Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #31

You can climb this hill brother...watch the videos...get your mind right...open up a big can of patience and go slow. Like LZ said....we are looking forward to a review and some ride reports.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
You can climb this hill brother...watch the videos...get your mind right...open up a big can of patience and go slow. Like LZ said....we are looking forward to a review and some ride reports.
I hear ya, and I appreciate the support. I have not had any luck selling the bike. I figured I'd post it and would get a few nibbles from Craigslist. I was able to sell my Hawk/Bashan from an online ad. Not one single email; and I'm not counting the one from a Nigerian prince who wanted to send me a check to arrange shipment of my "item".

I still need to remove the tire from the rim and need to spend $45 on new tire spoons and legit rim protectors. I returned the tire irons I got from HF because they were not the "spoon" type. I only got those because I was desperate. I'm at a weird place with the bike.

On one hand, I'm very pissed that I've had it since February and can't ride it because of a damn "oval" wheel. I'm also pissed at myself for not acting on this sooner and sending it in for a warranty item, which has now expired so I'm on my own. So, from this perspective, I want to do whatever I need to in order to actually use the bike, which I might be stuck with due to not being able to sell it.

On the other hand, I don't want to really sink any money into it, even if it is just $45 for new tire spoons. The thought of spending any money on this bike annoys me. I spent money that I did to buy the damn thing, and can't even use it. So, spending $45 on the new spoons isn't appealing because it could be just a waste of more money on a rim that might very well never be true.

I found new 17" rims on Ebay from China. But, there are three issues with them. One, since they are also from China, they will be of the same poor quality as the rim on my bike. Two, there is no guarantee they will be straight and true. Three, even though they are also 36 spoke rims, there is not guarantee they will work with this hub.

So, I'm stuck at the moment.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #33

If you are not getting buyers, the best thing you can do, cooldown. Don't do anything with the bike, ride the honda. After the cooldown, think about what are you going to do with it. Sell it, change rim size, etc.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
If you are not getting buyers, the best thing you can do, cooldown. Don't do anything with the bike, ride the honda. After the cooldown, think about what are you going to do with it. Sell it, change rim size, etc.
That's exactly what I've been doing. I've tucked the DB36 in the corner of my garage and tried not to think about it. I've just been enjoying the Honda. Yesterday, I went on a 3 hour ride with it! It was nice to get out and ride.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #35

It's possible the 2 sides where the rim was welded were not aligned properly so you might not be able to get it perfectly straight. Best bet if you are paying anyone is lace up a new rim. Truing wheels is something I've done, but I have a buddy who's a lot better at it than me. He can do it in 30 minutes but it takes me 1/2 day.
09 KTM 450 XC-F SM racer
75 CB400F Vintage rider

Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #36

I like doing things myself, but sometimes the hassle and stress are just not worth the savings. I think $120 to get this figured out and enjoy the bike would be money well spent.

Glad you found a good shop willing to work with you. As a last resort I would have recommended finding a good mountain bike shop and see what they can do if you bring them the wheel and a stand. The concept is the same, and these guys are truing 27.5 and 29 inch wheels which takes skill. I learned to adjust spokes/true on mtb wheels... well enough at least.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 PM   #37

Setting it aside, riding the Honda and letting some time slide by is all part of getting your mind right. You'll get to your own conclusion ...just don't get yourself in a hurry. Honestly in the long run the tire tools are a great tool to have regardless your make of bike and will be there if needed for years to come.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski_rush View Post
I hear ya, and I appreciate the support. I have not had any luck selling the bike. I figured I'd post it and would get a few nibbles from Craigslist. I was able to sell my Hawk/Bashan from an online ad. Not one single email; and I'm not counting the one from a Nigerian prince who wanted to send me a check to arrange shipment of my "item".

I still need to remove the tire from the rim and need to spend $45 on new tire spoons and legit rim protectors. I returned the tire irons I got from HF because they were not the "spoon" type. I only got those because I was desperate. I'm at a weird place with the bike.

On one hand, I'm very pissed that I've had it since February and can't ride it because of a damn "oval" wheel. I'm also pissed at myself for not acting on this sooner and sending it in for a warranty item, which has now expired so I'm on my own. So, from this perspective, I want to do whatever I need to in order to actually use the bike, which I might be stuck with due to not being able to sell it.

