Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
My valves change every 1,000-1,500 miles.

This last time (last week, 8,400 miles) both intake valves were at zero clearance...a .001" feeler gauge would not fit.

The port side exhaust valve was at spec (.003"), the starboard side exhaust valve was .008", more than double the spec.

jb
That's just bizarre. How would it open up? Or did it just not move from the previous adjustment? Talk about an unsettling feeling. You couldn't even feel secure doing a long weekend trip without frying the engine.Do you get any symptoms with the zero clearance? What leads you to check them?

As a comparo, I've checked mine 3x in 1800 miles, and barely had to adjust the starboard side of the exhaust. 3 were at .08mm and only 1 was down to a .06mm. I took my break in as per the manual, did a lot of compression braking until 500 miles, then rode it as normal. I'm still using 10-40 oil, but will switch to Rotella Synthetic 15w40 in a few weeks or so.

Also.... I hope the mags do a comparison test of the new flock of lite ADV bikes, I'd LOVE to see that!

Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
..........How would it open up? Or did it just not move from the previous adjustment? Talk about an unsettling feeling......Do you get any symptoms with the zero clearance? What leads you to check them?......
Previous check was only a minor adjustment.

Locking nuts were tight.

No symptoms of tight valves

I've been checking them regularly since the incident when the closed exhaust valves damaged the camshaft.

jb

Last edited by jbfla; 12-17-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 PM   #18

I know that must be frustrating. I am also liking that new Triumph you have!!! Boy, I bet it'd be fun in the mountains. I had the same 06 as you...tangerine and white. Did NOT like that bike. The ergo's didn't like me, despite my efforts to change them. Also..the parallel twin was like an ultrasonic device in my bladder. It was the strangest thing ever...I couldn't ride for 30 minutes without having to pee. Being I am an RN, it intrigued me, so I asked a urologist buddy of mine, and he mentioned that yes, I was bizarre, I ask too many questions, and yes, the vibrations induced by the engine, chassis and seat combo could actually have that effect, same as an ultrasonic tool cleaner. It works on minute vibrations.

I probably shouldn't have told that story.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:

I probably shouldn't have told that story.
Honesty is the best policy!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
....... I am also liking that new Triumph you have!!! Boy, I bet it'd be fun in the mountains. ........
Actually, the RX3 is more fun in the mountains.

The Triumph is a compact, yet heavy motorcycle. It's a good all 'round bike but doesn't excel in any one area.

It is probably better suited to a smaller rider. I'm 5'8, 30" inseam and it fits me perfectly. There are not many "standard" riding position motorcycles that I can put my feet down on both sides.

jb

Old 12-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #21

I've always had an eye on the Bonneville. I like the do-everything vibe.

The only thing that puts me off is I tend to use my bike as my primary transport, taking the family car only when I really have to.

This is quite hard in terms of miles and general condition, and I worry the Bonnie is a little too beautiful for that, I'd feel bad not being able to keep it shiny after a typical Pennsylvania week commuting.

It's one of the reasons I want a TT250 (well, mainly because it looks so much fun) but I want to offer a little relief to my Ninja as the consumables and maintenance time are starting to add up.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #22

Is the 400 cc model of the RX still coming to the USA? Anyone know?

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #23

I bet CSC is hoping it's coming soon. With the hype the new Versys 300 and BMW 310 are getting, it may impact RX3 sales. The RX4 would help those losses a bit. That said, I'd love to see some coverage of all the bikes in a comparison/showdown article. See how the RX3 compares to the new 250 Vstrom and Versys.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #24

Don't forget that the RX4 (or a custom made version of same in 450cc) is being raced in the 2017 Dakar. There are 5 different riders. This should be both a good advertisement for the brand and a brutal test bed for the drive train. Joe makes it sound like 2018 is the earliest we will see the RX4 in the US.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #25

Quote:
I bet CSC is hoping it's coming soon. With the hype the new Versys 300 and BMW 310 are getting, it may impact RX3 sales. The RX4 would help those losses a bit. That said, I'd love to see some coverage of all the bikes in a comparison/showdown article. See how the RX3 compares to the new 250 Vstrom and Versys.
We feel pretty good about the new crop of quarter-liter ADV bikes entering the market: http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=24031

Old 12-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #26

Nice write-up. It will be interesting to see how they price in at. The other thing is more competition will push Zongshen to make improvements in areas that they are needed, such as a broader powerband and maybe some suspension work.

Though, not being a spring chicken, I've always seen the ADV bike and especially the RX3 as more of what we used to call a 'scrambler". More street oriented but can handle gravel roads and light trailing. I've never seen the RX3 as an enduro or a more off-road oriented dirt bike. Maybe that's just me.........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #27

I agree, Joe did a nice job pulling together known information about the upcoming small-bore adv bikes over on the CSC blog. However, I also go back to my original point. With competition coming, I hope CSC is pressing Zongshen to fix some of the minor issues with the RX3. Why give the motomagazine reviewers nits that we know they will spend ink picking on in comparison reviews?

I think back to when I used to wrench for a living (cars not bikes.) I always had the impression that the Japanese were very responsive in fixing or resolving problems in their vehicles as soon as they became apparent. It seemed in contrast that the Germans tended to blame the driver (or the mechanic) for problems, since nothing could be wrong with the design. Where do the Chinese fit on this scheme? Another old observation. When I first lived in China, folks still needed ration cards to buy basic commodities like bicycles, sewing machines, and clothing. Consequently the attitude towards product quality tended to be, "of course you need to disassemble everything and put it back together, you should just be happy you have the thing at all." Clearly the Chinese have come along way since then. But how far? How long does it take to fix a speedometer error? Sometimes I wonder.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post

....the Germans tended to blame the driver (or the mechanic) for problems, since nothing could be wrong with the design.....
You had a BMW, too....

jb

Old 12-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #29

I think most of the RX3 they got right...I mean my 2015 orange paint faded
And yeah...the speedo is off,dash lights too dim,but the engine and chassis,so much of it they got right
I can't really complain,right now my bike with the accessory line and customer support...Rocks !!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
I think most of the RX3 they got right...I mean my 2015 orange paint faded
And yeah...the speedo is off,dash lights too dim,but the engine and chassis,so much of it they got right
I can't really complain,right now my bike with the accessory line and customer support...Rocks !!
...let's not forget the stock crash bars, luggage included and especially, the price point can't be beat, especially if the four coming out start around 5-6. Like we used to say in my old business, "You can have the best product, the best price or the best service. Which two out of three would you like?"

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350