Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #16

Thanks for the pic. That makes more sense to me now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
Banned

Now that I think of it, that rear bolt hole could easily be a curved slot, allowing you to fine tune the aim, rather than being fixed.
That way you wouldn't have to do the whole mounting and taking back apart
Does that make sense?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #18

CSC 10W Cree lights

initially I ordered the 30W Cree lights from CSC, but they put out too much light. I was afraid that they would blind or distract on coming traffic. I exchanged the 30W for CSC's 10W Cree lights. I am much happier with these lights.

I wanted the best triangle light effect with my standard headlight, so the Cree were mounted low and inside on the crash bars. This also provide good protection for the lights if the bike should fall over.

I compared CSC prices against what my BMW friends were paying for PIAA Cree lights and they appeared reasonable. You guys have gotten an even better deal, but I also wanted to continue to support CSC so they can continue to provide excellent customer service and maintain their inventory of spare parts.

Here are some photos of my CSC10W lights:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC4764.jpg (57.4 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4765.jpg (42.0 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4766.jpg (35.8 KB, 197 views)

Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
initially I ordered the 30W Cree lights from CSC, but they put out too much light. I was afraid that they would blind or distract on coming traffic. I exchanged the 30W for CSC's 10W Cree lights. I am much happier with these lights.

I wanted the best triangle light effect with my standard headlight, so the Cree were mounted low and inside on the crash bars. This also provide good protection for the lights if the bike should fall over.

I compared CSC prices against what my BMW friends were paying for PIAA Cree lights and they appeared reasonable. You guys have gotten an even better deal, but I also wanted to continue to support CSC so they can continue to provide excellent customer service and maintain their inventory of spare parts.

Here are some photos of my CSC10W lights:
Those look fine. CSC will continue to get my business only when it makes sense. Costs are way down on higher output LEDs and drivers.
The 30W Crees are so focused it was simple to aim them so no one is blinded.
I have them nearly merged together about where the lowest edge of the main headlight beam hits the ground. Perhaps 20 ft from the bike.

And CSCs 30W are a combined 30W (multiple LEDs, each with its own little reflector)
Mine is a single 30W Cree chip. Big difference. Not so much scattered light

Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #20

Dave,

That is a very nice, clean installation. Thanks for posting the excellent photos. Is the on/off switch mounted near one of the lights? Did you hook the auxiliary lights to the A1 power outlet?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Dave,

That is a very nice, clean installation. Thanks for posting the excellent photos. Is the on/off switch mounted near one of the lights? Did you hook the auxiliary lights to the A1 power outlet?
My lights are hooked to A2, less chance of casually hitting the switch.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #22

Quote:
My lights are hooked to A2, less chance of casually hitting the switch.
That makes good sense. Is the on/off switch located near one of the lights?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Now that I think of it, that rear bolt hole could easily be a curved slot, allowing you to fine tune the aim, rather than being fixed.
That way you wouldn't have to do the whole mounting and taking back apart
Does that make sense?
That does make sense. That said, perhaps the CSC mounting style would be easier. It seems to be easily adjustable on two planes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
That makes good sense. Is the on/off switch located near one of the lights?
The aux 2 switch is my on/off switch for the Cree lights.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #25

Quote:
That's the first question I was going to ask. I figured that 30W would be excessively bright.

Quote:
...but I also wanted to continue to support CSC so they can continue to provide excellent customer service and maintain their inventory of spare parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Those look fine. CSC will continue to get my business only when it makes sense.

I agree with both of you. I would like to support CSC, but I'm also open to other vendors for such things. Even though I wish to support CSC, I wouldn't hesitate to shop on Taobao.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Are you using a relay?

Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's the first question I was going to ask. I figured that 30W would be excessively bright.

I agree with both of you. I would like to support CSC, but I'm also open to other vendors for such things. Even though I wish to support CSC, I wouldn't hesitate to shop on Taobao.
Generally I like searching the web for the the best deal, but CSC hasn't become a large company yet. I can't believe that they are making very much by selling the RX3 for $3,495, so the accessories and parts are probably a higher margin sale for them. If we expect that the sole dealer in North America is to survive then the RX3 owners will need to continue to support CSC by purchasing accessories when needed.

I also purchased CSC seat and heated grips. There was a forum topic about where other RX3 owners were getting their heated grips. No one mentioned CSC. I checked ebay and other sources and when you add shipping and handling CSC was asking a fair price.

I don't like over paying, but it sure is nice to call Ryan or Gerry and get an immediate response. That service has value to me and I'm willing to pay a little more to have that great customer service and parts inventory when I need it.

I have no affiliation with CSC, except as a satisfied customer who wants them to continue to do well and provide all RX3 owners with new products ( progressive shock, etc)

Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Are you saying that if you select A2, A1 still has power? If that's the case, you could wire an accessory (like grip heaters) to A1, and the lights to A2. That way, your grip heaters would remain on while the lights are on.
When I installed my heated grips, I tested that idea, because I wondered the same thing. My multimeter registered power to each plug only when the respective switch was on. That is, there's power only to A1 when A1 is on, and power only to A2 when it's on. Bummer!

Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Yes, of course. Then the large object in the wire must be a plug. Is that correct?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #30

Based on Danimal's recommendation, I just ordered the $35 set from EBay.

I plan to wire them into the red hazard warning switch. Never felt I needed the hazard warning feature on a motorcycle.

I expect that by using the hazard switch, it will be easy to toggle through low, high, and strobe settings. That way I'll avoid the need for a headlight modulator.