Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #31

Just finished putting two Hawks together this week, I also had to swap the front blinkers on the first one. (Seems to work better when front and rear blink together on same side) . Did the locktite, had to adjust chain mine were both real tight. I only got 170ml out of all the forks, so that is how much Merc/Dextron I put back in, does seem smooth on a nice road but a little soft for the trail, think I'll add 20ml more to start. Haven't changed the sprockets yet, most our riding is easy trails, is the 15/ 45 (?) or 17/45 still ok for the trail with some single track?
Also surprised they came with DOT tires and black rims, that was nice. I live at 7000' so the carb being lean is very close, just a little tweaking should be all it needs. All in all so far so good!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #32

Also changed the oil before first start, put in Rotella 15/40 thought I'd go 75 miles before first oil change. Have 40 miles now on both. Wife is enjoying her new bike, so that makes it fun. Oh did find one spoke on each bike loose, will check them all again soon. Also if I do upgrade sprockets do i look for Honda XR 185 parts if so what years?

Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo01 View Post
Just finished putting two Hawks together this week, I also had to swap the front blinkers on the first one. (Seems to work better when front and rear blink together on same side) . Did the locktite, had to adjust chain mine were both real tight. I only got 170ml out of all the forks, so that is how much Merc/Dextron I put back in, does seem smooth on a nice road but a little soft for the trail, think I'll add 20ml more to start. Haven't changed the sprockets yet, most our riding is easy trails, is the 15/ 45 (?) or 17/45 still ok for the trail with some single track?
Also surprised they came with DOT tires and black rims, that was nice. I live at 7000' so the carb being lean is very close, just a little tweaking should be all it needs. All in all so far so good!
Hawks should have 200 cc of oil in them. The amount of oil in the forks affects the springing. More oil increases air pressure as the forks retract, and this affects felt spring pressure....ARH

Old 04-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Hawks should have 200 cc of oil in them. The amount of oil in the forks affects the springing. More oil increases air pressure as the forks retract, and this affects felt spring pressure....ARH
Thanks, ARH. I was hoping you'd chime in again. I'll take the caps off and add another 20CCs to each one.

I bought an MSR shifter for a DRZ400 last week, but the DRZ400 shifters are for 13MM splined shaft, and ours are 11MM. Just a heads up, because if you search on here long enough, a few posts mentioned that it worked. It does NOT!!!

Today, I got in what was supposed to be the correct MSR shifter, but they sent an IMS Flightline instead. Oh well, I got a good deal on it, considering what they usually charge for an IMS. At least it's the right one this time!

I also have a few spokes that don't "ping", and a front wheel with 1/8" of side runout so that's on the list, too.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #35

Theres no magic fix for a soft front end... new springs...
If you don't want to buy springs the next best is to
add more pre-load to the springs you have...longer spacers
between the spring & top fork cap...
PVC pluming pipe works fine , easy to find , easy to make,
easy to try diffrent lengths till you get near what you are after...

As for the size of the air cushon at the top of the fork.. changing to size of
it is a tuning tool not a setup tool... as it's effect is so small , it dose have a
greater effect on slower forks with less movement like in a road bike... but still
very small effect...
So it could be worth a try.... I keep forgetting a lot of you fella's buy duel sports
for mainly road use...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Thanks, ARH. I was hoping you'd chime in again. I'll take the caps off and add another 20CCs to each one.

I bought an MSR shifter for a DRZ400 last week, but the DRZ400 shifters are for 13MM splined shaft, and ours are 11MM. Just a heads up, because if you search on here long enough, a few posts mentioned that it worked. It does NOT!!!

Today, I got in what was supposed to be the correct MSR shifter, but they sent an IMS Flightline instead. Oh well, I got a good deal on it, considering what they usually charge for an IMS. At least it's the right one this time!

I also have a few spokes that don't "ping", and a front wheel with 1/8" of side runout so that's on the list, too.
A new bike with 1/8th inch runout? That's a lot. I'd call the people you bought it from and ask them what they intend to do about it...ARH

Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #37

ARH, I thought so too! I added the extra 20CC of oil to the forks, and they're much better! I honestly think they didn't have enough oil to start with, let alone who knows what the viscosity of that swill was. I'm leaving them alone now.. I'm happy with them. Before, they seemed spongy and the rebound was too much.

If anyone tries the IMS flightline shifter, you're going to need a different bolt to tighten it up, because of clearance issues with the chain cover. I used an M6 cap screw, and that gave it the clearance I needed to even get the bolt into the shifter. I had a couple M6 x 1.0, run it down in the shifter, then ground off the excess thread length.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:56 AM   #38

Well, I'm embarrassed to tell this story, but here goes... I destroyed the front wheel today. I was in the yard, goosed the throttle through a mud puddle that was starting to dry (soft, yet sticky), the front end came up, feet slipped off the pegs (so at this point I'm at 1/2 throttle or better in 1st), somehow got it set back down and hit the rear brake 5 feet from the side of a 16' car trailer. the rim is now an S shape looking from the front, broke a turn signal, bent its bracket (now straight and painted), and bent 1/3 of the spokes.
The forks are a little out of alignment, but they'll straighten right out. The only damage to me is a sore left hip from where me and Thumper went down, and some damaged pride (and wallet). All I can say is the break-in on the motor is going well... it's already making more power.

I guess a replacement front wheel for the bad runout is out of the question now.. it has so much "runout" that it hits the forks now.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #39

I forgot to mention that the new shifter did its job.. no damage to it or the shift shaft.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #40

New rim and hub $200 Ouch! http://www.therps.net/DB-Hawk.html I think that hurts more than the actual accident. You have to pay attention. We told you to break in the motor not break the bike. lol If you do some research you may be able to buy a rim and spokes and relace them.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #41

Yeah, rps has them at $200, the dealers show them at $75. I'm not sure what's up with that. I swear, I wasn't into the throttle much, so it took me by surprise.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #42

I must say I'm surprised too. You would think it would have held up better. It was basically an unplanned wheelie right? or am I missing something?

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme View Post
I must say I'm surprised too. You would think it would have held up better. It was basically an unplanned wheelie right? or am I missing something?
Yes, very much unplanned, in 1st gear, and the hit was at somewhere around 5 mph. No harder than I hit, I was fine and I thought the bike was too, until I stood it up.

I'm also wondering if the wheel being bad to begin with didn't have a little to do with the damage. It already had a good bit of runout out of the box (1/8"-3/16"). The place I got it has no front wheels at this time, so I'm on the hunt.

Last edited by JeremyC; 04-24-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #44

The rubber inserts have now been removed from the footpegs. I think that's why my feet slipped off.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #45

Huh.. I went out to where the "incident" happened, and there are 2 skid marks in the grass... 1 from the rear wheel where I was standing on the brakes, 1 where the front tire was locked. Problem is, I didn't have the front brakes applied at all! That out of whack front wheel folded up, then locked against the inside of the forks! I've been calling and emailing everywhere, and no front wheels until May 15th. Don at APSC is trying to help me find one that'll fit until then. I'm gonna press this issue as a warranty claim with txps. I had just emailed them the night before this happened to get the ball rolling.
If nothing else, I'll have a spare.