Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
$100 is a steal for a good motor and all the necessary parts to make it run.
My thinking exactly. Even if I don't get anything out of the rolling frame, I'm still ahead.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Thank you for the gracious offer, little too much work for me though . I am keeping my eyes open for an XR200 or XR250 but the prices around here are sky high so I am just in the nice warm armchair shopping stage
I happen to have an early eighties XR200 (not the R version) twin shocker rolling frame as well. Interested?
Lol! I would love to see your shop my friend! Too bad you live 1200 km's away . Just out of curiosity, what year did the XR's go to disc brakes?

Cheers,
Stew
He beat me to it, but you can't really see his shop amongst the rolling stock. He does have an excellent collection though, and seems to know where everything is. Whatever you need is usually 'in stock' at W&G's place. I don't hang out there enough lately.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #18

Heck I'd like to hang out there! I'll bring a 6 pack. Molsen for you Canuks, I assume? :P

Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #19

I'm not sure if they get Molson out there, all we get out this end is Molson Canadian (which I don't care for), but the Molson is different here anyway! (6%)

Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #20

No thanks. Molson, Labatts, etc are consumed only if free. Mass produced lagers like that are freezing cold, sterile, tasteless booze. That's all, IMHO.

I'd much rather have any of the fantastic micro brews from BC, WA or OR. Those are quality products. When I was in Alberta, I used to enjoy Big Rock products from the Calgary area; I can get them here, but they're too expensive. :(

I like how this thread drifted from a cheap China bike to beer.

Beer's on me, Doc. You deserve it for your generosity at the very least.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #21

Son of Weldangrind got anxious on Sunday and decided to fire up the Hummer, despite it being zero C / 32 F. You can just catch a glimpse of Cooper the Shop Dog; I wish I could explain to him that we're not going riding, just because we pull a bike out of the shop.

The squeak of the rear suspension is hilarious! I don't think this bike has ever had any maintenance love. That said, we've confirmed that there is oil in it, but we haven't even pulled the plug yet. As you can see, it smokes a bit on start-up, but there's hope that with fresh oil and some warm-up time, it'll settle down. Maybe we'll need to install valve stem seals.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #22

That's great. The 90 fired up with one kick. It had been sitting unloved for a few weeks outside. It smoked too. Oh, I have never changed the oil or done any maintenance to it. Just gas and go.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #23

SOW looks like he's a bit shy to be on cam at the end. Not sure what to do with himself.

I'd be interested to know if it'd smoke on startup if it was 20 C outside.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #24

Sounds good! Wee bit of smoke but maybe it hasn't run much for a while? Methinks it will make an excellent organ donor for the XR repower

Cheers,
Stew

(Or you could just use it as is and impress all your neighbors with the squeaky swingarm)

Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
SOW looks like he's a bit shy to be on cam at the end. Not sure what to do with himself.

I'd be interested to know if it'd smoke on startup if it was 20 C outside.
He wanted to kick it into gear and crack the throttle. I wouldn't let him until he got his helmet.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Sounds good! Wee bit of smoke but maybe it hasn't run much for a while? Methinks it will make an excellent organ donor for the XR repower

Cheers,
Stew

(Or you could just use it as is and impress all your neighbors with the squeaky swingarm)
Apparently the guy had to dig it out of the snow when he learned that we were on our way. I don't think it has run for some time.

I agree on the organ donor status. After this video, Son of Weldangrind rode it around our small yard and he was able to pull the front wheel. This is of course before we get our modifying hands on it.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #27

Good find, hard to see prices like that around here... I ended up paying $50 for the piece of junk cb350 parts bike I got last year... Nice to have and $50 isn't much but there's nothing much good on it, I've been using it for reference :P

"Only 6'1" :roll:

Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Good find, hard to see prices like that around here... I ended up paying $50 for the piece of junk cb350 parts bike I got last year... Nice to have and $50 isn't much but there's nothing much good on it, I've been using it for reference :P

"Only 6'1" :roll:
That's why I jumped on it. Being a small wheeled Chinese bike on a cold day in Whistler, he didn't get any other serious offers.

I was comparing Son of Weldangrind's height to my gigantor friend TurboT. If you meet him, you'll understand "only".