Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #16

Oil for my LS200GY-2

I went to a motorbike garage in my area to ask them about different things and how much they charge for labour etc to get some info as well from them. I asked them about changing my oil in my bike and my manual tells me to use 15w 40.

The person from the garage told me that 10w 40 would be ok too.
I have a picture of the oil I bought from them.
I just want to make sure from the Lifan group of people that this will be ok, or should I run different oil that you guys recommend.

Thanks for your input guys much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil.jpg (89.0 KB, 74 views)

Old 10-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #17

The 10W/40 engine oil you bought is fine. However, I prefer the excellent quality, and low price, of 15W/40 engine oil. You might enjoy reading these two essays on engine oil for motorcycles.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #18

X2 on Spud's comments. The oil you bought is fine, but it's expensive. Regular 15W40 from Walmart is all you need.

We can certainly guide you on changing your oil.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #19

Changing Oil

Great, it only cost me like 10 $ for it. Thanks Spud for the tutorial on different oils out there and how it all came too. Very interesting. Ill remember next time about the good old Walmart oil

I have a window at the bottom of the engine showing a little darkness.
If you have time, tell me how you change your oil the proper way and also what else do I need to keep my engine good and running for the next season. Im keeping my bike in the garage, my wife wont let me bring it in the house! haha.

Is there a filter? should I check out the screen if there is any? and where is it? do I start the engine and just idle it for 10 mins then drain or does it need to be moving in gear etc. I cant really take it for a spin out my neighborhood because I don't have my M licence and I still need to get the bike if its even able to drive it on the road. Would be nice tho

So many things to do and I don't even know where to begin.

Let me know how you do things.

Thanks

**WAITING FOR NEW CARB ** very excited!

Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #20

Put your bikie on the kickstand. Look near the gearshift, and you'll see a very large nut; remove it, and a spring and screen will pop out with it, followed by a litre of oil. Make sure you have a pan under the engine.

Once it has all drained out, clean the screen. Use some carb cleaner or WD-40, and place it back in the hole, rubber end first. Place the spring after that, and then screw the large nut back in place. DO NOT over tighten the large nut, ot it will crack; ask me how I know. Once the nut is secured, fill the engine with oil through the dipstick hole.

The dispstick is not to be trusted. Stand the bike up as staight as possible (get help if necessary), and check the sight glass on the right side of the engine. The oil should be at the upper line.

Have a cold beverage.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #21

Your awesome Weldandrind!

Thanks for the info, I will definitely have a cold one after that! haha

Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #22

Happy to help. let us know how it goes, and feel free to post pics of the process.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #23

Carb replacement.

When taking most items off the bike now, I was looking at the carb that I will be replacing. Im trying to figure out how to replace it without taking more stuff off. If you own a LF200GY-2, do I need to take the motor off to replace the new Carb?

How much stuff would I need to take off the bike to replace the new carb?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #24

You do not need to take the motor out. Remove the airbox and it should come out that direction.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #25

Thanks!

Awesome,
Yeah this is my first time doing this so I may need some step by step help.
Im waiting for the new jet to come in, and I will have to play around and learn from the old one. If I get into trouble Ill ask for help here.

Thanks for the help..

Old 10-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #26

Before you remove the air box, I suggest you try the following procedure.

Remove all cables from the carburetor.
Completely loosen the hose clamps on both side of the carburetor.

Pull the carburetor out of the intake manifold of the engine, pressing it backwards into the hose from the air box. If the hose from the air box compresses enough, the carb will separate from the engine. Once it separates from the engine, pull the carb out of the hose from the air box.

When installing the new carburetor, repeat the procedure above, in reverse.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #27

The airbox will require removal, since the carb is bolted (not clamped) to the intake tube. Remove the airbox hose clamp, remove the air box, remove the two nuts that secure the carb to the intake tube and slide the carb out.

That is, after removing the cables as Spud recommended.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #28

I should know better than to give Hondoid advice. As usual, Allen was correct.

However, I am curious. Does the air box have a hose leading to the carburetor? If so, why can't you merely unbolt the carburetor from the cylinder head, and then pull the carburetor out of the airbox hose?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #29

Depending on the airbox hose design and material, it might be too tight. Also, you risk damaging the hose.

Lifanda's hose is too tight, and I must remove the airbox to remove the carb. I've since gotten rid of that awful box and switched to a pod filter.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #30

I understand; the air box 'hose' on my Zongshen Sierra was made of plastic, not rubber! I replaced this hose with the equivalent Yamaha part for the TW200, and removing the carburetor is now an easy task.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220