Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2023, 12:00 PM   #3676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Is that the green metallic color band in the center or is it a black?
More of a deep brown with gold striping. I wanted a chrome tank but without the red stripe of the newer Mark II. I have a leather strap to go over it anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (150.8 KB, 4 views)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-29-2023, 09:09 PM   #3677

Added another project to the fold today, was given a blown up stihl ms661 chainsaw ( will load pics next week of the carnage if anyone is interested )

So, got looking around and found a complete top end that is a factory design (aftermarket) ported casting that would normally be a $350 jug and slug on clearance due to being discontinued by the manufacturer for the grand total of $26 shipped to my door... not gonna turn down that LOL that ms661 to buy new with soa 25" bar is about $1650....alao addes a set of felling spikes for it that were onsale on amazon for $5...

So... anyone want a saw build thread?LOL

Old 12-29-2023, 09:27 PM   #3678

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Added another project to the fold today, was given a blown up stihl ms661 chainsaw ( will load pics next week of the carnage if anyone is interested )

So, got looking around and found a complete top end that is a factory design (aftermarket) ported casting that would normally be a $350 jug and slug on clearance due to being discontinued by the manufacturer for the grand total of $26 shipped to my door... not gonna turn down that LOL that ms661 to buy new with soa 25" bar is about $1650....alao addes a set of felling spikes for it that were onsale on amazon for $5...

So... anyone want a saw build thread?LOL
I don’t mind the build thread ,but I rather you sent me the saw ! That’s a nice unit and I could use something like that .

Old 12-29-2023, 10:14 PM   #3679

Movie tickets at senior prices to see 'Godzilla Minus One'. Worth it at full price.

It wouldn't be a Cheesy and Mrs.C Christmas without at least one Godzilla movie.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-29-2023, 10:40 PM   #3680

I bought a couple 24" tire bars ($6.99 ea) from HarborFreight and a couple 10" ones ($9.99/pair) from AutoZone so I could replace 4 missing spokes and true the wheel.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 12-30-2023, 08:51 AM   #3681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I don’t mind the build thread ,but I rather you sent me the saw ! That’s a nice unit and I could use something like that .
It will round out my stihl collection quite well, got small to big, ms170, ms280, lightly ported 10mm pin 044 (if you know, you know LOL) and now the ms661... LOL planning a 32" bar for this one...

And, all of them were freebie saws surrendered by customers due to cost of repairs...

Old 12-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #3682

Also, Bruces, have you looked into the clone saws? I have worked on a few of the Holtzforma G660s, they are pretty decent considering the sub $400 price tag, replace fuel lines and intake boot with OEM stihl, and maybe a carb ffrom stihl as well, and you have a pretty darn reliable 90cc class saw for cheap

Old 12-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #3683

I have looked into the clone saws ,they seem to be very good for the money ,but long term is a crapshoot .I guess we are a lot alike ,I usually end up with others junk ,I figure them out and usually get years of service out of them .
A few years ago I got a brand new ms170 for $4.00 ,someone bought it and didn’t bother adding any oil to the gas ,unfortunately the cylinder was toast ,but not a scratch on the rest of the saw ,a little search got me a brand new Chinese longblock for $35.00 delivered ,I gave the saw to my buddy and his idiot brother in law cut dozens of cords of Maple firewood with it for 4 years .I got it back recently with no compression,but for $40.00 doing a job way over its pay grade it was pretty amazing .
I am building a bandsaw mill this year ,would like a saw larger than my 066 that just won’t quit ,and looking for something to run a 24” bar on ,I don’t need bigger than that .I am planning to build a stone and log cabin starting this year .

Old 12-30-2023, 01:49 PM   #3684

I had a Husqvarna rancher 450 with a 18" bar. The rubber mounting system was too soft and the bar would bounce while cutting. The engine could handle more push, but the saw bounced because of the vibration isolation mounting. The choke was integrated into the shutoff and it was difficult to start (and I did tune it).

So I took a chance on the Holzfforma G660 powerhead (a Stihl clone). It is a 92cc saw, and I put a good Oregon 24" bar on it with an Oregon full chisel Powercut saw chain. Whoa, what a beast. It can handle 30" bar, I am sure. I have used it on oak, maple, walnut... for a couple of seasons.

