Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #31

Back together yet?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #32

Not yet, I lost a day because the dog ear repair didn't take. I suspect a bad clamp. Anyway, I have more photos! I got the dog ear squared away and I got the flywheel cover cleaned up. Gotta love a dremel!

Flywheel cover cleaned up.

Inside view of flywheel cover, you can see where I repaired the little crack.

Dog ear fixed. Should be rock solid now. If not, it becomes a stud holder :twisted: . I have not rethreaded it yet and it looks crooked because of the angle and the light .

Another view with a bolt (not THE) bolt as 'a' bolt has a 10mm head and 'the' bolt is 8mm.

Rough in with the two pieces.

JB Weld art - because if you don't have a sense of humor, you don't have anything .

Clamped in and JB Welded .

So that is where I am as of now. I hate waiting for JB Weld to harden. Takes for flipping ever lol.

Stay tuned! Tomorrow: Gasket making 101 . I may have the 9 year old do it to illustrate how simple it is . This gasket got off in one piece the first time, but it is clearly done now.

Daddy 8)

Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #33

Im confused abit. The dog ear piece is part of the flywheel cover, correct? If that is so, why does the hole need to be tapped. Shouldnt the bolt pass freely though and screw into the threads in the case? Or is the dog ear part of the case?

Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #34

Normally you would be correct, however on this cover that is the only dog ear that just hangs out. The chain guard and cover bolt thread into this puppy.

Daddy 8)

Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #35

JB weld art

Its a Ying / Yang thing - Used the JB weld to fix a transmission part on a Suzuki Samuri I used to have - worked great.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #36

Okies! I'm to that nerve wracking portion called assembly. I keep reminding myself: A) there are no moving parts involved B) there are no moving parts involved.

Here is a picture of the finished product. It is all polished up and pretty .

To make a gasket I typically cut the material down as far as I can by eyeballing it. It makes making the impression way easier.

I got out wifey's trusty ink pad and blotted the frame of the flywheel cover and stamped it down on some gasket material. Once a stamp has been made I'll go around and fill in the blanks with a pencil. I use a pencil because erasers can be a good thing .

And here ya go, a gasket. Joy! A stardard hole punch is the perfect size for those 8mm bolts. After it is pegged in using the bolts I go around and carefully trim the inside edges so nothing can get gummed up on a piece of protuding gasket.

Also, as a general gasket install rule especially for soft metal: I always dress both sides of the gasket with blue RTV. Not certain why - the gasket would be fine by itself I'm sure, but you can never have too good a seal . And then there is the whole if it leaks I scream factor to consider....

Daddy 8)

Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #37

Allrighty then. While I was torquing the bolts to 7ft lbs I heard the smallest 'ping'. Hoping it was my imagination I put oil in it and fired it up. I let it idle for about 20 minutes while I cleaned up the garage. I found a leak! The smallest droplet was forming, but any oil out of the engine isn't oil in the engine.

I got it apart and saw the issue immediatly. While it was seating it must popped. One side of the weld had cracked. Should be an ez fix, but soooo time consuming :(.

Daddy 8)

Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #38

Have you priced out a new cover? I would be terrified of the repair failing on the road or on the trails and losing all my oil (and the engine!). I know some people have fixed holed cases with JB Weld, but that's usually just a "get it home" fix. Hope you get it figured out.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #39

Can you get a new crankcase cover under warranty? I agree with Stew; I would feel more confident riding with a new crankcase cover. Once again, thank you for posting the great photos, and sharing all the information regarding this motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #40

I don't think I can get a new one under warranty. Although the initial issue could have maybe been a claim the actual case cracking was my fault all the way - so unless Pitster is willing to be way cool I'll probably have to pony up the cash for a new one. So far I have been unable to find similiar parts for this model motorcycle anywhere on the Internet (although I have the engine model code now). The manner in which it was damaged does not lead me to believe that even in the event of a failure it would strand me. And even if it started leaking again it would take days for the oil to drain. We shall see what we shall see. By the time I get home today I'll be able to reassembly and leak test again. After I make another gasket....

Daddy 8)

Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #41

I was thinking about your comment regarding changing the hole to a stud. If you buy a new cover, it seems like a good idea to use a stud in the hole vs. bolt; hopefully it will prevent future damage.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #42

To be honest I appreciate the project but I'd ask Pitster for a new part, and be HAPPY to buy it if available. Time IS money and if you leaked out all your oil on the trail the first symptom you notice may be a siezed engine. :(

Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #43

Sorry for the delay in update - I was out of town and lovin' it. Anyway, a week and some change later it still leaks under load. Watch for the thread under "dealer discussion" about getting a new one. We shall see how easily pitsterpro parts are to come by

daddy 8)

Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #44

All of us would love to see your problem resolved. Have you received your left crankcase cover? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #45

ok oj im sure you are going to end up banned... i hate spammers