Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #16

My Hawk is approaching 200 miles and it seems like the trans is loosening up and finding neutral is getting easier, yet it is still rather difficult with the engine running. My solution for the time being is to not shift to neutral

No problem finding neutral with the bike shut off. Just curious, why do you need neutral with the bike running? I just keep the clutch pulled in....

In my experience, finding neutral can be finicky on lots of bikes. The Hawks transmission does seem a little tight, but not sure I would say mine has a "shifting issue".

Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #17

There are riders that say you should leave the bike in gear at traffic stops, in case you have to make a quick gettaway from a traffic problem. Like a car driver obviously can't stop in time, and will crush you. Myself, I shift into neutral to save wear and tear on the clutch throwout mechanism.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #18

I downshift into first gear as I stop. I leave the bike in first gear, and watch my mirrors until someone stops behind me. Only then will I even consider shifting into neutral.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #19

Yea I like to always put my bikes in neutral aproaching stop lights and or stop signs. It prolongs the life of the clutch as even with the bike as the standstill with the clutch engaged it is still wearing.
Important update.
With about 10 miles on the bike, just for the hell of it I really tightened up the clutch line to where it grabs within the with 1/4 of the lever and low and behold it goes into nuetral like a boss! Rolling or or stoped, no longer have any issues.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposur View Post
With about 10 miles on the bike, just for the hell of it I really tightened up the clutch line to where it grabs within the with 1/4 of the lever and low and behold it goes into nuetral like a boss! Rolling or or stopped, no longer have any issues.
I always thought that having the clutch cable tight without the proper slack promotes wear of the assembly, not sure what you call it on bikes but it is a throwout bearing on a car....anyhow clutches on my china bikes seem to last forever IME....glad you can easily locate neutral....finding neutral is typically a bit elusive on every china bike i've owned, that is unless I'm lazy upshifting to second, then it seems easy. Accelerate in first, lazy upshift to second and the engine free revs :(

Old 07-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #21

As long as you have some freeplay, it should be good. And, if you can adjust some or all of the clunk going from neutral into first, it has to be easier on the transmission.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #22

Added some mods to the hawks that made them so much more enjoyable to ride! I installed a shift indicator light and a tachometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150729_033540.jpg (98.8 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg 20150729_033607.jpg (98.6 KB, 753 views)
File Type: jpg 20150729_033609.jpg (96.9 KB, 751 views)

Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #23

7 grand! Do you think it's reasonably accurate?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #24

Very nice, I bought a new "dash" speedometer with a magnetic pickup and tach on ebay but I haven't had a chance to install it. I also bought a gear indicator but haven't installed it yet either.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
7 grand! Do you think it's reasonably accurate?
the tach feel accurate as i have the idle now set to 1500rpm. the bike has a rev limiter around 10k-11k. I feel the torque drop after about 9k

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #26

anyone have any idea where I might be able to pick up a clutch cable and front brake lever that would work with this bike? Buddy of mine dropped the bike over the weekend when his rear tire locked up riding over a wet bridge and layed the bike down. The lever broke like a candy cane. Didn't even look metal...some sort of composite.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #27

found out GIVI and SHAD make mounting kits and cases for the HONDA NXR BROS 150 which is the the same thing as the HAWK but I cannot for the life of me find the part number for it as everything is in Brazilian and they don't have the part listed on any US sites!

Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #28

Are you saying you have a Givi case, but no mount?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #29

Yes I do have a giving case but no mount. After doing some more research I did find that there are 2 manufacturer that make mounts but I can't find a way to order it because it is on a Brazilian website.

Update on the hawk at 430miles. The rear pass foot peg vibrated loose and lost a bolt. My kege tachometer no longer works smoothly..it bounces a lot, only time it sits still is during idle which is fine, that's at I need it for the most anyways.

M

Old 10-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #30

UPDATE on the bike

Took it for some pretty hard offroading last weekend. A lot of thick mud. Uphill tree roots and small hops. I hit some really thick mud in 2nd gear and the bike dropped out of gear and into neutral. It was weird. Hope it doesn't happen again