Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #31

I'm still thinking of either flat or semi-gloss black.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'm still thinking of either flat or semi-gloss black.
As always, thanks your input, WA. If I choose black, I will use Krylon Fusion, ultra-flat, black camouflage paint. I have discovered this paint is an excellent color match for the Clarke fuel tank, and the Zong's black plastic.

I am glad I mounted the lower fork protectors; I was probably lucky to avoid damaging my fork seals. I never liked the cheap, clunky design of the factory fork guards. 8) However, I think the Acerbis, KTM, lower fork protectors look good, and they protect the forks very well.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #33

i don't mind the silver and it camo"s the clamps .

Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
i don't mind the silver and it camo"s the clamps .
Thank you for your input, Racer; I agree. I was going to drill and tap several bolt holes for the fork guards. However, I discovered the hose clamps hold the fork guards very securely, and don't look bad at all with the silver fork protectors! I think bolt holes might compromise the strength of the forks, so I am going to stick with the hose clamps, or something similar. Of course, I am happy to receive suggestions regarding this matter.

I liked the appearance of my Zong without fork guards; however, I am now very happy with the added protection provided by the fork protectors! The silver color best simulates the absence of fork protectors. Also, The silver color is molded into the plastic, so I would never have to repaint it. Finally, the silver fork guards nicely match the color of my rims, spokes, hubs, brake disc, forks, skid plate, heat shield, FMF silencer, and swingarm.

Of course, if I choose another color, I can always paint the hose clamps.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #35

Or you could use polished stainless clamps. They compliment every colour, IMHO.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Or you could use polished stainless clamps. They compliment every colour, IMHO.
I don't think they sell those at Home Depot. :? Where do you suggest I buy them, WG? Also, do you think a T-bolt hose clamp would look better than the screw-type hose clamp?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #37

They should sell stainless clamps in the plumbing section. If not, try Lowes.

T-bolt clamps look great, as do CV joint style clamps (although you should install them with specific clamping pliers). CV clamps look totally factory.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #38

Quote:
They should sell stainless clamps in the plumbing section. If not, try Lowes.

T-bolt clamps look great, as do CV joint style clamps (although you should install them with specific clamping pliers). CV clamps look totally factory.
Thank you for the great tips, WG! The CV clamps are more "permanent," although I am sure they are easily removed with the proper tools.

The hose clamps worked very well for trimming, and experimenting with the fit and appearance of the Acerbis, lower fork protectors. I will run the bike with the hose clamps for several months, just to see if I encounter any problems. After I am positive the fit, and the function are good, I might substitute T-bolt hose clamps, or CV joint clamps. I am definitely going to switch to polished, stainless steel clamps!

In my opinion, the Acerbis, lower fork protectors look much better than the stock, Zongshen, lower fork protectors. Also, the Acerbis fork guards are lighter, more durable, and more securely attached to the motorcycle.

I do feel better now that I know my forks, and fork seals are protected. I am very pleased with this modification. Now I need to get my spare shock absorber, with its stiffer coil spring, installed on the Zong!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #39

The weather was beautiful today, so I took a ride to the Malad Valley. Along the way I stopped to take some photographs while a hawk watched from the side of the road.

I am still seeking input regarding the final color for my Acerbis, lower fork protectors. Therefore, I present a few photographs showing the front of the Zong, with the hawk watching from his roadside perch. The first photo shows the current, silver fork guards.

Here is a retouched photo approximating the appearance of black fork protectors.

Here is a retouched photo approximating the appearance of KTM Orange fork protectors.

I rode a trail to a mountain pass overlooking the Malad Valley. This photo shows a side view of the current, silver fork guards.

Here is a retouched photo approximating the appearance of black fork protectors.

Here is a retouched photo approximating the appearance of KTM Orange fork protectors.

As always, I appreciate your constructive input.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #40

It's funny, but when you had the orange ones on I voted for black to go with the tank. Now that I see it with the silver though I actually like the silver better... Goes nicely with the forks . I would like to recast my vote to silver.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
It's funny, but when you had the orange ones on I voted for black to go with the tank. Now that I see it with the silver though I actually like the silver better... Goes nicely with the forks . I would like to recast my vote to silver.
Thank you for your input, Stew. The silver fork guards would require zero maintenance, since the color is molded into the plastic. However, I am sure fork guards painted black with Krylon Fusion would also be very durable.

I got a great deal on these Acerbis, lower fork protectors, so I bought a spare set. Therefore, I could easily mount the spares while I repainted the first set of fork guards.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #42

I went with the orange originally, but the silver does blend in nicely.

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose to finally stay with.

You have some great places to ride. It looks like there's not a soul around to worry about crashing into you. I'm a bit jealous. I need to get out of the hustle of suburban city life into a quieter life I think.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
I went with the orange originally, but the silver does blend in nicely.

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose to finally stay with...
Thank you for your input, Turbo. I agree; I think I can't go wrong with any of the color choices.

To keep color maintenance to a minimum, I should probably choose either silver, or black. The silver fork guards have the color molded in, so they are essentially maintenance free. I also have a good color match to the Clarke fuel tank with Krylon Fusion, Ultra-flat, black camouflage paint. The Krylon Fusion paint is very durable, so I would have very little maintenance to perform if I chose black.

I don't have a good color match available to KTM Orange in Krylon Fusion paint. Therefore, I would need to spray a Krylon Fusion primer, with an additional coat of Valspar gloss orange. I frequently travel through the sagebrush, so the fork guards can take a beating. Therefore, I am leaning toward choosing either silver, or black.

I have received only one negative comment regarding the color choices; someone on another forum said the silver looks "funny." I was not offended. Everyone has different tastes regarding color, and I appreciate receiving input.

I could also buy another set of KTM, lower fork protectors with the orange color molded in. However, I bought the silver, Acerbis, lower fork protectors for $8.50/pair, and the orange fork guards would cost $32. 8O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
...You have some great places to ride. It looks like there's not a soul around to worry about crashing into you. I'm a bit jealous. I need to get out of the hustle of suburban city life into a quieter life I think.
Once again, thank you for the kind words. Indeed, riding my Zong has caused to to fall in love with Idaho's beautiful mountains. I enjoyed living in suburban Portland for nine years, but Idaho is an outdoorsman's paradise.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #44

I have decided to narrow the color choice to two options: black, or silver. Also, since the final shape of my lower fork protectors has changed so much from the original shape, I decided to erase the first poll, and start a new one.

If you don't mind, please vote once again. Which color should I choose?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #45

The poll wont let me vote, but I definitely like the silver the best, evens the fork with the swingarm... Plus, as you mentioned, the fork guards are on the front line with the sagebrush and branches so you wouldn't have to repaint them a couple of times a year . Again, remarkable how your Zong seems at home in any surrounding. The ultimate adventure bike! 8)