Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #16

I rec'd the correct spacers from CSC in the mail on Friday so I swapped in the 49 tooth rear sprocket yesterday. And I am happy to report that 2% change does make a difference in the seat of the pants.

I live at 9,200' and rarely go below 6,000'. The TT250 is pretty much maxed out up here because of the thin air. That 2% change is allowing me to maintain 45 mph on some steep grades that I could not do before.

I'm heading out to Baja on Tuesday afternoon to join the group ride. I am really hoping that all these posts I read about people doing 55 mph down near sea level are accurate.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 10-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
I am really hoping that all these posts I read about people doing 55 mph down near sea level are accurate.
Something would be wrong with the bike if at sea level it couldn't maintain 55. You will soon find out on the Baja ride. Have fun and stay safe!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #18

Looking forward to seeing you, Dan. The Baja ride will be a good one.

We were more than a little surprised by the difference one tooth on the rear sprocket makes. It really wakes up the bike and makes it much more comfortable on the road. I can run an indicated 76 mph on mine, which is a GPS 68 mph. It would have been nice to test a 48T and perhaps even a 47T, but like I said in the blog, none of our suppliers had them and those are actually fairly big changes. We may get a couple of custom sprockets made up to see if the engine will pull the taller gears. I like the 17T/49T so much we may just call it a day with that setup. That 2.882 final drive ratio is pretty close to perfect for a 180-lb rider. The 15T/43T (which would give 2.867 for a final drive ratio) would be very slightly taller, but better is the enemy of good enough. I'm sticking with the 17T/49T combo for now.

I ordered a cell phone mount for the TT250 with a built in converter and installed it this morning, and to my great surprise, the connector plug on it is an exact match for the connector we have on our under seat accessory plugs. I didn't even have to take the tank off to run the wiring and connect it. I may get out and shoot a little video later today.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #19

I think one member several posts up has a video of his TT 250 with a 43, and I think the bike doesn't have enough power to properly be able to utilize that high of a rear sprocket. My guess is a 46 would be about the limit as far as lowering the revs (i.e. buzziness) while maintaining driveability is concerned. I would suggest to have a 46 made to start, and then go to a 47 and/or 48 for additional testing. You already know what a 49 does, and a 43 from the video, so you might as well see how 'extreme' you can go, which would probably be a 46.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
How many links did you have to cut off the chain for the 43 to work?
none, but it put it at almost the limit of adjustment.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 10-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #21

Old 10-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #22

Joe, did you just gut the factory exhaust or what? Sounds awesome!

Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #23

That's a one-off deal we were evaluating for a time. To my way of thinking, nothing sounds better than a single.

The Go Pro does a much better job suppressing the wind noise than does my Midland camera, and now that I found the way to control it from my iPhone, I know when the thing is on and off. What you're hearing on that video is pretty much the way it actually sounded yesterday. I'll be doing more videos on the Baja trip, but due to the amount of upload time, I won't be able to post those until we return.

I am very excited about taking the TT250 on this ride. The more I ride the TT, the more I like it, and I liked it even before I rode it. I saw the bike this one is based on during one of the Zongshen visits, and I knew we needed to bring it to America. This is the 200cc version that was on display in the Zongshen office area...

Steve agreed that the bike was a winner and he specified what he wanted on it...300W alternator, underseat accessory plugs, built-in handlebar switches for the accessories, adjustable damping at both ends, inverted forks, RX3 switchgear and mirrors, colors, and a lot more. Incidentally, those underseat plugs are sweet. I bought a cell phone mount for my TT250 that comes with a built in converter, and it had the matching connector for our underseat connector. It hooked up in minutes. Easiest mod I ever did.

I like the CG engine. I knew from my CSC-150 scooter that these things are bulletproof (I rode my CSC-150 down to Cabo and back), and as most of you know, the engine was specifically developed for people who don't regularly maintain their engines. They are easy to work on and they are strong enough. This engine design is probably the most widely-built engine on the planet.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #24

Love the bike. I can't make up my mind wether to wait on the 17's or buy one of the closeout 16's! Y'all ride safe and have fun in Baja.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
That's a one-off deal we were evaluating for a time. To my way of thinking, nothing sounds better than a single.

The Go Pro does a much better job suppressing the wind noise than does my Midland camera, and now that I found the way to control it from my iPhone, I know when the thing is on and off. What you're hearing on that video is pretty much the way it actually sounded yesterday. I'll be doing more videos on the Baja trip, but due to the amount of upload time, I won't be able to post those until we return.

I am very excited about taking the TT250 on this ride. The more I ride the TT, the more I like it, and I liked it even before I rode it. I saw the bike this one is based on during one of the Zongshen visits, and I knew we needed to bring it to America. This is the 200cc version that was on display in the Zongshen office area...

Steve agreed that the bike was a winner and he specified what he wanted on it...300W alternator, underseat accessory plugs, built-in handlebar switches for the accessories, adjustable damping at both ends, inverted forks, RX3 switchgear and mirrors, colors, and a lot more. Incidentally, those underseat plugs are sweet. I bought a cell phone mount for my TT250 that comes with a built in converter, and it had the matching connector for our underseat connector. It hooked up in minutes. Easiest mod I ever did.

I like the CG engine. I knew from my CSC-150 scooter that these things are bulletproof (I rode my CSC-150 down to Cabo and back), and as most of you know, the engine was specifically developed for people who don't regularly maintain their engines. They are easy to work on and they are strong enough. This engine design is probably the most widely-built engine on the planet.
Culcune...there's your Lifan...copycats who copies who copies who
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
It would have been nice to test a 48T and perhaps even a 47T....
Joe, I'm at 3000' and have the 47 tooth on Mrs 2LZ TT250 (along with other mods). All I can say is "wow" over the stock setup. Stretches each gear out nicely, much better cruising speed but you still have your torque and trailable first gear.
The Baja trip looks to be a ton of fun. Ride safe!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
Joe, did you just gut the factory exhaust or what? Sounds awesome!
Yeah, that's the best sounding exhaust I've heard on a China Bike! What is it?

Old 10-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Joe, I'm at 3000' and have the 47 tooth on Mrs 2LZ TT250 (along with other mods). All I can say is "wow" over the stock setup. Stretches each gear out nicely, much better cruising speed but you still have your torque and trailable first gear.
The Baja trip looks to be a ton of fun. Ride safe!
OK, 47 it is! LOL

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #29

Just food for thought, my two vids of 43t and 45t sprocket. After having done the 43 (because I could not find a 45) I found it was just not strong enough to pull it in stock form. Swapped in the 45 and I'm VERY happy with it. I am still considering a 47t to try as well, but the riding season is almost over here... rumors of snow tomorrow...

43t sprocket:

45t sprocket:

p.s. I am not fully trusting the speed claimed by the 45t sprocket video -- It's a new iPhone7+ and a new gps app -- it looked slow to me compared to my 'seat of the pants' view of the road... I'd love to know if others agree that it looks wrong to them too.

Dave aka Ghan

Old 10-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #30

Thanks for the vid Ghaniba, but I'm not sure it's "a windy day" by the looks of things, all those trees are all standing up right still

Come out here and take a ride on I-25 and you will usually see winds in the 40 to 65+ mph range (with gusts easily getting over 80 mph), until you see the trees leaning over taking a nap... it's not windy

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.