Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
That's what's happening here. Our "adopted daughter" (she adopted us) has been a straight A student her entire school career. Got accepted to a nursing school in SF last year. In class and clinicals, she kept her 3.8-4.0 gpa.....until Covid and virtual learning.
She struggled with her classes, there was zero one-on-one with the teachers, and got a D in Pharmacology last semester. The school canned her because she wasn't "up to their standards". She was devastated.
After multiple correspondents, they allowed her back in but she has to retake the entire semester. Yep....every class. Not just Pharmacology.

If anyone thinks that having your kids stare at a PC by themselves replaces actual, in-person learning by a trained instructor, they're kidding themselves.
I can relate to you 100%. I'm an "IT PROFESSIONAL" that works for a company that provides services to other companies
Which means that my tasks ranges from network layout schemes, Server deployment, VPN deployments and long list of task.
Due to the Covid outbreak i got an extra task, that is to help employees to work from their houses and is not easy for most of them.....
Some folks have a real hard to time adapting to home office and most of the time the employers will think that the employee is doing that on purpose to the point of firing employees with years and years working with them...

Old 09-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
I can relate to you 100%. I'm an "IT PROFESSIONAL" that works for a company that provides services to other companies
Which means that my tasks ranges from network layout schemes, Server deployment, VPN deployments and long list of task.
Due to the Covid outbreak i got an extra task, that is to help employees to work from their houses and is not easy for most of them.....
Some folks have a real hard to time adapting to home office and most of the time the employers will think that the employee is doing that on purpose to the point of firing employees with years and years working with them...
I'm the sole sys admin for our company. People working from home drives me to drink. Most of our employees are 50-60 and have very little tech abilities. Few still had dial up lol. So getting them all in line has been a task. Most have adapted but there were a few problem children, after a talk that if they didn't try to adapt they would be let go got them all to cooperate.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck9191 View Post
I'm the sole sys admin for our company. People working from home drives me to drink. Most of our employees are 50-60 and have very little tech abilities. Few still had dial up lol. So getting them all in line has been a task. Most have adapted but there were a few problem children, after a talk that if they didn't try to adapt they would be let go got them all to cooperate.
Mrs. 2LZ has been struggling but seems to be overcoming the "at home" office. So far she's made the cut. Only contacts IT once every couple weeks at this point.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #49

I dont miss commuting. That is the best part about working from home.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #50

No comment that can be censored is worth making, so just grab your musket and extra balls and powder, and head for higher ground. 🤠
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 09-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #51

and keep your powder dry!

Old 09-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #52

On a lighter note..

A duded-up city rider walks into a seedy tavern in Sturgis , SD. He sits
at the bar and notices a grizzled old biker with his arms folded,
staring
blankly at a full bowl of chili.

After fifteen minutes of just sitting there staring at it, the newbie
rider bravely asks the old biker, 'If you aren't going to eat that, mind
if I do?'

The old veteran of a thousand rides slowly turns his head toward the
young
pup and says, 'Nah, you go ahead.'

Eagerly, the guy wearing the shiny new leather fashions reaches over and
slides the bowl into his place and starts spooning it in with delight.
He
gets nearly down to the bottom of the bowl and notices a dead mouse in
the
chili. The sight was very shocking and he immediately barfed up the
chili
back into the bowl.

The old biker quietly says, 'Yep, that's as far as I got, too.'

Old 09-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #53

Quote:
What? I can't believe there are people that still have dial-up service!

I can understand having issues with adapting to a different work environment, but still have dialup? Sheesh.. Were these people still using a rotary phone?

As for people in my office switching to a WFH environment, other than the initial VPN setup, I don't think anyone had any issues...

I will say this, about working from home. I 1st started doing it around 20 years ago.. the 1st couple year was the worst, and it's still annoying at times. What I mean is that when working from home, I don't do squat other than work or stare at my monitor.

When I'm in the office, I've got people stopping by, end up talking with others at the water cooler and what not. At least once a week, some dept is having a social gathering with food for whatever reason. When home, even if I have everything done, I don't leave my PC other than for coffee and bathroom breaks. I think I get about 3x as much done from home than I do when in the office.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
What? I can't believe there are people that still have dial-up service!

I can understand having issues with adapting to a different work environment, but still have dialup? Sheesh.. Were these people still using a rotary phone?

As for people in my office switching to a WFH environment, other than the initial VPN setup, I don't think anyone had any issues...

I will say this, about working from home. I 1st started doing it around 20 years ago.. the 1st couple year was the worst, and it's still annoying at times. What I mean is that when working from home, I don't do squat other than work or stare at my monitor.

