Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #46

It is common for pipes to "blue". Also just about all of our bikes are set lean from the factory. You may want to lower the c-clip in the carb(s) and possibly even rejet.

Is it a twin carb bike?

Also on the oil. I have used shell rotella T 15w40 diesel oil with good success, but this will be too thick for cooler temps. I found a valvoline 5w30 I think that work fine in the colder temps.

Both were inexpensive and found at walmart.

Allen

Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #47

What great asset this site is! Thanks for the info. I just love this bike, and can't wait for a warm day so I can get out for a ride.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #48

katoranger, This bike has a single carb, with a manifold that supplies both cylinders. It is identical to the arrangement on the Honda Rebel so I am not sure just how the C Clip thing would compare. I did the C clip on my 200 CC Hi Bird and it make a great improvement. I will try the 5 W 30 Valvoline, thanks.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #49

If I remember correctly it was semisyn valvoline. It took some looking to find it. I would run the cheaper shell oil or similar product until you have it broke in well. At least 500 miles. I think the shell comes in a 5w40 too.

The single carb will make tuning much easier. Not sure what carb type it is. If it is starting and idling well you may want to leave it alone. If it starts hard and takes forever to warm up then lowering the clip one notch may help.

Allen

Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #50

I probably will have to wait until warmer weather to get a feel for idol under cold conditions. It starts instantly with choke and runs perfectly. Thanks for the tip on oil. I will try to figure out who makes the carburetor, and let you know. It will not be until tonight.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #51

I apologize for not getting back and identifying the carburetor, but I can't figure it out yet. It is exactly the same that is on the Honda Rebel. I will keep researching it. I did go for a ride today, it ran well and it is amazingly smooth shifting. I am going to go with a smaller sprocket, so does anyone have any idea where I can get one. It is a size bigger than my 200 HiBird has. It seems to be about 5/8 inch between teeth on the sprocket. I am looking for better mileage and longer engine life.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #52

Look on the side on the chain. Most Chain manufactures put the chain size on the side plates. Even chinese chain makers.

That will at least get you on the right track for the sprockets

Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #53

I looked at the chain and it has no info on it at all. I think when I start looking for a smaller sprocket, I will be able to come up with something. I believe the carburetor says "sheng wey" on it, or something like that. I put on about 10 miles today and it ran well, it is cold here, about 35 today, but I may have a lean condition. I had to keep the choke on for at least 4 miles.

Where might be the best place to find a sprocket for the rear wheel?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld

Where might be the best place to find a sprocket for the rear wheel?
Bruce at EJCycles can hook you up, but you need to know from which wheel your wheel was cloned from. You already don't think it is the same as your GY's back wheel if I remember correctly, and those were pretty much interchangeable across all brands, with a couple exceptions like the Zongshen Sierra model and maybe the UM enduro twins, but all else seemed to match. Try Hensim from that link I gave you, or countyimports, or even where you bought it, VBike--they were pretty smart when I enquired how many teeth the stock Hi-Bird 250 enduro came with.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #55

Thanks for the info, This bike has a lot in common with the Rebel, but the wheels are completely different. I will research it.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #56

It sounds like you have a 520 chain.

Bruce may already know what sprocket you need. If you can post a picture so we can see it also. One of us may recognize it.

I have some Honda sprockets here I can compare it too.

Allen

Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #57

I am going to try to learn how to post pictures this weekend, and then I will. Thanks for the help. I am going for a ride today, it will hit 40 degrees.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
I am going for a ride today, it will hit 40 degrees.
sounds like my morning commute, brrrrrr--afternoon going home has been low 70's

Old 02-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #59

My carburetor is a Sheng Wey. I appear to have a standard sprocket with a 58 MM hole and the bolt pattern is 90MM. The sprocket thickness is only about 6.8 MM. What do you think about that. That is about the same as my hi bird sprocket, that uses 420 chain. The chain I have is clearly the 520 size, having about 5/8 inch between teeth.

I sure am getting an education!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #60

I have been researching chain and came across this info and found it interesting. I could not figure out what kind of chain I had, but now I know. If a few of you find this interesting maybe the info below, could go to a more appropriate area of this site.

Construction and Features

Motorcycle Chains have the same basic construction and sizes (numbers 40, 50, and 60, Table 1.9) as Standard Roller Chains. But they have a special width of inner links. Because of the very demanding working conditions, some Motorcycle Chains have the following special features:

1. Strength
Quad-staked riveting on the pin head helps to retain the link plate on the pin. Connecting links are press fit. (Riveted connecting links are also available.) Link plates are thicker (heavy) and the rollers are seamless.
2. Wear life
Special coated pins, sintered bushings that are oil impregnated, and seamless bushings with O-rings are used to extend the wear life of the chain.
3. Resistance to dirt, sand, or mud
To prevent debris from getting into tight joints, the bushings are extended beyond the inner link plates, and often O-rings are used to seal the chains. This extension and O-rings prevent abrasive material from getting into the chain.
4. Appearance
These chains may have special coloring, plating, (gold or silver), or glossy finish on the plates.

Table 1.9 Motorcycle Chains 40 Class 50 Class 60 Class
Chain Number Inside Width (mm) Chain Number Inside Width (mm) Chain Number Inside Width (mm)
420 6.35 520 6.35 630 9.53
425 7.95* 525 7.95
428** 7.95* 530 9.53*

* Same inside width as ANSI Standard Roller Chain
** Roller diameter differs from ANSI Standard Roller Chain

Sprockets

Special sprockets are used for these chains. Numbers 425 and 530 sprockets have the same tooth shapes as standard types.