Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Thumbs Down hawk runs rough. Help!

i tried installing the 30mm Mikuni (copy). I installed the 115/30 jets. I changed every position on the needle valve. I adjusted the float. at 1/4 throttle and beyond their is this sputtering, hesitation. I checked the spark plug....black and full of soot. I must have reinstalled the carb 15 times. I finally gave up..I put the original carb back on. Installed a new spark plug. Now after all that the engine at 1/4 throttle and beyond responds the same way. still sputtering. Any thoughts? 30 miles on the bike

Old 03-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

Make sure your choke is operating properly. Make sure it is fully open to allow in as much air as possible. What kind of adjustments have you made with the air/fuel screw?

/

Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

I have reinstalled the original carburator. the engine sputters at 1/4 throttle and beyond. same as when mikuni was installed. The engine ran fine before the attempted upgrade

Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

what about the rubber boot to the head? the bolt aren't loose on it are they?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

boots are tight, ignition issue?

Old 04-01-2016, 02:47 AM   #6

Bad NGK plug

The misfire troubles have been rectified! Looks like the NGK failed. I put back the Torch plug and it ran fine. Now I have a new NGK plug in and we are riding again. I will try my carb upgrade later on..

Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

Same problem on my Black Hawk

Went through the same stuff you did until I found this.

Split intake gasket (o-ring). Couldn't find the missing section. Got a close replacement at the auto parts store. Runs great with Mikuni PZ30 replacement with 115 main 30 pilot. Black Hawk now stands on it's tail with throttle only. Blue hawk is jealous.
~ E. Roosevelt
So let's start a reality TV show about science, discussing
global warming, staring Justin Bieber.
NOT!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

Head Scratching

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwalker View Post

Split intake gasket (o-ring). Couldn't find the missing section. Got a close replacement at the auto parts store. Runs great with Mikuni PZ30 replacement with 115 main 30 pilot. Black Hawk now stands on it's tail with throttle only. Blue hawk is jealous.
Thanks for info WM. You have motivated me to try again. Do you have a part number for that o ring?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwalker View Post

Thanks for letting us know about this manufacturing defect. I suggest every Hawk owner should examine the carburetor intake manifold for this problem. If the O-ring is not intact, you will draw dust into the cylinder, which will eventually damage the intake valve and its valve seat.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #10

did you adjust the mixture to 1 and a half turns out?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

I did set the mixture. I am stumped on what it could be. Maybe their is a problem with the carb. I'm thinking the mikuni was running too rich to cause the soot on the spark plug. Maybe the jets are wrong that I ordered. Hey, maybe someone could sell me a working carb...lol. Thanks Ron, keep digging

Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79elco View Post
I did set the mixture. I am stumped on what it could be. Maybe their is a problem with the carb. I'm thinking the mikuni was running too rich to cause the soot on the spark plug. Maybe the jets are wrong that I ordered. Hey, maybe someone could sell me a working carb...lol. Thanks Ron, keep digging
I have one. $500 and it's yours!

Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #13

OUCH. I feel as if I have been kicked in the stomach

Old 04-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #14

Thumbs Up 30mm mikuni installed!

I ordered a second carb for the green bike. Installed today. Followed usual recommendations: Jets 115/30. Mixture screw turned out 1 1/2 turns. Needle set 3 notch from the top. Black bike will get carb installed tonight. My 2 sons bought Hawks. One of those bikes registered, no problem...out the door with a plate. I hate it for Ron B. Now looking for an air filter replacement

Old 05-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #15

dunno bout the mountain elevation , but we running two hawks w 16/45 and seems to me (ymmv) about optimal at around1k elevation, start right up with a touch of choke depending on temp, run strong, 5th pulls fine. our median main road speed is a tad over 60, secondary road easy 45- 55. one bike's chain turned to silly string at about 650 km. the other, (mine is holding up like a champ. (the walmart dupont chain spray before any substantial travel returning its usual benefits.) most riding is a 20-30 minute secondary road sprint then some hours of trail grinding at low speed.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking