my weaponry after selling the Ural. Just trying to keep somewhat active.

Thanks Weldandgrind! The Jeep is pretty cool. It's loaded with AEV parts from the factory. No lockers but I don't need them for my use. Just plan some light Overlanding. I scrapped the Turbo Coupe a few months ago and have decided to go with a Yamaha R1 engine in the Lotus. A buddy has given me some space in his heated garage to work on it this Winter. He is building a '69 Camaro RS for his son. I need to get my garage cleaned out and get it moved down there.

The doctors have cleared me to go back to work next Monday. Eight months to the day after my accident. I can't wait! More later!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #25

Hi Sam. Was thinking about the diesel KLR the other day. I still wish to ride, but have decided to keep myself offroad and slow vehicles.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #26

Hi Sam.

I am sorry to hear about all you have been through but grateful that you are basically OK. God is merciful.

I understand and respect your decision to stop riding motorcycles. Since you have a family that decision makes sense.

I think ATV's should be fine for you, it's all in how you use them. The main dangers are tip-overs, which can be avoided with good judgement, and collisions with other ATV'ers, which can be avoided by choice of riding area. Other than that I consider them safe.

Still, somewhere in my heart, I don't think you've taken your last motorcycle ride yet.

Maybe you'd enjoy something like my antique Honda CB175.

Just sayin', we kinda know you'-)

Did the doctor's save your original knee? Not a replacement?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #27

If you don't mind my asking, was your accident somehow related to the handling characteristics of the sidecar?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #28

Hey katoranger! I still have the Diesel engine and the KLR parts. There is just no reason for me to finish it. The Ural crash really took the wind out of my sails. It's been a rough year. It's best for me to cool my jets. I was going in to many directions and not finishing anything.

My knee is still in constant pain. After having withdrawal from 30 days of Morphine, I resisted taking the other meds the way I should have. But I never got hooked on the Percocets or Hydrocodon. I get a little better everyday.

The Ural was great fun. It just bit me. I was only doing about 20 mph but I didn't have enough ballast in the chair. Thankfully, I survived it!

FastDoc,
Left hand turns are awesome on a sidecar rig. The sidecar takes the g-forces. Right handers no so much. There is nothing there. Without a passenger the sidecar needs ballast. I did not use enough ballast in my chair. When I hit a pothole with the sidecar tire, it flipped up. I had to turn left to get the wheel down. It was a decreasing radius turn. The rest is history. The editor of Road Runner magazine died the same way. Sadly, he hit a truck.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #29

The road surface had a lot to do with it also. It was an off camber, decreasing radius turn. The road was banked the wrong direction, if that makes any sense.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #30

No knee replacement. They saved it. They said that, if I had not been wearing the proper gear, I would have lost the leg. God is merciful! I remember saying, " Lord help me! This is going to hurt!" Just before impacting my leg on the guardrail.

All the ligament were torn away, except the PCL and the meniscus was torn through. They did not repair the PCL, said I'd never notice it at 50 years old. They also said that I was too young for a knee replacement.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E