Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Very funny.
I am the largest supplier, and manufacturer of Suzuki (car) performance parts in N.America, and the largest manufacturer of 3cyl Suzuki (Metro) performance parts in the world.
I have owned, and raced 3, and 4 cyl Suzuki cars for years.
My 3 cyl rally car ran 10%, 25%, 50%, and 100% ethanol without a single issue, as did my 3 cyl land speed race car, with turbo, and ethanol injection, not to mention my street cars.
I suggest you have another problem NOT ethanol related.
A wee off topic but I had no idea they made 3 cyl Suzuki performance parts! I've rebuilt so many of those motors I can disassemble and re-assemble them with my eyes closed. Oh the good old days.

As for the ethanol discussion, it's been around for a long time and I've never heard of any problems associated with it. I'm sure if it was proven a problem some lawyer happy guy would've sued Mohawk in Canada, class action style by now. I'm sure you'd be fine to run it in your bike, these motors don't look too 'high tech' to me.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I've moved this to misc since it doesn't specifically apply to dual sports...

I haven't even seen an ethanol blend available in my area, I did however see it on my trip to Saskatchewan. The bike seems to run fine on regular gas. I'm not very educated on the subject of fuel / alternative fuels though.
Mohawk has been "up to"8-10% eth . for a long time(15- 20 years)
NOTE-Apparentley 5% water is acceptable here as well...???
Oh ok, I will just admit here I don't know know much about various fuels and just put whatever is in the pump, into the tank.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #33

The 10% ethanol was sold for about 30 yrs at a gas station in Sedro Wooley Washington and I always bought it as it was a handy place for me to fuel up. After I had been going there for years I went to a local chainsaw shop and the owner there tried to convince me and all his other customers that it destroyed saw motors.
His reasoning was 2 stroke oil could not mix with the ethanol, well I had been using it for years and was not so easy to convince that it caused any problems, The bottom line is I ran hundreds of gallons through my 2100 Husky chain saw and never had any seizures.
Another rumor was that the gas stations like the ethanol blend as they could water it down because the ethanol would absorb water. I don't know if there is any truth to that rumor.
My cars and trucks ran fine on 10% etanol and when I had my 67 Mustang with a 289 with 12 and a 1/2 to 1 pistons it was one of the best fuels for it, other than Union 76's premium leaded gas (ah the good old days).
So my point is that it's more about personal choice than anything else, thats my humble opinion on the subject.
One other point I will add is cheap brand gas is quite often old fuel refined in a major brands refinery that did not sale so they discount the price and sell it to other distributors. I learned about that when I was a welder doing maintenance in the refinery's. When I have fuel injection I run supreme name brand gas, supreme has more cleaners added to the gas.
Boy lots of typing, but mostly opinion though!
And your experiences might differ for any number of reasons.
Oh and do not buy gas when there is a tanker filling the stations gas tanks as it sirs up all the water and dirt that is in the tanks!
Good luck,
ride and have fun!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #34

In the midwest they have been selling 10% ethanol for years. I run it on old vehicles, new vehicles, lawn mowers, chainsaws, weedeaters, generators, etc, etc. I'm sure on your china bike you could prove a difference on a dyno or the 1/4 mile, but the difference is so slight you could never feel it at the seat of your pants. The only time you might notice a change in the vehicle is if it's always ran on 100% petro then you switched to 10% ethanol. The only thing you would come across is that it would very slowly clean out the tank and lines and you maybe would have to clean the fuel filters a little more often until the old varnishes have been cleaned as much as 10% alcohol will clean. Like I said it's been used for years in the midwest and hundreds of carb run motors like weedeaters, lawn mowers, dirtbikes, etc have done just fine. While not a 100% sure, I would be willing to bet that your chinabike will run fine and shouldn't have any long term issues.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #35

Almost universally 0 ethanol here (Canada east), but when I get out, to say, Upper Canada, I have tried the 10% in my trusty Subaru. It didn't care, but it sure seemed to go through it quick, meaning: my mileage went in the crapper. At least the 10% (if not a bit more).

Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #36

i will say one thing . the discussion also included 2 stroke chain saws . STABIL has come out with an ethenol treatment for 2 stroke engines so they will run on ethenol . it is mainly a marine application but it says it can be used in any 2 stroke engine . 1 of the main things it does is it prevents corrosion from ethenol induced water attraction

Old 06-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #37

The main thing it does, is help separate you from your money.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #38

I usually buy the cheapest gasoline I can find. I have used 10% ethanol in my automobile as well as my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle. Personally, I have never noticed any problems resulting from the use of ethanol.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #39

Like mentioned by another poster too. We have had ethanol in the midwest for at least the past fifteen years. I used all the time since it was usually cheaper than regular. This one in all vehicles including lawnmowers/chainsaws/trimmers/snowmobiles/atvs everything.

In MN all fuels need to contain a certain amount of ethanol or biodiesel now according to state law.

Allen

Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #40

I think there are 2 separate issues here. Fuel quality and ethanol.

I spoke to a gent at a local garage recently and we specifically talked fuel quality. When he graduated from high school (mid-70's) he went to work for the garage at which he is still employed some 30 years later. He spent his first 6 months doing nothing but cleaning carb's. Fuel quality was bad then, but has improved substantially since. Most of the fuel provided around here is from a local refinery that has received several awards for quality. I see a noticeable difference in my Explorer when running Irving fuel vs Esso (Exxon). Also, if I slack and don't change out my gas in the bikes for the winter I don't have any fuel problems come Spring.

I'm not saying ethanol helps/hinders. I just think that you can get bad gas regardless if it does/does not contain ethanol.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #41

I do know what runs REALLY clean. Leaded gas. look at the exhaust on a car that only gets leaded gas, and you will know what I am talking about.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #42

You guys are lucky. You have so many choices. I only have 3 choices of gas where I live. 1. Expensive 2. More Expensive. and 3. Even More Expensive.
And according to the stickers on the pumps, it all contains 10% ethanol.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
You guys are lucky. You have so many choices. I only have 3 choices of gas where I live. 1. Expensive 2. More Expensive. and 3. Even More Expensive.
Do you live in The People's Republic of Kalifornia?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Spud
Nope. Texas. Luckily it not as bad as Kalifornia yet

Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Spud
Nope. Texas. Luckily it not as bad as Kalifornia yet
My goodness, Cal! Don't they drill for oil in Texas? 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220