Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #16

The storm is close to the BSR. Same Carb look here for more info:

http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...4&postcount=25

My fuel mixture screw has a "D" shape at the end and requires a special tool. I bought Motion Pro D Shape tool on Amazon but it was the wrong size. Have new screws on the way:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32717340639.html

Keihin PZ30 Main-115 Pilot-38 Needle-1Washer Fuel Mixture-1/2

BSR Chronicles - "Project leads to more projects!"

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Last edited by AresROC; 09-12-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
The spark plug doesn't use the screw on cap like you are use to. The spark plug cap on the plug wire has a little wire clip inside of it to make contact.
O.K. Thanks. The little wire clip just looks a lot wider than the threaded part of the plug’s top. Maybe mine needs a “sqeezin”.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #18

700 is a steal for a healthy Storm. Mine was 2200 with shipping. I have to clean my carb a lot, once a month at least to keep the idle working plush. Before I upgraded to the ebay exhaust it would die a lot at stop lights, wouldn't kick start for anything or turn over at all in the cold etc.

With constant vigilance I got right about 5,000 miles out of the stock chain and tires. I reused the stock tubes in the new tires and have ran the new rear nearly bald, I'll probably reuse the stock tubes a 3rd time. They didn't skimp on tube quality!
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #19

Good to hear ChipToothy that the Bashan came with decent innertubes........NOT the fact on the Hawk.........I almost died as I had valve separation failure on mine in March 1st ride of the season at 55Mph........took a few days to get the seat out of my puckered arse.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #20

I heard the Chinese tubes were crap, good to know that they will last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0847.jpg (95.6 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by sandog; 10-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #21

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
I was also going to mention to you....I think 700.00 was a good price for that bike!!!!
I had the same issue with my Bashan Hawk regarding the choke - no manual so this was a massive face palm. Only paid $500 for mine though. 179kms on it and all it needs now is the battery and a new brake lever

Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #22

Yesterday I adjusted the valves, there was no clearance at all when at TDC.
I took off the intake and sprayed some carb cleaner in, and at the suggestion of a friend that used to be a bike mechanic, put a few ounces of Seafoam in the tank. He said the Seafoam would help loosen varnish in the fuel system but it would take a while.

The valve adjustment was easy, but I'm not so sure I'm up to taking the carb apart for a good cleaning.
I cleaned and waxed the chain and tightened it, and flushed the factory brake fluid out and put in some Castrol synthetic Dot 4.
And got the Storm cargo rack installed I had ordered from 4 Seasons Motorsports in Phoenix.

After the work, I fired up the bike and increased the idle and the bike kept running with the choke off, but wasn't running very smooth and wouldn't rev up above idle.
With the choke in the mid position it ran much better. I went for a short drive and it ran fine at the half choke position.

Later in the evening I went on a longer ride down the highway, and things were fine until I turned around to come back home.
Bike died when I slowed to turn, and would not start again.
I let it sit for a few minutes, and then it started and I got back home.
Pretty frustrating, as I don't trust the bike to go very far from home.
Makes me wish I hadn't sold the KLR and Yamaha XT 250.

I guess the next thing I'll try is to remove the carb and take it apart for a good cleaning.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Yesterday I adjusted the valves, there was no clearance at all when at TDC.
I took off the intake and sprayed some carb cleaner in, and at the suggestion of a friend that used to be a bike mechanic, put a few ounces of Seafoam in the tank. He said the Seafoam would help loosen varnish in the fuel system but it would take a while.

The valve adjustment was easy, but I'm not so sure I'm up to taking the carb apart for a good cleaning.
I cleaned and waxed the chain and tightened it, and flushed the factory brake fluid out and put in some Castrol synthetic Dot 4.
And got the Storm cargo rack installed I had ordered from 4 Seasons Motorsports in Phoenix.

After the work, I fired up the bike and increased the idle and the bike kept running with the choke off, but wasn't running very smooth and wouldn't rev up above idle.
With the choke in the mid position it ran much better. I went for a short drive and it ran fine at the half choke position.

Later in the evening I went on a longer ride down the highway, and things were fine until I turned around to come back home.
Bike died when I slowed to turn, and would not start again.
I let it sit for a few minutes, and then it started and I got back home.
Pretty frustrating, as I don't trust the bike to go very far from home.
Makes me wish I hadn't sold the KLR and Yamaha XT 250.

I guess the next thing I'll try is to remove the carb and take it apart for a good cleaning.
Check Motocheez video he’s got a couple for Hawk and TBR7 same basic thing etc

Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AresROC View Post
The storm is close to the BSR. Same Carb look here for more info:

http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...4&postcount=25

My fuel mixture screw has a "D" shape at the end and requires a special tool. I bought Motion Pro D Shape tool on Amazon but it was the wrong size. Have new screws on the way:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32717340639.html
Here’s my set - good for the first set up etc and covers several common issues and tune etc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawk-250-Sh...s/303210680840

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 09-17-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #25

If you have to run it at half choke either your carb is in desperate need of a cleaning or it's jetted too lean. And in your case I'd say it's a combination of both but start with the cleaning first.

As far as the Sea Foam I have a buddy that manages the local AutoZone and he swears by it. I think he even puts it in his coffee and brushes his teeth with it. I on the other hand am a little skeptical of it's wondrous claims. Kinda like Marvel Mystery Oil, some folks believe it's a cure all but I won't be adding it to my tank or crankcase anytime soon.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
If you have to run it at half choke either your carb is in desperate need of a cleaning or it's jetted too lean. And in your case I'd say it's a combination of both but start with the cleaning first.

As far as the Sea Foam I have a buddy that manages the local AutoZone and he swears by it. I think he even puts it in his coffee and brushes his teeth with it. I on the other hand am a little skeptical of it's wondrous claims. Kinda like Marvel Mystery Oil, some folks believe it's a cure all but I won't be adding it to my tank or crankcase anytime soon.
I agree with the one legged....ethanol fuel leaves a nasty residue. Mystery oil? that's why it is a mystery. I am also skeptical of wonderous claims.

When you get the carb apart, make note of jet sizes, and such.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #27

welcome here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdntraveler View Post
I had the same issue with my Bashan Hawk regarding the choke - no manual so this was a massive face palm. Only paid $500 for mine though. 179kms on it and all it needs now is the battery and a new brake lever
Welcome aboard here, and congrats! Post a pix or two!!.. Good price....

I had to go to a conversion chart....wow 111 miles???

chiptoothy on this site has a storm, and has many miles on it, and was helpful to us in our china syndrome quest. Cravin01 also has the storm, and has some video on mods.....just to name a few..
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Also replace the fuel line if it hasn't been replaced already.
Jeffery....welcome aboard!!!!

Yes....fuel line....replace...

megadan posted a small fuel filter that he researched....I got one, but I cant find the link

Old 09-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #29

It's not just the ethanol, if you let any fuel sit in a tank or carb for more than a few months without adding stabilizer to it, it's gonna start smelling like turpentine and clogging up your jets.

When I worked in the shops every spring there would be a slew of customers bringing their bikes in for work and each and every one of them would say "but it was running great when I parked it". So I'd have to charge them $65hr and $10 for a can of carb cleaner and tell them to bring it back in at the end of the season for 'Fall Maintenance' which consisted of charging them an additional $100 for changing the plugs, checking the air filter, and adding a bottle of stabilizer to a full tank of fuel.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #30

I went and registered it a few days ago, registration was only $10.50.

The Off Highway Vehicle sticker you have to add to be legal was $25 extra though.

Last edited by sandog; 10-14-2019 at 09:27 PM.