Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #16

the sooner we buy the old ones up the new one have to follow, i hope, and yes there are a few sierras left
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #17

The Sierra 200 is a heck of a bike for the money. I should buy one just for that reason, but you are to far away Phil!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #18

i dont know where you are but if you want one pm or call

Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #19

In am is western Wisconsin! So that just would not work. Is it true that these bikes have many interchangeable parts with the TW200 Yamaha?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #20

yes, as spud has said most of the parts are close, but (sorry for this spud) i dont see that as a good selling point, i havent herd anyone wanting parts that arent available, with the exception of tires, any part can be had with reasonable ease and price and even in a reasonable time frame. the bikes seem to be solid and dependable and do a fair job at their design without change. but like everything else we "personalise" our ride so then its a solid starting point at a reasonable price and now a bargain. i cant say as i havent rode or saddled the new model but it may a good thing as the sierra does have short comings. we just have to wait . :roll:

Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
yes, as spud has said most of the parts are close, but (sorry for this spud) i dont see that as a good selling point, i havent herd anyone wanting parts that arent available, with the exception of tires, any part can be had with reasonable ease and price and even in a reasonable time frame. the bikes seem to be solid and dependable and do a fair job at their design without change. but like everything else we "personalise" our ride so then its a solid starting point at a reasonable price and now a bargain. i cant say as i havent rode or saddled the new model but it may a good thing as the sierra does have short comings. we just have to wait . :roll:
I must respectfully disagree with you on several points, Phil. Firstly, the Zongshen 167FML engine, Teikei MV28 carburetor, and Zongshen 200GY-2 air box are not close copies, they are virtually identical to the same parts used in the 2010 Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. Secondly, I agree that most, but not all, Zongshen 167FML engine parts are readily available, at a very good price; however, there is no guarantee that these parts will remain available after the Sierra 200 is discontinued, or Zongshen stops selling motorcycles in the United States. The TW200 parts have been in continuous production since 1986, and all of them will remain available long after the Zongshen 200GY-2 is just a memory.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #22

Thanks for the input. You have to realize that 99 percent of people are skeptical about Chinese replacement parts, so the idea is kind of reassuring. There is something to be said about knowing that is a copy that is close to a very reliable design.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #23

spud, i cant say they are exactly they have major differences for instances: some of the castings have "CHINA" and the whole side cover is different it has ZONGSHEN all over the side just kidding i knew you would pounce so i had to say that :wink:

Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Thanks for the input. You have to realize that 99 percent of people are skeptical about Chinese replacement parts, so the idea is kind of reassuring. There is something to be said about knowing that is a copy that is close to a very reliable design.
I understand the general skepticism about Chinese parts. However, the Zongshen 167FML engine parts are of excellent quality; I believe they are every bit as good as Japanese parts. Also, the Zongshen 167FML engine parts are much less expensive than Japanese parts. For these reasons, I personally prefer to buy the Zongshen 167FML engine parts. However, I am very comforted to know that I can always purchase the Yamaha TW200 parts if the Zongshen 200GY-2 parts should become unavailable.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
spud, i cant say they are exactly they have major differences for instances: some of the castings have "CHINA" and the whole side cover is different it has ZONGSHEN all over the side just kidding i knew you would pounce so i had to say that :wink:
Phil, this is why I was very careful to state the Zongshen parts are virtually identical to the Yamaha TW200 parts.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #26

Not all Chinese bikes are the same. IMHO, albeit with experiance of ownership of several CBs, the Zongs and Q's are high quality machines. THE EQUAL of their Japanese counterparts.

Lifanoids are fine, but not in the same league.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #27

If I bought one I would really want it to go through a dealer, those bikes are very cool bikes.
They are bigger and heavier then they look in the pictures, very beefy and have a bad ass look to them.

I emailed Miami and asked if there was a local dealer and got an email back the next day. So I went and looked at the bike…this was late November early December last year. I really liked it, but as I was looking it over it had a loose nut on the swing arm, that bothered me. It bothered me because it was on the showroom floor and whoever assembled it did not notice that…theoretically it could go unnoticed by anyone and that’s a big deal.

We all know it’s a good bike, but it needs to be checked over really well when you get one. The fluids the adjustments the carb all may need some tinkering.

You could order one and have it sent to a Yamaha dealer or any dealer with a mechanic, if you are not a good mechanic yourself. You could find one and negotiate a price, then go over it with them as to what it shares with a TW200 a good mechanic can see that if they worked on a TW200 which is not that popular of a model. Most dealer never have them in stocks and if you have one that does sell them they might have your mechanic. All dealers will work on any bikes, if you need a part then you can get it from a Zong dealer or order it from or through Miami. The local mechanic can do what you can’t do.

I would send this guy an email….Nick Lin
nick@zongshenamerica.com

Get the VIN of the bike and can you get it registered with them and what warranty would they offer on it and if you ever need parts; were can you; or a mechanic working for you get them.

Lots of people like the orange color, but I like the black myself it looks bad as hell in black. It only comes is Black or Orange, the $1,499.00 prices I wonder if they have black ones?
http://www.mxmotorsports.us/MOTOBRAV...al%20sport.htm

That’s freight included, you could have it delivered to a dealer to prep it, you can negotiate that your self and also you part supply if that mechanic needs a part.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #28

In my experience, not to many dealers will be real interested working with you on one of these. I also don't think you find it that easy to deal with Zonshen. They sell only to legitimate dealers.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
...We all know it’s a good bike, but it needs to be checked over really well when you get one. The fluids the adjustments the carb all may need some tinkering...
I believe you need to carefully inspect any new motorcycle you receive in the crate. I think you might be surprised by the number of fixes, and adjustments the mechanics need to make to the new Japanese motorcycle they receive at the dealerships.

However, I must state my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 arrived in the crate in excellent condition. All bolts and covers/caps were tight. Quality engine oil filled the crankcase to the proper level. The carburetor, choke, clutch, drive chain, throttle cable, et cetera, were all adjusted properly. After my bike was assembled, I immediately went on a 35-mile ride. Except for two of the four bolts that attached the luggage rack to the sub frame, I have never lost any fasteners from my Zong. Based upon my experience, I believe the Zongshen factory did a very good job assembling my Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
In my experience, not to many dealers will be real interested working with you on one of these. I also don't think you find it that easy to deal with Zonshen. They sell only to legitimate dealers.
yeah and some how they stepped outside their own bussiness model. They have bikes being sold outside the dealer network and those are still considered new.

Zongshen bikes are now being dropped shipped, was yours spud? They did not want that, they seemed to want to go through brick and mortar dealers, a traditional business model.

I do not think parts are an issue currently, any exisitng zong dealer can get you a part.