Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #16

Well it'll take almost a full body set to fix it - pulled the holes out on the rear fenders. The headlight mount is in tact as are the body parts that connect front fender to rear, but new rear fenders and front fenders are needed. Also bent the right front hub so the wheel wobbles and binds so it'll get a new one of those. Front fenders are on the way for $35.00 which is great news. I can imagine a Japanese set costing more like $150.

It'll be back to running condition soon though. We're both a bit bummed right now for sure.

I'll let you all know how the repairs go.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #17

You look at this as an excuse for mods and custom work. Allen

Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You say that the chain is a 530; do you mean 520? If so, I'd be grateful for photos of the rear sprocket, along with some dimensions. Don't worry about it yet, I'll show you a photo of my existing setup first, and show you what I'm looking for. Your new quad might be the ticket I've been looking for in upgrading my quad to 520 chain.
I checked again and the inside dimension from side to side (roller width area) is 9.5mm making it a 530. I believe Kazuma uses 530 on many of their ATVs so it's not too uncommon. I'll get some sprocket photos and dimensions to you later tonight hopefully.

On a bright note, my son got ambitious this morning and disassembled the hub from the spindle. The way he describes it sounds like the wheel nut was nut not tight and allowed the hub to shift out of place enough to allow it to wobble. The impact had just given it enough shove to move it out of place. He says that assembled properly, it spins smoothly and without any wobble. I've asked him not to fully assemble or ride it until I get home to check things out and tighten the wheel nut properly.

Sound like we might get away with just some scars on the plastic

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #19

I'm glad to hear that your son is ok. Good news on the replacement plastic prices!

On plastic welding: I've only done a small amount of it, and I think the key is clean plastic (which means removing the black paint), a soldering iron (ideally with heat control, but not mandatory) and identical filler material. As an example, if you could trim a small strip off of one of the fender edges, you could use that as filler material above the gas tank. It would be best to "tack" the piece together in several spots before trying to create a continuous seam. It's stinky work.

Where the plastic bosses are broken, you could drill through and use fasteners. We did that in some spots, and a button head allen style fastener looks pretty cool; almost like aircraft rivets.

Thanks for your offer to photograph the rear sprocket. I've never heard of a 530 chain on a CB.

Good news on the hub. That sounds like an opportunity to check both hubs for proper rotation and tightness.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #20

Well the hub is fine, but the spindle and wheel are bent. The wheel I can fix, the spindle will need to be replaced. Not a big deal, however the problem I am having now is with VBike.

Turns out I'll need a rear fender assembly as well as the spindle. I sent VBike an e-mail Monday and didn't get a response. I sent a follow-up yesterday and got a reply in the evening asking me to call tomorrow (today). I called and of course they don't have the fender in stock. I don't know why he couldn't have just told me that in an e-mail, or ordered one to arrive.

I'm getting sorely disappointed with their service. I had ordered a black V4WS and made sure that it was a V4WS I was getting. The day before I'm supposed to pick it up, I decide to call and see how it is going and he tells me they don't have black. That's how I ended up with a 250T in Orange. Not that I'm too upset about the color - just should have gotten a call or mail back telling me the black was not available.

Before I bought, I asked and was told that he stocked ALL parts in a warehouse for the things he sells. I know I can't expect that he has every color part, but is it too much to expect a phone call?

Sorry, had to vent. Again, I'm not so upset about them not having the part, I'm upset about the lack of customer service.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
owning a CB takes patience and lots of it i at one point in time owned an american lifan lf 250b i waited 6 months just for a fraggin muffler

Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #22

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't get too upset. Had it not been wrecked I would not be needing parts.

On a better note, I drove up to VBike and Tim just handed me the spindle. That was certainly appreciated. Front fender should arrive friday. Tim said that he couldn't find the rear fender at his suppliers. I hope it's not a sign that they are no longer supporting this model.