Every time I got the old Rancher out, I was disappointed, so in the middle of last Summer, I replaced it with a Husqvarna clone saw. I got a Holz G372XP Pro. It actually came with upgraded parts including a Nikasil cylinder, Walbro carb, Meteor piston, Caber ring, NGK plug, but no bar. So I got it a 20" Oregon Powercut with companion full chisel chain. I should have gotten it a 24" bar. It isn't as powerful as the G660, but damned near! I got $300 for my old Rancher, with case and a couple of chains I couldn't use anyway. It nearly paid for the 372 clone.

Both of these saws were easy to tune, start right up, idle perfectly, and casually rip through logs. Of course, the Oregon chisel chains and bars do a great job transferring torque from the powerheads to the wood.

The G660 has the most hours on it. It still runs like new. So I decided to get an arborist saw for limbing and trimming. It is a Joncutter clone as well. It is great for one-handed reach cuts up on a ladder or in the tree. It was just as easy to tune and starts, idles perfectly, like the other two saws. I am selling my electric pole saw now. The arborist handles those jobs. It is a little ball of fire!

Here are pics of the 372 (just dipped plastic, not carbon fiber on the carb cover) and the arborist saw. Will they last? Can't say, but I could buy more than two of each for the price of the Husky and Stihl saws, and parts are interchangeable.

372Pro.JPG

1hpArboristLimber.JPG

Old 12-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #3685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I have looked into the clone saws ,they seem to be very good for the money ,but long term is a crapshoot .I guess we are a lot alike ,I usually end up with others junk ,I figure them out and usually get years of service out of them .
A few years ago I got a brand new ms170 for $4.00 ,someone bought it and didn’t bother adding any oil to the gas ,unfortunately the cylinder was toast ,but not a scratch on the rest of the saw ,a little search got me a brand new Chinese longblock for $35.00 delivered ,I gave the saw to my buddy and his idiot brother in law cut dozens of cords of Maple firewood with it for 4 years .I got it back recently with no compression,but for $40.00 doing a job way over its pay grade it was pretty amazing .
I am building a bandsaw mill this year ,would like a saw larger than my 066 that just won’t quit ,and looking for something to run a 24” bar on ,I don’t need bigger than that .I am planning to build a stone and log cabin starting this year .
If all you are trying to pull is a 24", and you have an 066, go for a g440 clone, hands down, or a husq 372xp clone, similar power and weight... i currently have the 32" bar on my 044, doesnt love it but will pull it...

Old 12-30-2023, 05:28 PM   #3686

Quote:
If all you are trying to pull is a 24", and you have an 066, go for a g440 clone, hands down, or a husq 372xp clone, similar power and weight... i currently have the 32" bar on my 044, doesnt love it but will pull it...
Yup, the 372XP clone will pull a chain on a 24" bar and depending on the condition of the chain, happily take a good push. Keep the oiler flowing, and realize you will be generating HEAT on that bar!

Old 12-30-2023, 06:05 PM   #3687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Yup, the 372XP clone will pull a chain on a 24" bar and depending on the condition of the chain, happily take a good push. Keep the oiler flowing, and realize you will be generating HEAT on that bar!
My tired 044 pulls a 32, but its pretty happy with a 20 LOL i would be curious to do a side by side of my 280 (m tronic with muffler mod) and my 044 (stock muffler, with a dual port front cover on the way as of 3pm this afternoon LOL)

Old 12-30-2023, 10:58 PM   #3688

I got a Chinese off brand chainsaw....guess it's a lot like these bikes. Mine has a stupid name like many import brands...they get lost in translation. Mines a Garwinner. For around the house, it's a 62cc saw with a 20" bar and after 2 years, I really can't complain. It wasn't much over a hundred bucks and starts and cuts consistently.
strength!)

Old 12-30-2023, 11:57 PM   #3689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
I got a Chinese off brand chainsaw....guess it's a lot like these bikes. Mine has a stupid name like many import brands...they get lost in translation. Mines a Garwinner. For around the house, it's a 62cc saw with a 20" bar and after 2 years, I really can't complain. It wasn't much over a hundred bucks and starts and cuts consistently.
Kinda sorta LOL the saw you have iant a vlone, its made by YONGKANG PUYUAN TOOLS CO., LTD.

The saws we were talking about are blatant clones of stihl and husqvarnas, proven designs, that are copied so well you can interchange and mix and match any if the parts with the oem product...LOL nothing like a little copy right infringement...somehow they get away with it though...

Old 12-31-2023, 10:48 AM   #3690

Quote:
Kinda sorta LOL
I'm not comparing my Garwinner to the Holzforma. I know there's no contest there.
strength!)