Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #46

I just set my impact gun on the lowest setting and let it hit it many many times with low impacts to jar them free before twisting them in half.

I am a firm believer in penetrating fluid as well.

I had one bolt that the socket was spinning on a bit but that was from trying to get at it from the top once I was working from the side it was much easier.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #47

My extraction method for stubborn, rusty bolts is to heat 'em until they glow, then give 'em a quick blast with WD-40. The WD-40 wicks in between the threads and quenches the fastener in the same step. They usually come apart with little fuss after that. YMMV.

A 3 ton jack is a really good investment for jobs like this, for both power and stroke. I got mine at Costco with jackstands for $90.00.

I recommend that you try the electrolytic rust removal trick for the battery trays; I found it to be cheap and effective. If you can find POR-15 for a good price in your area, it's an excellent way to coat the tray after the rust is removed. It won't likely rust again any time soon. The same rust removal trick will likely work on the manifolds.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #48

slow and easy and hundreds of hammers with the impact seemed to work well I could tell in seconds if it was loosening or not just by the sound.
If one didnt start to loosen soon I'd hit it with the gun for a minute or so then spray again and try another bolt.
I really didnt want to deal with a bunch of broken bolts.

I think I'll leave one of the 12 ton bottle jacks on the motorhome along side the original jack.Maybe pick up two jack stands to have onboard.

I seen that it had air bags in the front coils and would like to replace them and add some to the back and have all four independant along with a small onboard air compressor that we could also use for airing up tires on the toys and motorhome and trailer if needed.

I'd hope to be able to use the air ride assist bags to adjust for small amounts of level when camped as well as help control ride.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #49

Airbags at each coil is an excellent idea. I know that in drag racing applications, the preload of a coil spring airbag is 15-30psi, but I'm not sure about your application. Nevertheless, you certainly shouldn't need a compressor that is capable of more than 100psi.

I'm curious to learn if levelling will be effective by means of airbags. I'm really enjoying this thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2011, 05:54 AM   #50

Yeah I think I could only get a small amount of leveling but it might be worth it.

Here is the front kit.
http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...000-81560.aspx

The rear kit.
http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...000-57203.aspx

I'm thinking of a small air compressor that goes to a set of four air valves/regulators with pressure meters and safety blow offs at or close to the bags max pressure.

I do believe the bags are supposed to have around 15-30 PSI minimum and a max of 100PSI.

Anyway I'm a long way from doing all that but the onboard air with retractble hose is almost certainly going to happen.
We have a large amount of space under the rear bed that is in need of being made useful.Probably end up with a simple tool kit and some spare parts in there.

I got to decide on the generator today to make use of the coupon I have.
I could wait and hope to get a one day use coupon for 25% off and save a little more but the generators may not be included in that sale.
I really want a quiet generator but may have to settle for the HF one atleast it would be brand new and I might be able to muffle it enough.
It will fill the generator bay fully which could cause some cooling problems, I'll remeasure it all today and decide.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #51

Is the generator you're looking at GX200 based? If so, the Honda muffler might be a bolt-on (depending upon generator housing space).

Not sure what the generator bay looks like, but perhaps some fans to move air would be a benefit. The muffin fans from typical PC computer towers are 12 volt, and you can often find them at surplus shops for cheap. A couple of those mounted in a push and pull arrangement could exchange the air and use very little power.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #52

I just got home from work and time is running out I have to decide on the generator or wait and see what comes up atleast I dont need it RIGHT NOW so if I have to wait it might work out better.

I think the HF generator engine is sort of styled like the honda 200 engines and putting a different muffler on the generator is doable.

My wife got most of the parts so I can start to put the exhaust back together although the wire set wont be here until tuesday.I will wait until tuesday to work on it its supposed to be nice out.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #53

On the clones that I have the honda muffler appears to be a bolt on. I would think that with you fab skills that you could easily make a larger muffler.

On the pushrods. I have a pump with a clone engine. Low compression. I believe its the pushrods too. Its my parts engine.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #54

Well for now we passed on the HF generator because I didnt want to change from a 30amp to 50 amp service.

The HF gen has a 230volt 4 prong 50AMP twist lock and we have a 30AMP 3 prong.

I know in the long run the 50 would be better but I'd have to do a lot of work to make it RIGHT, plus I'm hoping to get a correct era genset to go in there.

Going to see if a CLer still has an Onan marquise 5000 today.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #55

Don't they have a 50-30amp adaptor?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #56

I don't think there's a problem with more available current. As Kato says, if you use an adapter (or change the plug), you can still operate with 30 amp service. If all of the devices you are using add up to more than 30 amps, your main breaker will blow, cutting off the power. That's exactly what would happen if tried to pull more than 30 amps on a 30 amp service.

As long as voltage is correct, you're set. You can always change to a larger panel with 50 amp service in the future, if it seems that you need to run more electric devices at once. As long as you're not running your proposed compressor, a microwave, a toaster and a kettle at the same time, you'll be fine.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #57

I think I just remember something about RVs. 50amp RV service is different than 50amp home service.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #58

From what I have seen the 30AMP service is 10-2 wiring and the 50AMP would be 10-3.

10 gauge wire can pull 30 amps max.

So in order to do it right I'd have to change to 10-3 wires to run the power properly.

10-2 just has black(hot-power)/ white(common-return) and ground

10-3 has black(hot-power) / red(hot-power) / white(common-return) and ground

Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #59

Loving this subject as I am living this in much the same idea but I went a different route.
Couldn't afford a motorhome so had an opportunity to buy one of our old 1992 23 foot buses for $2500 from the care home were I work. Me and my two boys converted it to a camper so my wife would finally go camping with us after nearly 20 years of saying no.
We finished it this summer after two years of an hour here and there we are proud of it as it sleeps 5 out of the elements. We had a few great trips this summer and it will be hard to say good bye but I just bought another one we retired for even less but this one has a diesel engine. The first one only had 120,000 km on and this one is a year older at 1992 and has 140,000 km.
Nothing for a diesel engine.
We used portable stoves etc and did all the cooking outside but we want to make the second one even nicer. Its been great fun but there has been quite a few head scratching days.
Weldngrind knows by Larry.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuggy660
Loving this subject as I am living this in much the same idea but I went a different route.
Couldn't afford a motorhome so had an opportunity to buy one of our old 1992 23 foot buses for $2500 from the care home were I work. Me and my two boys converted it to a camper so my wife would finally go camping with us after nearly 20 years of saying no.
We finished it this summer after two years of an hour here and there we are proud of it as it sleeps 5 out of the elements. We had a few great trips this summer and it will be hard to say good bye but I just bought another one we retired for even less but this one has a diesel engine. The first one only had 120,000 km on and this one is a year older at 1992 and has 140,000 km.
Nothing for a diesel engine.
We used portable stoves etc and did all the cooking outside but we want to make the second one even nicer. Its been great fun but there has been quite a few head scratching days.
Weldngrind knows by Larry.
Larry! I knew that was you before I got to the bottom of your post. Welcome! You know that we're gonna need pics of your creation.