Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
It does, but depending on how weak/dead the battery is, it may not want to kick over. At least not very easily. If it was just low because he left the lights on, but otherwise still a good battery, then it would probably kick over. If the battery is literally dead, or has too much internal resistance to it, then it won't quite generate enough power to start, or stay running at the very least. I have worn myself out in that situation trying to get the bike going.

In truth, I have had way better luck bump starting a dead Hawk than kick starting one.
Oh the bump start, haven't heard that term in a while. Us manual drivers have the advantage.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
10 is a bit light for the starter application, its rated for up to 85a for under 4ft runs, if i were doing a battery cable on my bike, i would go 8ga minimum, probably 6, given i have easy access to all sizes of wire working at a small engine shop ( i have several feet of 4-8ga in my tool box...LOL)

8 ga would bump you up to 150a handling... that may well be the issue right there, along with double checking your grounds are good and clean, and TIGHT on all cables....
Thanks for the info. I have some 8 gauge but not sure if I have enough. What if I double up the 10 gauge on the ground and power side of the starter?

Meaning I run two 10gauge ground cables to the battery and two 10 gauge power cables battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter .

Old 04-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #18

If you have a bunch of 10, you can multiples, to equal conductor size, an 8ga wire is roughly 3 or 4 10s from memory...

Old 05-01-2020, 02:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardnigma View Post
Oh the bump start, haven't heard that term in a while. Us manual drivers have the advantage.

5 vehicles between my girl and I, only one automatic which is her old Volvo wagon winter beater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
If you have a bunch of 10, you can multiples, to equal conductor size, an 8ga wire is roughly 3 or 4 10s from memory...
Two 10's is equivalent to a 7ga.
4 10's is effectively a 4ga
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
5 vehicles between my girl and I, only one automatic which is her old Volvo wagon winter beater.

Two 10's is equivalent to a 7ga.
4 10's is effectively a 4ga
guess i am a sucker for overkill, as i run 4ga on my mower, and 6ga on my bike....LOL

Old 05-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #21

Thanks guys I'll give it a shoot and report back once the new battery gets here.