Got the spindle back on and everything together. Other than a slight wobble on the right front, it seems to be doing well. We did manage to strip one of the wheel studs with a 3/8 ratchet and not even really trying. So I'll need a new hub now. It just never ends does it? :oops:

I noticed that it seemed to always be toe'd out. I did bring the wheels into better alignment, Seems to help only slightly with the squirly nature of the beast.

I know I owe photos and measurements of the back sprocket. I'll try and get them taken and posted tomorrow.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #23

No rush. Thanks for the update.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #24

I was going to warn you that these 250Ts are rather tipsy compared to some other bikes...but sounds like your son already found out the hard way!

Overall, the 250T isn't a bad bike for the price- better than most other Chinese bikes....it's just that I was disappointed because it wasn't as good as the V4SW, while it cost $100 more. (And mine didn't come with the bigger tires, etc. It's touted as an "ipdated V4SW" but in fact, it's more like a downgraded V4SW)

Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #25

It's interesting that they now show a 'v4l' and describe it as 'same as the v4sw'

They didn't have any on the floor when I have been there. I'd be nterested to see f it is the old v4sw just rebadged.

We lowered the tire pressure to 5psi and fount it was still toed out a lot. It's not as squirrely. Have you tried wheel spacers?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #26

I would be curious to see what difference spacers make on the 250T. What I don't understand, is that the 250T and the V4SW are pretty much identical in dimensions and suspension...and yet the V4SW cwas very stable. (I did adjust the front shocks on the 250T to be softer...tht has helped a little)

Just looked at the V4l- It looks like a nice bike...but I see little resemblence to the V4SW, except for the Lifan motor. I guess the V4SW has a really good reputation (especially from us guys on this forum), and Tim wants to capitolize on that by trying to say that all his other bikes are "just updated V4SW's".

He had told someone else on this forum that he'd be getting more V4SWs in, in June. But here it is August, and no V4SWs...and I wouldn't hold my breathe...because unless Tim has access to a stash of NOS ones...they're simply not attainable anymore. (Oh, I could kick myself for selling the V4SW!!! -I can't seem to give the 250T or 300 Monster away! I'd like to sell one of them. Hehe...probably my own fault for publicizing their negative aspects! ...but that's O-K, I wouldn't want to gyp anyone...)

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #27

Here is a photo of the 250T rear sprocket. I measured approximately 65-66mm from mounting hole, across the center to the mounting hole opposite. I have no idea of the center hole diameter. It was difficult to get my calipers in there.

If you need more detailed measurements or photos, just ask.

PS - yes, we wipe the chain down with chain lube. It just looks like it's never been oiled in this photo.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #28

Thanks for the photo. My sprocket has 40 teeth, a 56mm bolt circle (2.2"), 8mm bolt holes (0.3013") and a 37.5mm hub circle (1.475"). It looks like the mounting holes on your sprocket are too far apart to fit my quad. The next option would be for me to explore swapping the splined sprocket mount, unless I get lucky and find a 520 JT sprocket to fit.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #29

The saga continues.....

I can't blame the ATV for this problem. When we fixed the fenders by stitching the cracks back together, the mounting bosses for the headlight assembly were broken so we left the assembly off. However the headlight assembly also included a front mount which we also left off. So the only mounts in front of the handle bars (where all the weight is) was two uprights. Today, they broke at the mounting holes.

It's a simple fix with some aluminum flat, formed correctly and a couple rubber grommets, The existing brackets are made of thin 'C' channel bent to a 'Z' shape with a hole in each end of the 'Z'. They used a rubber washer on the plastic fender end, but hard mounted it to the frame. They also removed the two opposing sides of the 'C' at each end and that is precisely where they broke. I'll soft mount with thich rubber grommets and add a front mount.

The replacement front fender arrived today, but it will stay in the shop until my son learns to stop crashing

I'll post photos of the replacement mounts after we fabricate them tomorrow afternoon. At least we are getting to get out in the shop together.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyersteve
At least we are getting to get out in the shop together.
Quality time is where you find it. Have fun.