Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #16

I'm not an expert but I would say yes, it will harm the A frames and frame tubes if you drill all the way through them and run long bolts... The frames on these machines are not really a heavy gauge tube and I'm thinking that the possibility of an A arm snapping where it was weakened by drilling would be very high... It would be much better if you could come up with some sort of clamping method. I'm thinking a bracket that goes around the tube and then has a mount to bolt the skid plate on. You could weld tabs on, but then you would ruin the temper in the tubes and they would probably crack down the road as well. Again though, I'm no expert by any means, that's just my 2 cents. Theyre looking great by the way, aluminum is nice to work with isn't it?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #17

something like this should work (got the idea off a honda forum)

attach 6 to each plate and then bolt to a-arm?

this would also give me the space needed between the a-arm and the plate

Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz

That looks like the ticket! I never knew they made brackets like that 8)

Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #19

well this is as far as I can go now till i get the brackets and hardware to mount them

even counter sunk the mount holes

I think that was a good way to waste the weekend. 8)

Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:

That looks like the ticket! I never knew they made brackets like that 8)
they are electrical conduit brackets....if you bust one they are cheap enough to replace.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #21

ok so finding these hangers locally is out of the question but will go to abbotsford and check there :roll:

other than that you can find them on e-bay at not to bad prices BUT they want $15 to ship "2" (on one i looked at) and another had a box full for around $40 and wanted $60 ish for shipping :evil:

this could be frustrating and kinda comical as well

Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #22

Yeah, you have to love eBay shipping... I was looking at some tires for my KLR and the tires were buy it now for about $60 and the shipping was $96! 8O

Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #23

Those look uptown!

If you drilled through the frame, inserted a piece of DOM tubing in the holes and welded it in, I think the strength compromise would be negligible. Your clamp idea is much faster and easier, though.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #24

havn't drilled through the frame or a-arms yet ...want to go with the clamp ider 8)

Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #25

hoping home depot has these brackets.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #26

Any of the electrical wholesalers should have them.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #27

went to a suplier in abbotsford today and they do not have them in stock but will have them here by next week......and at $.70 each I can wait.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #28

Alternately, you could buy u-bolts at princess auto! I used a similar concept when I built the skid plate on my bike. Just make sure you locktite the crap out of the bolts!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster556
Alternately, you could buy u-bolts at princess auto! I used a similar concept when I built the skid plate on my bike. Just make sure you locktite the crap out of the bolts!
would work but I wanted the skid plates to hang just below the frame and a-arms not tight to it and also bolted from the bottom up where if you used u-bolts you would have to have the nuts and ends of the u-bolts sticking down and could hang up.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster556
would work but I wanted the skid plates to hang just below the frame and a-arms not tight to it and also bolted from the bottom up where if you used u-bolts you would have to have the nuts and ends of the u-bolts sticking down and could hang up.
Very valid points. You're hoping for the squish effect with the skid plates hanging down?