Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #31

Gardo,
Nice looking bike but that little tiny seat is gotta be a ball buster if you ride any distance.
Looks like you copied the Dong Fang muffler but in chrome.

They won't let you in Americade with that loud muffler.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #32

The elite taillight is really low. I bought some extra flashing break lights to mount up high.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
I wouldn't move the tail light. It needs to be as conspicuous as possible. Those guys who mount it down low off to one side as increasing their chances of getting rear ended.

Motorcycle riders need all the help they can get.
Agreed.

I'd use something interesting, like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Motorcycle-tail-l...item230e53b7fb

It looks like an early Ford light. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Gardo,
Nice looking bike but that little tiny seat is gotta be a ball buster if you ride any distance.
Looks like you copied the Dong Fang muffler but in chrome.

They won't let you in Americade with that loud muffler.
Thanks Barnone, the seat is actually padded pretty nice, the pictures do it no justice. Its a speed stitched red leather snake skin that is almost the color of red clay or dragons blood. Will see if my buddy can take some proper pics of her.
The 2 things I loved about the DF250 was the way the pipe looked and the gas tank, I so loved that gas tank. I dig how the DF250 looks.

that pipe is no louder than my brother's Street Bob just meaner :twisted:

Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
I wouldn't move the tail light. It needs to be as conspicuous as possible. Those guys who mount it down low off to one side as increasing their chances of getting rear ended.

Motorcycle riders need all the help they can get.
Agreed.

I'd use something interesting, like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Motorcycle-tail-l...item230e53b7fb

It looks like an early Ford light. 8)
Thats the one I bought and will be fabricating a vertical side mount Plate and light holder. Also will chop down the rear fender some with a convex curve

Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardo
Its a speed stitched red leather snake skin that is almost the color of red clay or dragons blood.
Dragon's blood? That's the most manly colour description I've ever heard.

We can't use vertical plates here (legally anyway). Your bike happens to look really good with the light on top of the fender. Do you plan to chop it back more than the top of the tire?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #37

In some states you can order vertical numbered license plate for the people that want to run a vertical license plate.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #38

Went out this past weekend and did 70 miles on the bike, took her out for a quick 20 mile spin.
Bike feels great and the ride is nice had her on the highway for a bit kept her at a moderate 60 mph. Taking off on Friday so I can go riding all day with te kid in school and the wife at work I can get lost for a few hours.

hopefully i can get the camera mount figured out and get some ride video online.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #39

I bought a camera mount meant for 7/8" bars for stupid cheap on eBay. I think it was around $5.00 including shipping from China.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardo
Went out this past weekend and did 70 miles on the bike, took her out for a quick 20 mile spin.
Bike feels great and the ride is nice had her on the highway for a bit kept her at a moderate 60 mph. Taking off on Friday so I can go riding all day with te kid in school and the wife at work I can get lost for a few hours.

hopefully i can get the camera mount figured out and get some ride video online.
Ain't life grand?

Looking forward to the pics.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I bought a camera mount meant for 7/8" bars for stupid cheap on eBay. I think it was around $5.00 including shipping from China.
I have 3 of them and they are supposed to fit 7/8 bars but 2 slip will need a rubber stopper so it'll grab and hold

Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #42

New Videos up

Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #43

heist

gardo what are the main differences in the 2 since you have had them both . the dong fang is $1100 cheaper than the heist is it that much lower grade?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #44

Re: heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10
gardo what are the main differences in the 2 since you have had them both . the dong fang is $1100 cheaper than the heist is it that much lower grade?
The big differences is support,and parts. Also that the heist was legal for me to register and get tagged. There seems to be some grey areas with the DF and that they have lost their registration with the NHTSA back in 2004. I couldnt get any support from the folks i bought the Df from no parts available, couldn't get anyone on the phone. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

So if you are looking to buy a DF make sure that you can get it tagged in your state. Some are worse than others. And make sure that you can handle all issues that may come up on your own.

With my heist from date of purchase to getting the tags was 7 days. with the DF the process took a month and I couldn't reg the bike, so it had to go back and it took another 2 weeks to fight to get my money back.

now as far as ride quality, I found the Heist stock to be better than the stock DF, Barnone did a number of mods and has his DF and its running smooth. After rejetting the carbs and regearing you can get to the ride quality of the stock heist.

I liked the DF it was a bit more gritty and old school Rat look. the Heist has cleaner welds and is a prettier bike. looks more complete.

the noticable differences is
The DF has a slightly larger frame
a rubber slip on wide wire seat
plastic mock oil tank that houses the electronics that the crankcase breathes into
a digi/analog speedo that is set for miles

That extra 1100 pays for the fact that there is quality control on these bikes.You get real support here in the States. and did I mention legal in all 50 states.

PIT Motors LTD does a pre PDI it before it even goes to the dealer which includes a valve, paint and wheel check before it leaves NJ.
Hell i was there when they replaced a tank because of a scratch on it.

I have made a number of cosmetic changes on my heist all relatively inexpensive

Now last friday I did 200mls on my Bike and will be taking it to Americade as well. that will be a 5 hr ride on my Heist. and i am completely confident in my ride.

again I'm a bit bias and love the Heist. Its a quality product and I also know that they will be around next year

Old 04-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #45

How many miles have you put on Tha Heist so far, Gardo?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894