Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #31

FWIW the Zong records miles, not km.

I think the tank is about 2 gallons, 70 MPG or so would be about 100 miles to reserve, so you seem to be in the ballpark.

Mine did about 75 until it got creamed as well. :?

The important thing id it will do 60 easily.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler
Replacement chain is on my sons zong! I didnt even need to take off the chain guard. Thanks Spud!...
You're welcome, Dave! Thanks for the update.
Quote:
…Took the bike on a 30km ride tonight, still running great after the first 2000 km of my son riding it.

Just curious, what range do most get on the zong? We are seeing about 100km per tank. Is that what others are seeing?…
Doesn’t your Zong’s odometer measure miles, Dave? My Zong’s odometer is labeled in miles, and I have verified that it records miles by riding a pre-measured route.

Ordinarily, I used to ride about 125 miles before I reached “reserve” on the stock fuel tank. However, if I was riding wide-open-throttle against a stiff Idaho wind, I might only ride 90-100 miles before I reached “reserve.”
Quote:
…The weather is getting colder here in NJ, and i noticed tonight, i could get the bike up to 120 kph, or about 74mph. Probably the colder denser air or the bike is really just broken in! Still thats not bad for a little 200cc chinese bike.
Amen! That's not bad at all! The Zongshen 167FML engine is very nice little powerplant. Every once in a while I read reports that the Zong's engine is underpowered. :? After riding my Zong for 21,000 miles, I can report that the engine is not underpowered. However, the Zong is geared too high from the factory with a 15-tooth countershaft sprocket.

I am very glad your Zong is running well, Dave! If you change the engine oil frequently, and check the valve clearances according to the schedule in the Owner’s Manual, your Zong should last for many miles.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...Mine did about 75 until it got creamed as well. :?

The important thing id it will do 60 easily.
Yes, my Zong will cruise at 60 mph all day long. I also have a top speed of 75 mph.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #34

Are you sure the odometer/trip meter records miles? I tested that today.
I was driving down a highway that had mile markers and i checked it twice. both times the bike turned a full digit before the mile marker would arrive, so I assumed that it was clicking over about every .62 of a mile or 1 kilometer. At each point i reset the trip meter to zero, and observed the odometer so i am pretty sure its kilometers, or close to a kilometer reading. 8O

FWIW i am running stock tires.

Also why would they have the primary speedometer record in kilometers and miles secondarily, underneath? AND have the odomter use miles?
doesnt make sense.

i mean maybe mine is not recording correctly, but thats what i am seeing.

Dave

Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #35

also, the last tank we got 109 on the odometer for a full tank before we had to hit the reserve. Generally my son says, for every 100 needs to get a tank of gas.

We run it on premium only.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Are you sure the odometer/trip meter records miles? I tested that today.
I was driving down a highway that had mile markers and i checked it twice. both times the bike turned a full digit before the mile marker would arrive, so I assumed that it was clicking over about every .62 of a mile or 1 kilometer...
Dave
Yes, my odometer records miles. Perhaps your odometer is slightly off, but I bet it is closer to recording miles than kilometers.

If you get the time, please try this experiment. Measure a mile on a country road with your car's odometer; then travel the same route with your Zong. I bet your Zong's odometer records something like 1.1 miles, instead of the 1.6 miles you would expect if it were recording kilometers.

Also, the reading on your trip odometer when you refill the gas tank seems to indicate it is recording miles. If your odometer is truly recording kilometers, you are not getting very good gas mileage.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #37

I agree with Spud. Even my Gold Wing will read a little less than 1.1 per mile. All speedos are calibrated a little optimistic to help prevent accidental speeding. I also suspect my Zong's read a little faster than that, but never had the chance to check it. I's run the bike over a 5 or 10 mile course of marked highway and divide to get a better idea of your odometer. Mine is miles, other Zongs I';ve seen and heard of are also miles. Jersey miles may be different though. I'm from Joisey.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #38

Quote:
All speedos are calibrated a little optimistic to help prevent accidental speeding…
Yes, I consistently read that all the Japanese, OEM motorcycle speedometers give readings that are 10% “optimistic.” In other words, the speedometer indicates you are traveling 10% faster than your actual speed. As Doc stated, I surmise the manufacturers (or government agencies) mandate this built-in error to discourage speeding. :evil: Therefore, I have always assumed that many odometers are likewise “optimistic.”

For example, here is a thread from the TW200 forum complaining of inaccuracy in the TW200 speedometer. If you visit other forums, you will find many posts with a similar theme.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/48930/ShowPost.aspx

Quote:
I agree with Spud. Even my Gold Wing will read a little less than 1.1 per mile...
That is an interesting fact, Doc. Is your Gold Wing’s speedometer an analog, or digital unit? I doubt anyone would claim the Gold Wing's speedometer is a cheap, poorly manufactured instrument.