On the other hand, I don't want to really sink any money into it, even if it is just $45 for new tire spoons. The thought of spending any money on this bike annoys me. I spent money that I did to buy the damn thing, and can't even use it. So, spending $45 on the new spoons isn't appealing because it could be just a waste of more money on a rim that might very well never be true.

I found new 17" rims on Ebay from China. But, there are three issues with them. One, since they are also from China, they will be of the same poor quality as the rim on my bike. Two, there is no guarantee they will be straight and true. Three, even though they are also 36 spoke rims, there is not guarantee they will work with this hub.

Well, now you know why to stay away from oddball sized rims. 18 inch rims are available just about everywhere. You can find very good Japanese aluminum 36 hole rims on e-bay. Then buy the spokes that fit. If you have a 17 inch rim now, the 18's will need to be 1/2 inch longer. Don't file down any spokes until you KNOW you've got the wheel built accurate. It may help to think about your wheel as built in 12 sets of 3 spoke groups. When I used to do this, I made a wooden jig to set up the wheel and locate the hub and take care of the off-set, if any. I"ll go into this a little farther tomorrow........ARH
So. When I started doing this for myself, I cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood slightly proud of 18 inch square. Then I rasped, filed and sanded until the four sides of the plywood just touched the outer edges of the wheel rim. Now mark the center of each place where the rim is just touching the outer edges of the plywood. Now remove the wheel and run the lines in a "plus' sign or crossing one another. Where the lines cross is where the wheel center is. The axle will go there, eventually.
But for now I make an axle pattern out of easily obtained red oak. Next, taking the wheel off-set measurements from the old wheel, accuratly "pack out" the rim to get the correct off-set, IF ANY. Remember that the hub is always wider than the rim, which explains why the rim must be always "packed out". The rim "saddle" that is. Where the spokes go. I guess that's all I have to say, except this thechnique is the easiest I've ever found to keep the whole thing in relationship while lacing up a wheel. I fervently hope this helps someone in his/her endeavors to stay away from $100.00/hour shop rates.

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 06-04-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski_rush View Post

and if you remember i was the only one that told you not to buy a china bike. they are not for everybody.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 AM   #40

If you don't want to spend more money on it then sell it if you can, but be prepared to take a huge loss on it. Otherwise, spend a bit more, make it better than it was, and ride it until it returns to the earth.

It's a shit position to be in, believe me I know. My VFR essentially doesn't have 6th gear, and if I buy a good used engine assembly for 1200 bucks, spend MANY hours of my time fixing it myself and still several hundred dollars, or a couple thousand having a Honda dealer fix it, I am out all of that money and/or time for a bike I literally paid several thousand for already. That negative part of my brain wants to just sell the stupid thing and move on, but I wont. Fixing it wont make it worth more than it already was before, but it makes it worth more than it would be if I left it broken and then I will at least have a bike I love to ride again.

Buy the new rims. If they are warped or not to your satisfaction return them.

Buy the tire spoons. Good tools are never a waste of money. Ever. They will pay for themselves the first time you use them, and save you money every time after that.

Or, sell the bike, and maybe get 500 bucks for it IF you can find a buyer willing to buy what is essentially a broken chinese motorcycle that can't be ridden.

Lose a couple hundred bucks, or a thousand bucks. What sounds better?

I am not trying to be a dick, but this is part of owning and riding bikes as a whole. The same thing can happen to that Honda of yours. One big failure and it becomes a worthless brick, and then you either have to spend a bunch to make it right, or eat the loss. Buying a cheap chinese bike is a lot more like buying a used bike. The parts might all be new, but they aren't great either. You should see the warp in my Hawks front rim. It took me 5 hours to get it remotely ok. I eventually will get new rims too, even though I would rather not if I didn't have to, entirely because I don't trust that front wheel to hold up to a hard hit.

If you are truly done and wanting to sell it then I might make you an offer for it, but I doubt it would be one you would be happy with.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

If you are truly done and wanting to sell it then I might make you an offer for it, but I doubt it would be one you would be happy with.
I'll buy it for $10 more than Dans offer
09 KTM 450 XC-F SM racer
75 CB400F Vintage rider