Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #16

Hey Spud thanks for checking back. Gerry wasnt in the office until this morning hes off mondays. No resolution yet though unfortunately..Gerry offered to send a new fuel system and has been texting with my buddy having him check everything and so far its all the same no change. Lines are all good from fuel tank and plug is wet with fuel after cranking so hard to believe its a fuel issue. Next item he wanted to check was for a bent valve :/ so hes gonna check that tonight along with compression to see if its a motor issue. Can not imagine it would have a bent valve on a brand new bulletproof engine like this but crazier things have happened. Either way CSC is walking along with us (him) and helping figure out. I'll post updates on what happens next.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #17

Thanks for checking in. We will await further updates.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #18

Further update...not good. After my buddy worked with Gerry and got to the point of checking the valves, it has been determined a new motor is needed. Gerry said it happens with every few hundred bikes where they've had cam chains jump and that change in timing ends up bending an intake valve and/or breaking the rocker arm, which is what happened with my buddies bike. Seems to afflict bikes under 200 miles that are used at higher rpms due to the tight tolerances before breaking in. Apparently the woodruff key on the crankshaft is sometimes to blame. SO lesson learned here is you really do have to break it in and not run it at too high of an rpm first couple hundred miles which is common sense but this proves it. CSC has been awesome as always, and they are picking up the bike day after thanksgiving and bringing it down and swapping out the motor, including putting on a ported/polished head before shipping it back up. So that is awful nice of them. He might see if he can get an accessory or two thrown in as well for the trouble but I gotta say that CSC and their service definitely is impressive and very little if any confidence is lost in this bike from all parties because of that fact. Will continue to post updates for my buddy I think he is trying to register too and can post more updates but either way we'll keep updating all the way till he has his new motor in his RX-3 back in his garage.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #19

Thank you letting us know the outcome, and reporting the superb customer service from CSC. I have never heard of anyone, anywhere, who offers better customer service than CSC

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-26-2015, 02:16 AM   #20

Wow - replacement motor AND ported and polished head? That's awesome! CSC really knows how to take care of its customers. Plus, from what I've heard from Gerry, there's nice and noticeable gains from the ported and polished head. Sorry this had to happen, but it sounds like all will be fine in the end and your friend is actually going to be a little bit ahead with the ported and polished head. (no pun intended.)

Old 11-26-2015, 02:43 AM   #21

glad to hear your buddy is coming out a head in this one...(ok...that was a bad pun..)
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 11-26-2015, 03:45 AM   #22

In this video the videographers ported and polished the intake and exhaust manifolds, as well as the exhaust header. They also do a valve job on the cylinder head.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 11-26-2015 at 04:29 AM.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
So lesson learned here is you really do have to break it in and not run it at too high of an rpm first couple hundred miles which is common sense but this proves it.
The first thing that popped into my mind when I read your initial post: "Brand new bike, less than 80 miles on the odometer, tooling down the freeway in 6th gear. . ."

Sounds like the break-in procedure was completely ignored. I'm glad your buddy is being supported by CSC so well. I wonder if a mainstream brand dealer would have done the same after hearing the details.

As time goes on and I read about other CSC owners with mechanical issues (Few and far between as they have been) I become more impressed with CSC.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 11-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #24

Ha ya the only downside to this whole thing is his bike might be a little more powerful than mine when he gets it back with the ported and polished head. Might lay off the pumpkin pie today so I can work on the power to weight ratio the old fashioned way. don't understand why happened to his bike cause I broke in mine the same way. But minimizing any risk at all is prob smart thing to do for future rx3 owners by making sure to not drone along at a high rpm for any amount of time in first couple hundred miles. And happy thanksgiving everybody. Thankful for this awesome forum.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #25

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Missing my MomĀ“s southern style homecooking and family time today. Hope you all are having a great day.

Just wanted to comment about CSC service. I was in customer service for 18 years and its awesome to hear story after story about CSC stepping up as soon as there is an issue and taking care of their business. We all are well aware of the risk buying a china bike and more than anyone I am sure CSC is aware as well. They have a tremendous amount invested in this venture. Like any product from any country and like any new product hitting the market there are always bound to be issues but its how those companies step up and handle the issues that really shows how well the future of the product will be. So far the Colombian dealer I am working with has been awesome and I hope that continues. Excellent service to quickly handle and repair any issues that arises will only help all of us in the long run. Support from guys like all of you in this forum in growing a community of like minded owners makes that community that much better. So hats off to CSC for the awesome service and hats off to all of you for the technical support and advice that is keeping us all happy and informed.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #26

Undoubtedly, the customer service provided by CSC is unprecedented, and unparalleled in the world of Chinese motorcycles. In addition, I don't think the customer service from CSC can be surpassed by anyone in the motorcycle industry.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-27-2015, 04:07 AM   #27

Its hearing stories like this that have me liking the idea of getting a bike from CSC more and more...Though granted it may end up being a TT Special instead of an RX3 but so be it..
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 12-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #28

Just wanted to update everyone: CSC picked up my buddies bike couple days ago and should have it sometime soon to get motor swapped, in addition to the port and polish. Guy/company who picked it up says this is the 4th RX3 he's picked up overall (as a company nationwide) so a couple we've already heard about and obviously sounds like theres been a couple more, although I dont know if any other ones were blown motors. I'll post more updates as they come.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #29

Glad to hear he's being taken care of. CSC's awesome service is not something CB'ers are used to!
You'd think that there would have been a whale of a noise between the knees when that cam chain jumped ship.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #30

CSC began work on the ported head and new engine swap today. Gerry and all
of CSC has been awesome as promised and this is the message from Gerry to my buddy with pics of whats being put on:

I imagine it'll get finished up today and ship out tomorrow probably getting back up here sometime early next week. I imagine my buddy will probably break his new motor in a little differently this time around, and I just consider myself lucky I didnt have any break in issues either because I rode it just like he did in beginning. Total cost for CSC to do a port and polish for anyone who brings their RX-3 in is $800. So its good to know they do it and that is the cost for someone not wanting to do it themselves, and also great of them to offer that as compensation for the troubles.