Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #16

I am thinking you could just pull the air filter and take it with you to a hose shop. Get some flexible hose several feet long the same diameter as the filter. Hook one end of the hose to the carb just like the filter did and then use a pipe nipple at the other end and clamp on the filter. Might have to be creative to route the hose to get the filter in a good place.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #17

You could, except that the stock filter is poo. I replaced the stocker with a Uni before ever firing the quad for the first time.

If you focus on building your snorkel first, you could easily find a Uni pod that will fit whatever size pipe you end up with. Uni pods are available in a tremendous range.

Just ask TurboT about his thoughts on the stock filters.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #18

Is there a happy face taking a dump smiley???

Old 08-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #19

Close enough?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #20

Well I got a snorkel tube installed, and it does work, but only if I run with half choke.
It ill idle just fine, but I cant get any high rpms out of it unless the choke is partly on.
I did find the biggest problem was the original 90 elbow as it was smaller and constricting it. Secondly the problem is space...

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #21

That articulated hose is brutal for airflow. Do you have the original airbox that could donate the carb connection? Maybe you could make that work with rigid pipe, and move the slider needle clip as necessary so it can breathe. Do you have a photo of the air filter in your setup?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #22

No air filter on it yet, need to get an Uni for the end of the hose.
The original air hose (no Box) is actually smaller and when I try to use that for the bend it cant breath at all, does not even Idle correctly, yet if I have the original air hose 90deg with no pipe attached it works fine.

I think at this point the only thing I can do is use it as is, or try and move the battery box some how.
I tried to find solid piping, but cant find anything thats 1 3/4" diam. If i could find a solid 1 3/4 diam 90 angle then I could put solid piping all the way and it would be better, but after going to Home depot, Rona, hottub hosing supply, princess auto and auto value, I still cannot find a solid PVC 1 3/4" 90 deg peice to go on the carb.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #23

PVC is measured differently than ABS. Did you try ABS for size?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #24

I did try ABS, but did not have any luck finding it.

Good new I did figure it out and have it working.
This picture shows the issue of space for the snorkel due to the battery box:
[img][/img]

Now I have removed the battery box and placed it in the front making ample room for the snorkel, removing the bend that was causing the issue:
[img]

[/img]

Battery box new location:

Once I removed the bend it breaths no problem, I also installed a new spark plug and a fuel cut off valve.
Have the performace exhaust on its way along with performance front shocks to install, and will be out testing it sept long weekend... Wish me luck!

Cameron
[/img]

Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #25

That looks really cool. 8)

What a great idea; there's all that space behind the steering shaft, why not put the battery there. Good thinking.

Kind of hard to see from your photo; what are you using for an air filter?

BTW, ABS drain pipe is easily available at any Rona, Home Depot, Home Hardware...

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #26

Sorry I found ABS, just not the correct size, the only other thing I found that would still be better then the hose I got is an ODX hose thats 1 3/4 inches, but now that its working I dont think its worth the effort.

Sorry about the crappy pictures, took them with my cell.

I dont have a filter on yet, waiting for my Uni filter to get in, ordered it last week, going to put it on the end of the snorkel.

That spot seemed like the best place for the battery, only issue I see is cooling as it does cover an area that was open to air, but the fan is right above it and not covered in any way.

Cameron

Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #27

I wonder if you could mate that hose to some rigid pipe (PVC, ABS whatever), so that you could firmly attach it to the rear rack. You could even use a metal elbow; copper, aluminum or stainless would be great. A copper elbow would be thin but strong, and you could solder a mounting tab to it.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #28

Hey you're doing a great job with the mod..

I do have one question.....due to the placement of the battery, and it's exposure, if you sink your quad into mud and water is it going to short the battery and kill the motor, making your snorkel pointless??

Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #29

Good point. I wouldn't worry about getting the battery muddy and wet, but it's a good idea to seal the battery vent hose to the battery using a little black RTV. Route the hose up towards the handlebars and then point it back down. Don't forget to route the carb and engine breather hoses in a similar fashion.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #30

Very true, I still need to route the carb and motor drain up, and will do the battery drain as well.

My buddy said the batter even submerged should work just fine.. is that true?

I was thinking of getting a tupperware container for it so it is sealed...

What you guys think?