When I first got my Zong, I measured a 1.0-mile course with my car’s odometer; I then rode the same distance with my motorcycle. As with Doc’s Gold Wing, my Zongshen’s odometer recorded a little less than 1.1 miles for the distance traveled. My speedometer is also “optimistic” by ten percent. After reading many internet posts on this subject, I assume this inaccuracy is common for most motorcycles; therefore, I accept it as “normal.” :roll: I always subtract 10% from the speedometer reading whenever I want to judge my true speed. :roll:

If you want an accurate speedometer/odometer, you usually need to purchase an aftermarket, digital unit. Apparently you must do this even if you own an expensive Japanese, or European motorcycle. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #39

A GPS would be a good way to go also.

Everything on the Wing is the highest quality, and priced accordingly. 8O . It is designed/engineered for 300,000 mile service, and has no problem doing that with a minimal amount of maintence. Nice bike.

The Wing's speedo is digital, but drives an analog readout. It can be reprogrammed to remove the built in 'error' but it's not something I bother with.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 AM   #40

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the "optimistic speedometers" go hand in hand with "optimistic odometers". There was some press about this in cars recently, and it dealt with the car displaying more overall miles than were actually travelled. I think it was Honda that settled out of court, but I'm not sure.

It's brilliantly devious on part of the manufacturers when you think about it. The warranty expires sooner, and people ultimately replace their vehicles sooner. It doesn't make alot of difference to one consumer, but when you factor in several million automobiles...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the "optimistic speedometers" go hand in hand with "optimistic odometers". There was some press about this in cars recently, and it dealt with the car displaying more overall miles than were actually travelled. I think it was Honda that settled out of court, but I'm not sure.

It's brilliantly devious on part of the manufacturers when you think about it. The warranty expires sooner, and people ultimately replace their vehicles sooner. It doesn't make alot of difference to one consumer, but when you factor in several million automobiles...
You stole my thunder, W&G. :o I was going to bring this up as I read it somewhere, I think when I was researching oil specs for the Dodge. Lots of people complaining Dodge spec'd 5/20 to make the engine not last as long, to sell more parts and trucks.. then the speedo thing came up too.

How it applies to motorcyles with very little warranty I'm not sure..

Old 11-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #42

As a former engine builder, do you believe the claims about 5W20 contributing to an early demise?

I believe that 5W20 frees up horsepower (as proven in a recent Car Craft article). I also believe that the oil pump and oil filter pressure relief spring in a given application is tuned for a specific weight, meaning that you shouldn't change weights arbitrarily. Not sure if oil feed holes are similarly matched to oil weight and viscosity.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #43

Quote:
As a former engine builder, do you believe the claims about 5W20 contributing to an early demise?

I believe that 5W20 frees up horsepower (as proven in a recent Car Craft article). I also believe that the oil pump and oil filter pressure relief spring in a given application is tuned for a specific weight, meaning that you shouldn't change weights arbitrarily. Not sure if oil feed holes are similarly matched to oil weight and viscosity.
Not sure if this is the proper place for this discussion as we'd be hijacking a thread..... but... considering I'm using 5w/20 in my truck is the quick answer to your question.

The conspiracy club would have you believe they've selected this oil for that reason, to reduce the internal mass of thicker oils therefore to pump the engine power numbers up for marketability reasons, but cutting short the engine life. (thinner oil, less protection etc)

The folks claiming they've always used 20/50 in their V8's and won't stop now just have their heads up their butts. These new engines are not much like the 350's of old. Oil passages are narrower and longer, lifters are smaller. These engines will plug up with thick oil, essentially starving it because of too slow drainback. Then who's the smart one?

You're right about the filters and screens as well.

I really don't see any practical reason to questioned the mind of an engineer who designed an engine that makes 350HP, in stock production on his choice of the best oil. Who are you kidding?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #44

Quote:

I have also read that the "optimistic odometers" deceive motorcycle riders into thinking they are getting better gas mileage.

My automobile speedometer and odometer are both accurate. However, it seems that almost all motorcycle speedometers are "optimistic." I know that my Zong's odometer records "optimistic" miles; I wonder if "optimistic" odometers are also the rule for most motorcycles? :?:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #45

JUST TO PUT IN MY 2 CENTS I CHECKED MY SPEEDO AGAINST A SCHWYNN BICYCLE SPEEDO AND WHEN MY ZONG SAID 60MPH THE SCHWYNN SAID 49.5 GIVE OR TAKE I FIGURED THE TIRE DIAMETER SEVERAL TIMES TO MAKE SURE I HAD IT RIGHT. WITH THAT BEING SAID IF I RIDE AT A COMFORTABLE CRUISING SPEED I SHOW AROUND 117-125 MILES T0 RESERVE BUT IF I RIDE IN A HURRY LIKE I NORMALLY DO I GET AROUND 104 MILES TO RESERVE. SOUNDS PRETTY CLOSE TO WHAT YOU GUYS ARE REPORTING.

SHAWN