Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #16

liquid wrench cable lube seems to be purdy good so far.. lubed my clutch cable and its smooooooth

Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
BTW, I'd never use WD-40 on anything I cared about.
Not as a sole source of lubrication.
Wikipedia says: "WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that causes it."...
Using it to clean the cable for a good oiling...or to carry the graphite down into the housing...
Bill
I shared that very fact with Son of Weldangrind, so he doesn't fall into the trap of spraying on everything that squeaks. We have used it as a penetrating fluid with heat.

We start by heating a stuck bolt until it's red, and then we hit it with a quick shot of WD-40. It smokes on contact, but it wicks into the threads and contracts the fastener. The stuck bolt will usually unscrew without much effort. Be cautious if trying this method, and always have a fire extinguisher handy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #18

Quote:

I shared that very fact with Son of Weldangrind, so he doesn't fall into the trap of spraying on everything that squeaks. We have used it as a penetrating fluid with heat.

We start by heating a stuck bolt until it's red, and then we hit it with a quick shot of WD-40. It smokes on contact, but it wicks into the threads and contracts the fastener. The stuck bolt will usually unscrew without much effort. Be cautious if trying this method, and always have a fire extinguisher handy.
Damn I used to love doing that. Removing stuck bolts was probably my favourite job, I got to use flame and make a smoke show.

WD-40 used to be the cleaner of choice for the machinery as well. It would cut the grease off the outside of the machines quite well with a quick wipe. Anything really bad would get the Castrol Super Clean.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #19

krudd kutter is my cleaner of choice..

my boss had me remove the viynal decals off the work truck with a heat gun.. it worked, it removed the black viynal from the glue, but left the glue on the side of the truck..

a good spray of krudd kutter, wait 2 minutes, and spray again, wait another 2 minutes and with just the smallest amount of effort the glue just came right off with a rag..

Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #20

went by hf today to look at a new electric drill and a tap kit..

saw they had those cable lube tool things, so i picked on up for 4.39 after tax.. man it is nice and makes the job so much easier.. takes less then 15 seconds from the time you start the spray to the time its oozing out of the end of the cable..

did my clutch cable and the lube coming out the end of it on top of the motor side case flowed out rust colored for a good 30 seconds.. nasty.. doing my throttle cable agian tomorrow

Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Be cautious if trying this method, and always have a fire extinguisher handy.
Whoop, whoop, whoop, ahh oooga, ahh oooga, ahh oooga...
(poor imitation of a fire alarm)

Love it...
Bill
PS: True words spoken here. Always have an extinguisher handy when working around flammables. B.