When I'm in the office, I've got people stopping by, end up talking with others at the water cooler and what not. At least once a week, some dept is having a social gathering with food for whatever reason. When home, even if I have everything done, I don't leave my PC other than for coffee and bathroom breaks. I think I get about 3x as much done from home than I do when in the office.
They live in the sticks. It was set up on their windows xp machine lol. They have a vzw Hotspot but only 2gb a month and 40hrs a week of rdp will blow through that. They tried the "you need to find us internet" crap and I wasn't having it, not my problem to solve their home problems. They ended up with some ptmpt wifi provider that works OK.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #55

Mad

Quote:
They live in the sticks. It was set up on their windows xp machine lol. They have a vzw Hotspot but only 2gb a month and 40hrs a week of rdp will blow through that. They tried the "you need to find us internet" crap and I wasn't having it, not my problem to solve their home problems. They ended up with some ptmpt wifi provider that works OK.
I live out in the sticks. I have dsl. .9 mbs is a good day. You read that right. Point 9. Not my problem either. If worked for you, you would have to wait a very long time for me to complete something. That is the best I can afford. Quit dumping on folks for their service. You didn't hire them to work from home. So it really is YOUR problem.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
I live out in the sticks. I have dsl. .9 mbs is a good day. You read that right. Point 9. Not my problem either. If worked for you, you would have to wait a very long time for me to complete something. That is the best I can afford. Quit dumping on folks for their service. You didn't hire them to work from home. So it really is YOUR problem.
No, its not my issue. They refused to look or call their local providers or put forth any effort in finding access until hr gave them an ultimatum of taking a layoff. Its their responsibility to find home service, its mine to provide them secure remote access to our network. If i can find a connection to be available 24/7 365 they can at least try. DSL/ADSL would be fine, i can make rdp function on a 1mbps connection. I cant do anything with a .006mbps connection with tons of latency and jitter. So no, im not "dumping" on them for their service, its for their self-entitlement and laziness. And surprise surprise that same person is the only one i have had an issue with trying to install unauthorized apps and visiting adult sites on the company owned laptop he was given.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #57

I'm not getting into the above conversation because I'm mostly retired and am really happy about that lol. But I too know the pain of living in the sticks without service. I was using a signal boosting antenna mounted over my cabin, but it wasn't much of an improvement. So in June I finally got DSL Wifi. The reason I hadn't before was they only offered it in a bundle package that included phone and TV, and after a year they would jack it up to $200 a month.

But I found out that as long as your guns and are adamant that you only want DSL (the sales rep offered me about 15 different packages and rebates because they want to be able to raise the price eventually) you can get it for $50 a month and that's locked in for life. It's 72mbps and huge improvement over what I had before. And I got Netflix, Prime video with HBO and Starz etc. The only trouble I'm having now is with generosity. My sister lives nextdoor with her man and ofcourse wanted the wifi password, which I agreed to with the stipulation that they go easy on it in the evenings when I want to watch movies.

Well they've been getting a little greedy and streaming movies over there as well in the evenings. Add on to that my niece Gabriella coming down on the weekends and I usually have one of my lady friends over the system is getting severely taxed. I had a little sitdown with them lastnight and if things don't change in the evenings im gonna change the password. One thing I did do was connect the TV and Blu Ray player directly to the router/modem with 4k cables so I'm mostly getting the lion's share of the precious internet. The struggle is real out here in the sticks lol.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #58

He has dsl available. Another guy lives around him and got it and has been good. He just refused to call and get it set up because wanted me to do it for him. Why he went with one of the mom and pop point to multi point wifi providers is beyond me. He gets 10/10mbps which is more than sufficient. Oh and it doesn't cost him a damn thing because the company is paying for it. Must be nice, i fork out about $180 a month between home internet and having a separate att hotspot along with my vzw phone for work availability that is not reimbursed lol.

I wish i would live to see retirement, aint gonna happen.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #59

My job site in Arkansas was shut down yesterday because we had a worker come down with the beer virus. I don't know if he is in the hospital or sweating/coughing it out at home. Its very hush hush.
-We will resume work at the site within a week.
-The good news is that they didn't quarantine us all.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #60

Get this.. I've got a friend of mine who is in a family of 7. Only 2 of the kids are out of the house, but the family is really close.. so they hang out together all the time.

3 of kids got to the beach and party it up at the bars.. Now sure if one or all 3 caught it, but one of them got sick. Got tested and came up positive.. Then the rest of the family gets tested.

All 3 end up coming up positive, and my friend, who is the parent comes up positive. The other 3 test negative.

Now here's the funny part. Out of the 4, they all had different symptoms. 1 had none, 1 had no taste/smell, 1 had diarrhea, and the last had a light cough and fever. All symptoms disappeared in about a week. They said it was like have a cold.. except the one with diarrhea.. He said it was light food poisoning.

Ok, maybe it doesn't read funny, but if you knew those folks, you'd get a laugh..

When they re-tested after the 14 days, they all came up negative.