Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #16

Gardo,
Not much to screw up, Remove the smog pump and save it for later install if needed. Use the gasket for a pattern to made a bocking pate out of 1/8" aluminum plate and get a plastic cap for the port on the intake manifod to avoid a vacuum leak.

This mod does nothing for performance but cleans up the engine area and reduces engine heat. Warning this is an illegal modification so save the parts for reinstall in the future if necessary. I always have misgivings about these type of mods since I do enjoy clean air.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #17

The emmision controls (except cats) are placebos anyways. They do nothing to clean the air. They are there to make the greenies feel better, and to annoy motorheads. Greenines don't like motorheads.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #18

I am a greenie and a motorhead. Does that mean I don't like myself?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Not at all.

I'm talking about the more extreme Prius driving tree hugging owl saving variety.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone

Quote of the day!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #21

I once heard a comment from a lumber industry person who was responding to an environmentalist. He said, "If you are against logging, perhaps you'd like to wipe your butt with a spotted owl."

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I once heard a comment from a lumber industry person who was responding to an environmentalist. He said, "If you are against logging, perhaps you'd like to wipe your butt with a spotted owl."
LOL!

That's funny right there!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #23

I took one of the smog devices apart, and I accept the theory behind them. They're designed to draw a bit of fresh air into the exhaust stream to further burn any unburned hydrocarbons, but I'm not sure just how well they work in practice. There is a reed valve that opens as the exhaust stream passes, causing a venturi effect. I believe that the valve is meant to open and close for each exhaust stroke.

I know that several of our fine members are well aware of the theory, but there may be others who'd benefit from this info.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #24

You are correct Weld.

The main thing they do is to dilute the HC and CO in the exhaust with fresh air so the percentages look better. The exhaust volume goes up, of course so a lower percentage of a larger amount is essentially the same number.

This is similar to the 'low tar' cigarettes back in the 80's. :?

They used a special 'filter' with holes in it to draw in fresh air with each puff, reducing the percentages of poisons in the smoke. This 'fooled' the testing machines but has no effect on health.

Neither does the smog tumor.

JMHO, although I do know a thing or two about science. :wink:

Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #25

Not to add to the debate, and I'm like barnone on this in that I might not like myself but catalytic converters were once considered a huge bane to the auto industry. However, I remember reading something from one of the mainstream magazines such as Car and Driver or Road and Track who praised the converter as one of the more recent greatest auto related inventions (at the time-this was in the late 80's or 90's). I read their reasoning and had to agree--cars were getting more and more powerful, faster, better handling (although that contributes to cars overall, not engines per se) and they were doing this while helping clean up the air compared to the old-school cars. Fast forward to the new Bugatti with 1000+ hp that is legal even in Kalivornia and that is impressive.

I do think that with time and technology, bikes will catch up. China has banned bikes domestically across the board due to their pollution (most of our chinabikes here are export-only not found in China, as well as the way cool new bike show models shown at China's bike shows), and Europe has decided to clean the air of its 2-stroke terrors as of late (no, not just 2-strokes but bikes across the board) with their Euro-3 or whatever they call it.

I am not suggesting anything political or green vs. not, but this thread and the responses kind of made me think (me, think?)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #26

the Widow is home

So the bike was delivered today, the guys from PIT tossed me the keys and said take it out when they showed up. They hung out and my wife had them stay for dinner.

All in all a good evening, put about 5 miles on her to show her around.

Now I was shocked I took the bike to a nice 55 and she held it strong without breaking a sweat or reving to high had a lot more power to give.

Will need to take her out over the weekend and put some miles on her

Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #27

Those are such cool machines!

Congratulations.

Your wife is a very nice lady.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #28

Thanks for these latest pics; they really show off the details. I really like the twin shock seat suspension. I'm also admiring the mirrors, pleated seat, rear fender struts, front bikini fender, forward controls and chrome valve cover. Even the spoke pattern is striking.

I admit it; I covet your bike.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #29

the heist

gardo ,i love your bike ,I have a softtail but i would like to get one of these for running around.Only thing i would change is putting the taillight somewhere else.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #30

I wouldn't move the tail light. It needs to be as conspicuous as possible. Those guys who mount it down low off to one side are increasing their chances of getting rear ended.

Motorcycle riders need all the help they can get.