Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #16

As long as it doesn't make any ugly noises, you might have a winner. Yamaha parts (and fiches) are easy to come by. Besides, you already speak Yamaha.

One member of the old Gio forum had a Bad Boy, and he modded his "Spud style". He had a great time with it, even in the snow.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #17

Ad says it runs fine, needs an oil change and carb cleanout. Not bad price for a Yammy.. bet it's sold before I can get out there though.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...332472596.html

Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #18

Yep, I'm going to get there before you!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Haha certainly are closer than me.

I have an appointment to go look at it bright and early tomorrow. Might have myself a new toy..

Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Haha certainly are closer than me.

I have an appointment to go look at it bright and early tomorrow. Might have myself a new toy..
So I was up early, drove the 1.5 hours out to the 'Wack, almost Rosedale to look at this hunk.

Ad said, "maybe needs battery.." Uhmm.. well, there was no battery on it, and the box it USED to sit in was rusted off. Guy jumped it with his jeep.

"Runs well.." hmm.. if you consider blue smoke out the tailpipe smelling like oil running well..

Carb was definetely a problem, any throttle and it bogged, and then when idling would just suddenly pick up speed and start revving, and you had a bugger of a time kicking it down.

All the cables were rusty, some of the wiring disconnected and falling off.

Even for $750, I passed. Not for me. W&G, it's all yours.

...on the the next deal hunt.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #21

I'm going to pass, mostly because of a surplus of other projects. I'd be inclined to think that the smoke could be cleared with new valve stem seals, although that would likely require cylinder head removal.

Cables could probably be resurrected somewhat with decent cable lube, and a new battery box could be fabricated. The carb is probably fixable. Despite his "firm price", do you think you could offer him less?

How did the rest of it look? Was every piece of plastic broken?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #22

Quote:
I'm going to pass, mostly because of a surplus of other projects. I'd be inclined to think that the smoke could be cleared with new valve stem seals, although that would likely require cylinder head removal.

Cables could probably be resurrected somewhat with decent cable lube, and a new battery box could be fabricated. The carb is probably fixable. Despite his "firm price", do you think you could offer him less?

How did the rest of it look? Was every piece of plastic broken?
It was pretty beat up, the front plastic around both wheel wheels was cracked, it had some yellow paint spilled on the black front rack, it was generally shit kicked. The right front tire had no air in it and when I grabbed it it made noise like it was loose on the axl.

I saw myself chasing problems. I'd expect the exhaust was ready to fall off too. Just was more of a make work project than I wanted. Perhaps if it was 250-300 bucks but he was in 'Its a Yamaha for 750 such a good deal mode.." I just didn't bother with any offers.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #23

Good thing you passed on it. Next!