Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #46

It could be a pump of sorts, though I had one on my Ascot VT500 and fuel would not flow to the carb unless there was a vacuum, either cranking the engine or with the engine running. It had me stumped at first because I had never seen one. I think there might have been one position where the fuel ran regardless, maybe reserve. But I do remember pulling the fuel line with the handle set to on and not getting any gas flow till I sucked on the vacuum line. I figured it's job was to shut the gas off when the engine wasn't running in case of a stuck float or an accident.

The vacuum lines should be the two lines running to the old petcock, because you have a line running from the tank to the new petcock and then to the carb right? I would disconnect and cap both of the vacuum lines that are connected to the old valve as the valve serves no purpose since the previous owner bypassed it. These engines don't draw a lot of vacuum and cant afford to lose any. This in itself might be enough to get it to run, otherwise I still suspect you have to remove the carb and totally clean it, all jets and passages must be clean. Looks like a bit of jury rigging has been done by the previous owner... That can open a whole other can of worms but we will hope it is all ok.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Something wasn't making sense so I double checked the 90 for spark and there's NO SPARK. I'm not sure if I confused the two bikes before or what, but I'm not getting a spark. I tried the test where you stick the light tester in the plug wire too. I got no light, but I could be doing it wrong.
Does it sound like I need a new plug wire? Or could it be something more serious?
I'm usung a brand new NGK plug, so that's not the problem.
That's the one with no ignition key right? So you are jumping the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver to turn it over, but the ignition circuit will still be set to off so it wont have any spark. Easiest fix there would be to replace the ignition switch, and then make sure the tether is in and the brake is on and that the kill switch is off and then try it again. I believe the ignition switch grounds the CDI kill pin to stop the engine, so with no key in the ignition, it is always grounded out and won't have any spark.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #48

Correct that's the one.
The people I bought it from claim that they ran it like that. Is that even possile??
Will I be able to install a new ingnition when he's messed with the wires?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Correct that's the one.
The people I bought it from claim that they ran it like that. Is that even possile??
Will I be able to install a new ingnition when he's messed with the wires?
It is possible, did he put in a toggle switch or something? Or was he just twisting the wires together to kill it?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #50

I fully admit though, I know very little about electrical. Other members will probably be much more helpful with that .

Old 01-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #51

No toggle switch that I've seen.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #52

Wonder how they were making it work? Maybe just leaving the circuit open and using the kill switch to shut it off? Again, sorry I can't be of more help on this one but I haven't had anything to do with the switches. Simplest fix would be to replace it and see what you have after that. I have no idea what they cost though?

Old 01-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #53

Since most of these electrical systems on these china quads are pretty much the same, this schematic may be partial to your machine, it might help you to troubleshoot your wiring.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #54

Is there a kill switch on the right handlebar? They may have been using it for off and on.

I had a very difficult time with the electrical on the little 50. Turned out to be the rear tether switch was bad.

You don't need the keyswitch. A toggle could be used in its place if wired correctly.

How old are the kids? Will you be using the tether switch? Also are lights inportant. If not you can remove the excess to simplify the wiring. The little pit bikes only have a kill switch on them.

Allen

Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #55

My boys are 6 and 4 (and a 10 month old, but he'll need a couple months before he's ready to ride
I'll look for the kill switch on the handle bar, but I haven't noticed one. The one in back is in tight, but I suppose it could be bad.
Thanks for the diagram also. You guys are really top notch.
I think I'm going to buy a new 4 wheeler so the boys can start riding, then see if I can make something out of these. The 150 seems to be the one with potential, but I think it's a little to much machine for a 6 yr old.
What do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about a GIO but still looking around. The GIO prices are amazing, but it's $263 to ship it to me.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #56

Quote:
What do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about a GIO but still looking around. The GIO prices are amazing, but it's $263 to ship it to me.
As noted in a PM to you, you might want to check with GIO first, i'm 99.9% sure that they will only ship ATV's to addresses in canada due to the fact that they are not EPA approved so they will not make it across the border, i'd e-mail GIO to verify this so you don't get your hopes up.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #57

I only know the Gio's and their smallest ATV is the 110 Mini ATV and the 110 Mini-Beast. My son has the 110 Mini-Beast and we really like it, well put together, purr's like a kitten and looks sharp too. I think it was $400 and change shipped so it was a good price. The shipping has went up quite a bit since fall though.

That said though, I think a 110 is way too big for a 6 and a 4 year old. I have it governed back to less than halfway for my son and he just turned 9. Though he is still just learning to ride as I bought them really late in the fall. I will open it up more when he shows good reaction times .

I would look around at the 50cc atv's. I know they are out there and would be a good size to start on. Then possibly you could have your other ones running so they could trade up as needed. I think they would have a hoot on a 50cc and I'm guessing that you could pick one up fairly reasonable.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #58

Good call on Waynev's post, Gio wont ship to the US. I never noticed your location .

Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #59

I would recommend getting them 50/70cc machines. I had a 50 that would haul me around with plenty of power. They will be easier for a new rider to handle. Most are set up with throttle limiters.

Have you checked your local craigslist for "dealers". Lots of time you can get them locally in the crate. I would recommend setting it up yourself so you can check it over. We can online help with setup.

Keep the other two and spend time getting them going for move up bikes. They older one will grow into the 90 and then the 150. You can spend time tinkering on them while they ride the 50.

I checked the budgetatvs.com, but they didn't sell any 50cc.

Allen

Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #60

I don't know if anyone has ever ordered from here.

http://www.familygokarts.com/atvs