Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #16

so besides the training course is there any other tips or safety info you guy can suggest ?

also am i limited to twist throttle ? or can is there such as thing as lever throttles for bikes ? never used a twist throttle cept for the pocket bike and i didnt like how when i would go to use the front brakes with the twist throttle how it felt..

Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #17

You could change it yourself but none of them come with it... I don't know if it would be legal or not... You should learn to like the twist throttle though...

I know you want the ninja 250 and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, it's probably a great bike... I think a lot of motorcycle schools do use the gs 500 though, it is meant as a beginner bike I think. I started out on an 800.

No matter what bike you decide on though, I would recommend you take your motorcycle course before buying a bike.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #18

oh i will take the course well before buying the bike.. gotta drive the bike home from the dealership..

i just feel like a 500cc is going to be to much bike to soon for me..

what comes first the safety/training course or the motorcycle dl ?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #19

dl = driver license?

I'm not sure how exactly it works in your state, but here in BC, you need to go to driver services and do a knowledge test on the computer to get a learners license. Once you have that you can go to the course, and they will take care of your skills test. You still only have a learners but I believe it removes some restrictions. Then you do your course, and they book you in for a road test... After that it depends on your license, and if you've been through a graduated program or not.. They like to change the rules quite often though so I'm not sure on the exact details... I think basically you need to go in and get a learners license first, but just give the school a call and they will explain exactly what you need in your state.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #20

Don't fear the bike... There really is nothing to fear. The MSF course would be the number one thing to do. After that I would pick up a nice used bike (I would never recommend learning on a brand new bike) and practice turns and shifting and braking until you do them without really thinking about them. As you get more familiar and comfortable with the bike you will gain more confidence and your riding will improve as well. I take this stuff for granted as I have been riding since I was 7 or 8 but I can imagine it would be daunting to someone new to it. Another guys signature on another forum says it all "When you start riding you are given a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience, the trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck!"

As far as buying a bike, I would sit on a bunch of different ones and see what feels comfortable to you. I like the looks of the sportbikes but I don't like the riding position at all. I much prefer the upright stance of a dual sport or a standard type of bike like the Kawasaki Versys. Comfort is more important than looks in my books I wish you the best of luck, biking is a very enjoyable hobby and a great way to meet awesome people.

Cheers!
Stew

Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #21

I believe here in Texas you Must complete the course prior to getting a license. Absolutely do the course first. All the bad habits are nipped in the bud before you start them. As a plus, many schools do have different types of bikes in their stable that you can learn on. You might decide you like one over the other. You might also determine that a bike is not for you and dont have to try and sell a bike you never really used.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #22

all of you guys make good points, guess the smarter thing to do is to get a used bike..

i feel like it helps that i am adjusted to quads due to the setup and working the clutch, so think that should give me a points in the learning department.. learn the turns and stuff is why i am planning on sticking to sub streets.. where i live i can almost get anywhere in a 30 mile radius with out having to set one tire on a highway or freeway or expressway..

ive got a few thousand in savings.. might look into getting a used ninja 250 thats a few years old like 05 or 06 model.. then while im doing the training courses and working on getting the drivers license i can do some maintence on it.. like brakes, fluids, and going over the bike with a fine tooth comb so i know there is no loose bolts or none thing is going to fall off when i do get everything in order to ride.. i deff wont be riding untill completing the courses and getting the dl taken care of..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #23

FWIW, the first bike I bought was a Suzuki GS1100E. The Hayabusa of it's day. The fastest bike in the world at the time. 8O

It did not go any faster than I pulled the throttle. Fast bikes are not inheritly faster, they just do what you tell them. Like a gun. It's all about the operator.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
FWIW, the first bike I bought was a Suzuki GS1100E. The Hayabusa of it's day. The fastest bike in the world at the time. 8O

It did not go any faster than I pulled the throttle. Fast bikes are not inheritly faster, they just do what you tell them. Like a gun. It's all about the operator.
my point exactly, i know myself well enough to know that im going to get "frisky" with the throttle sooner or later, i mean we all do at some point. thats why i want a 250.. i will be happy with the 250 for awhile and when i want more and more importantly when i feel like i am ready for more i will upgrade to a 600 or bigger.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #25

I see alot of good deals on 250 ninjas out there. $2K will get you a nice one. Just look around on craigslist when you are ready to buy.

Ride it until you are comfortable enough to move up. You may decide that the 250 is all you need.

Allen

Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #26

ya i already found some really nice 250r's on cl for the 2k to 3.5k range.. just want to find one that is not modded.. start fresh and pick the parts i want on it..

Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #27

They are nice bikes, my dentist got her license with the MSF course here, then picked one up. She rode it for a summer or two then upgraded to a 650 Ninja this spring... She rides a Ninja, has a BMW sports car and is cute... How cool is that?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #28

then ask her out, only down side is if she wants to drive you gotta rode on back of the bike..

ive heard alot of friends say that once i get used to a bike i will want more power, and while that is true. i was raised to be happy with i have, so if i have 250 then i have a 250 and will be happy with it..

Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
then ask her out, only down side is if she wants to drive you gotta rode on back of the bike..

ive heard alot of friends say that once i get used to a bike i will want more power, and while that is true. i was raised to be happy with i have, so if i have 250 then i have a 250 and will be happy with it..
Good point! My dentist was saying that she loved her 250 and the main reason she upgraded was because she went riding with some friends in the mountains and couldn't keep up with them. I haven't seen her new bike yet, but her 250 was the brilliant red one, it really stood out!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #30

if i was to get a new 250 it would be the one in the picture at the bottem of page 1 of this thread that i posted..