Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #301

The project is coming together little by little. Looks good! I bet that 3D printer could make a nice intake.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #302

The printer might be able to print an intake.

But I don't really have any experience in 3D computer modelling and I am not sure how well printable resins handle high temps and fuel.

I could also print a castable resin form then make a mold and pour liquid metal to form...However that resin is rather expensive as well as all cost of the rest of the process

Filament printers might have better material options.

We're also getting into 3D metal printing technology which is pretty amazing.

The modified intake was original to the engine so it kinda belongs... the flow is better than before as I pie cut maybe 5*of angle from it. with a bit of sanding and polishing it will look alright for those prepared to inspect it.

At this point though its all the little imperfections that give the bike character.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:27 AM   #303

I printed an intake and float bowl gasket out of TPU material before. It’s gasoline resistant and cheap filament. But it’s not for resin printers of course. I recommend trying the standard PZ30 for testing as well. I ordered a few extra jets for cheap on eBay when I set mine up with the pod filter. I think I actually need to richen it up a bit. Maybe one more on the main or raise the needle. Either way, it was a $30 carb from Amazon and I’m impressed with how well it works. I do have a slight hesitation when I’m on the throttle for a bit then quickly off and then back on…pumper setup may help with this.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:20 AM   #304

Toe Grab

Holding off finishing the bike a little bit longer folks.

No point paying for all the registration and legalities while the weather has been wet and I'm too busy with higher priorities to make use of the bike.
The floors in my house need to be sanded and I have to do that before I can reinstall my wood fire heater before winter kicks in end of May here in Oz.

The Bike just needs the wiring done....yeah I know I've been saying that 4 or 5 times now.

But it's basically finished...

However I was not happy with the toe perch on the gear shift lever...
this lever came with the engine originally, but I honestly don't know how it was usable.

So I took a punt on Aliexpress and ended up with this. I went by the overall appearance and measurements, wasn't sure it fit but was faily confident it would....and it did.

Bolts up from the bottom which is nice because I had to remove the sprocket cover to get the original off. Blue locktite was applied as precaution

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001696195642.html

A bit more boot friendly making downshifts a doddle now.

enough gap for a size 10 toe under.

Seems to have gone up $4 in price since I bought it.

Just a quick update bump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gshift1.jpg (40.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg gshift2.jpg (47.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg gshift3.jpg (48.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg gshift4.jpg (30.6 KB, 155 views)

Old 05-26-2022, 02:18 AM   #305

That’s a nice find! Yeah your original one way way under the cover. Hope you’re staying warm!

Old 05-26-2022, 03:13 AM   #306

Yeah, that original shifter was way too far in.

The winter is the best time to do projects like wiring anyway, so don't feel bad putting it off.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-27-2022, 03:13 AM   #307

It'll happen eventually.

Floors sanded and oiled.
Currently restoring an old wood burn heater...

Thanks everyone for the +25k views.

fingers crossed the Bike is reg plated before 30k

Old 06-16-2022, 09:51 PM   #308

Could it be the Key

So bit of winter sun respite here in Oz.

Got my floors sanded and the wood heater refurbished.

Decided to roll out the bike and juggle some tools.

If you've been following along the last hurdle was the clutch sprag replacement. During that time a 4deg adv key was installed and the intake manifold was custom adjusted.

Also the PZ30 was leaned a tad on the pilot jet.

Well here i was thinking the bike would just fire up and all I'd have to do was carb adjust...

But I can seem to get it to run right. if at all...

So checked valve lash, spark and drained the carb bowl for a bit of fresh gas.

took the air filter off and there was a bit of back pressure blowing raw fuel out of the carb.

I am wondering if it might be the 4deg adv timing key???

However i'll go over the carby again to see if the rejet threw something out of whack.

Photo added for a winter sun view...but provides no infor other than eye candy...if you can call it that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wintersun.jpg (72.0 KB, 108 views)

Old 06-17-2022, 06:33 AM   #309

Where did you sourced the 4 degrees key?

Old 06-17-2022, 08:16 PM   #310

I purchased it direct from another forum member who didn't need it. Pretty sure it was mentioned a few pages back on this forum thread.

I am 95% sure my bike does not like the timing advance as it just keeps backfiring raw fuel on start attempts. So looks like i'll be taking off the flywheel again and probably ordering another cover gasket...

The 4deg key and smaller pilot jet are all that's changed since the first test ride...So if those a the only 2 parameters seems obvious to me the timing advance key has a detrimental effect on my particular engine.

Old 06-18-2022, 05:43 AM   #311

If you want to sell the key im interested..

Old 06-19-2022, 01:42 AM   #312

A matter of time perhaps.

I'll be hanging onto the key if it ever comes in handy with the CG300 B'bore mod.

Also I'm in Australia, surely it would be easier to purchase a 4* key in the USA.

I think the old original jug has a bit of slop creating knock with adv timing.

I could be over thinking it and maybe it was just a bad sparkplug or flooded cylinder...

Anyway I went back to the standard timing key, and then tried a chinsy spark plug that came with the wiring loom kit and had a healthy spark.

batteries were getting overworked on start attempts so installed the kick start and gave it a few bootfulls.

Bike decided to run again...relief

Bonus information is that my rev counter install worked for the digi dash...though i think it might need the resistor installed as its a bit jumpy.

Bit of black soot poking out so went to 1.5 enrichment screw turns and a 38 pilot...less soot but now backfire/paps on idle...so wil try 2 turns enrichment next...

took about 30min to change the timing key. Side cover gasket survived.

but that's enough for today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg idlerev.jpg (54.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg somebeansrev.jpg (56.8 KB, 100 views)

Old 06-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #313

Looks good, I'm glad it's coming together! One thing from personal experience that I'd like to share with you would be to keep a close eye on your "acerbis" 1/4 turn throttle; I had one for about 3-4 months, and while it worked okay, I had to grease all of the internal parts for it to properly turn, and then eventually the throttle cable broke (from what I could tell, due to poor machining and tolerances, and possibly a design that puts too much stress on the cable).

I returned to the stock tube and throttle housing, and it was 100x smoother and didn't require much more of a turn than the "1/4 turn" housing. I junked it shortly after.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Looks good, I'm glad it's coming together! One thing from personal experience that I'd like to share with you would be to keep a close eye on your "acerbis" 1/4 turn throttle; I had one for about 3-4 months, and while it worked okay, I had to grease all of the internal parts for it to properly turn, and then eventually the throttle cable broke (from what I could tell, due to poor machining and tolerances, and possibly a design that puts too much stress on the cable).

I returned to the stock tube and throttle housing, and it was 100x smoother and didn't require much more of a turn than the "1/4 turn" housing. I junked it shortly after.
The quality on the quarter turn throttles like that one are really hit or miss. The origninal unit I had, which was one of the black no-name units, was actually great. The first cable did break, but I haven't had one break since, so cable quality is a big part of that as well.

The only thing I did have to do with mine was replace the roller bearing. It became gritty and loose very quickly. I put in a good quality bearing for it and haven't had an issue since. Turns really smooth.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #315

I also had some niggles with the throttle...yes the roller was a bit off. I also had to modify the end cap area to accommodate the barbusters so that the throttle wouldn't bind up.

Also it has a smaller grip circumference to the plastic roller throttle that came with the PZ30B kit which means the rubber grips tended to spin on the throttle so I had to use adhesive as well as MX wire grip mod.

I have tendon damage in my right wrist so the less actuation roll is more of therapeutic requirement.

The Acerbis red alloy 1/4 roller throttle came from aliexpress so I expected chinisium...

I have the PZ30B kit throttle as backup.