Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #346

I did mention that the rim was only a facsimile of round, so good enough is the best one can hope for.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I'm working in San Francisco this week. Turned out it was something the sales rep could have handled and saved the company some bucks.

Anyway, as I'm wont to do, if there is a Ural dealer in the area, I will pay them a visit, if I have time. I had time. This time it was TriQuest Cycles in Santa Clara. I had a great visit with Ski, the owner and a great guy. Ural sales and service is all he does. We ended up shooting the breeze for about two hours in his office.

I got quite the education, too.

He showed me the 'Dealer Tools' on the IMWA website and asked me for the VIN of my bike. Surprisingly, I had it on my phone with my insurance policy. He entered it in the IMWA website and my VIN came up as being part of a recall. The recall was for an improperly cut circlip groove on a tranny shaft. Ski emailed IMWA in Redmond, WA, asking if mine had been done. As I've never had a shifting issue, he said it either didn't have a bad shaft or it had been done. Twenty minutes later, IMWA replied that mine had been done on 9/26/07. He told me a lot of the behind the scenes history of Ural in the US, from CMSI, the original importer, to IMWA today, as he was there for most of it. Also told me which online dealers that are good to work with and which to avoid. I'm familiar with all he mentioned, and agreed with his assessment.

I also toured his shop and I got a closer look at the 2018 models. They are a lot less clunky looking than my 07. Ski said 07 was one of the better years for Ural but they still had their issues, as I can attest.

This was one of the best visits I've had.
Cheesy, look me up if you're ever in the Phoenix area. There's a Ural dealer (actually, it's one of the largest motorcycle dealers I've ever seen in my life. They have Ural, Ducati, Vespa, BMW, the Japanese Big 4, Aprilla, it's pretty awesome walking through their showrooms) up in Scottsdale. It's worth the ride up and around the 101. If you're ever out this way, we can pull some of the toys out of the garage and go for a ride.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #348

I will take you up on that if I’m ever in Phoenix longer than it takes to change planes.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #349

Quote:
I will take you up on that if I’m ever in Phoenix longer than it takes to change planes.
Looking forward to it. I would like to get your take on the differences between your carbureted Ural, and the newer fuel injected rigs. It would also be awesome just to sit down and have a beer with someone who has a lifetime of different experiences. Hopefully it works out sooner rather than later.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #350

Quite the morning. Just to give you an idea of the weather at Chez Fromage, I stepped out of the house at six am and my glasses fogged up.

I was out at six am to change out TWO Ural tires. One worn out, one flat. I wasn't sure if I effed up the one that went on me Sunday but I figured I'd replace it anyway with a new tire. Haven't looked at the flatted tube yet but have a very strong suspicion that rust on the rim caused the problem. Anyway, cleaned both rims down to bare metal before mounting the tires. First time in a long time that I did not pinch a tube when mounting a tire, too.

Four hours later, rode the rig to work at the bike shop after I finished. Neither has gone soft yet, so I must have done something right

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 06-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #351

Another possible meaning of RPOC: Retired Pissed Off Cheesy
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Another possible meaning of RPOC: Retired Pissed Off Cheesy
If I were retired, I’d not be pissed off.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #353

Quote:
If I were retired, I’d not be pissed off.

Unless the RPOC grenaded its rear diff again...
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Unless the RPOC grenaded its rear diff again...
That’s just a shoulder shrugger.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #355

An RPOC cruised by the house tonight.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #356

Man, the Ural got quite the workout this past two weeks with the grandkids. At least four tanks of fuel. Last night, Karis and I rode the 35 miles to the Sycamore Speedway in Sycamore, IL so she could see dirt track racing one more time before we take her back home. She has become quite the fan of noise, dirt, and stink. And female drivers.

The rig got its fair share of UDF in the parking lot and we had a very pleasant ride home in the dark, getting back around 11pm.

Other things that happened with it these past two weeks were a hundred mile ride for a car show, picnic, and ice cream with the oldest grandkids. A little yard riding with the two youngest ones. Also did an overnight camping and fishing trip with older ones. I felt the need for a scotch laced coffee after that adventure.

Although, I’ve grown to despise my employer, I’m looking forward to get back to work to get some rest.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #357

Someone is sneaking up on me.

This is at the Sycamore Steam Show. http://www.threshingbee.org/ There were more bikes there this year than in the last five years combined, including this beauty.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #358

Becoming quite the little truckster.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #359

New speedo arrived today. Tach came a couple of weeks ago. Tomorrows' project.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #360

New Speedo Install Day today. Planned on doing the tach, too, but things were a tad more involved than 'plug n play' with the speedo and didn't get that far.

Why did I pick this speedo over the plethora of other GPS units out there? Two reasons. First, it's designed to use a remote reset button. So no hacking to adapt one. The second, a manual reset trip meter with a memory. The trip meters on the others I looked at would reset to zero when the ignition was turned off. Tough to know when it's time to gas up when you are always starting out at zero. At least the carbed Urals have a reserve petcock. The fuelies, ahem, yer ESS OHH ELL when she starts to sputter.

Installation is pretty straight forward. The unit is similar to a larger VDO gauge as it is held in place with just one large plastic ring. I was pretty pleased that I didn't need to use the Ural riser ring when installing the gauge. That came back to bite me later.

As this is a GPS speedo only, there are only four wires plus the GPS receiver. Red(+), Black(-), White and Green go to either side of the remote button. The GPS receiver has a coax connection. Hooked everything up and it worked.

About getting bit. When I installed the last unit, I cut the Ural riser ring enough so that unit would clear the internal crossbar. I held on to the shorter section of the ring. Good thing, too. When I went to install the headlight, the bucket wouldn't clear the coax connection. So, disconnect the wiring, remove the speedo, fit the ring, and put everything back together.

The unit does work well but I have a few dislikes. It's not as bright as the last unit, so it can be hard to read in bright sun. There is supposed to be a backlight, but damned if I can find it. Contacting the seller about that. The cable for the receiver is pretty short. My original plan was to mount the receiver on the top of the tail light bracket. No soap. Mounted it on top of the headlight nacelle. Dislikes, but not deal breakers.

The receiver is that black thingy on top of the nacelle. The cut up sour cream container is in the early stages of becoming a shade for the speedo. It is in paint now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800