Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #46

My buddy Tommy went to Washington high school, and I recall, exactly what you said, they tore the whole building down except for the façade, and built a new building around it. I am not sure what that was all about, I assume it had something to do with meeting codes, etc.?

I lived there just after the dragstrip closed, so it is likely that we had some overlap in when we were there. I think that every community should be required to have a dragstrip, I don't think that there is any better way to keep young drivers, and those with racing instincts, safe on the street, giving them a place to exercise their passion safely is the best thing for the entire community.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
I love out conversation oviking.

For what it is worth, this forum is famous for thread drift. Since this was my thread in the first place, it does not hurt my feelings to watch it drift. Plus you were bringing back so many memories of when I lived in the bay area. I have the same lament for California that you do, but even so, I am moving back.

Even though I was born in New Jersey, I have always considered myself a native Californian. As much as I love and appreciate my time in the Pacific Northwest, I am still a Californian at heart, and intend to go back. I am thinking probably San Luis Obispo County.

So, I am a Californian living in exile, but I do love where I am now also. I will not be moving back for many years, likely not until after I retire. Hopefully, that will be after California finishes crumbling completely, and will be on the upswing :-)
The feeling is mutual Doc! I am a native 'Prune Picker'. My dad was born in a tent in S SF. My Grandparents moved from Idaho/Washington/S.Dakota. in the twenties. Grandma O worked at Levi's in SF. Grandpa O was a watch maker. Grandpa J was an aeronautical engineer who worked for Friedens. He helped develop the the first manned heat shield for NASA, in San Leandro. I certainly can't deny that. Most of my family still live there, though 3 of my son's and their families moved here with us. My brother is fortunate enough to live in Newport/Balboa. Incredible weather, and prices too!. So as the song goes "I left my heart In San Francisco", but I love my freedoms in Georgia!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #48

Quote:
My buddy Tommy went to Washington high school, and I recall, exactly what you said, they tore the whole building down except for the façade, and built a new building around it. I am not sure what that was all about, I assume it had something to do with meeting codes, etc.?

I lived there just after the dragstrip closed, so it is likely that we had some overlap in when we were there. I think that every community should be required to have a dragstrip, I don't think that there is any better way to keep young drivers, and those with racing instincts, safe on the street, giving them a place to exercise their passion safely is the best thing for the entire community.
The Fremont Drag Strip was featured in American Grafitti. If you watch that movie, that was my life. I have been blessed to have such a life, and I wakeup each morning and thank God for what He has given us.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I remember watching The Rifleman, with Chuck Connors, in prime time, on our black-and-white television set.

X2 Spud. One of my favorites!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #50

Spud is the best at relevent movie clips, an odd but remarkable talet :-)

American Grafitti was set in Modesto, and in the 50's and 60's probably was very similar to Fremont.

You are a walking piece of California history oviking.

How did you wind up picking Georgia, for retirement I presume?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oviking99 View Post
...So as the song goes "I left my heart In San Francisco", but I love my freedoms in Georgia!

This is one of my favorite songs; I think it is probably the best song paying tribute to any city. Tony Bennett has a magnificent voice.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Spud is the best at relevent movie clips, an odd but remarkable talet :-)

American Grafitti was set in Modesto, and in the 50's and 60's probably was very similar to Fremont.

You are a walking piece of California history oviking.

How did you wind up picking Georgia, for retirement I presume?
The Drag strip scenes they used were filmed the Fremont Raceway.
http://www.wediditforlove.com/MAG-1.html
Interesting site.

As far as history, most of my time was spent in the SF Bay Area, about a year in Vancouver, 9 mos in Tacoma, my sister born there, and short stint in Spokane with family. Then on to Santee, Pismo Beach, San Diego, etc. All before my teen years. We finally landed in Fremont. My dad was a sales rep. Needles to say we traveled.
My wife and I lived Bavaria Germany for almost 3 years, in a small wonderful village, thanks to Uncle Sam and the Army. Mrs. O and I have had a great life traveling. We have relatives in Blairsville and Buckhead Ga. We traveled to GA quite a few times. We both fell in love with Lake Lanier, the slower lifestyle, beautiful Architectural homes, and CHEEEP TAXES. We bought a new craftsman style home just off the lake that backs into the forrest. Maybe from our German influence? At any rate we fly back to CA quite a bit to visit our remaining family in both Northern and Southern CA.
Having most of our sons, family and grandchildren here, makes for a great life. We have been retired here for almost 7 years now, and will mostly likely stay.
Whoops, talk about off topic, and a novel to boot!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post

This is one of my favorite songs; I think it is probably the best song paying tribute to any city. Tony Bennett has a magnificent voice.
X2 Spud!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #54

I modified the kickstand last night. I used a 3/4" threaded ABS plug and endcap for a lawn sprinkler system and JB Welded it to the bottom of the stand. Because one part screws into the other I was able to set the length to where I wanted it. I then sprayed it black. It seems to work well and look good.

If it holds up, and I think it will, great. If it breaks off I'll have the stand lengthened by a welder :-)

Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #55

Cheesey but nearly free and effective kickstand extention.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #56

Does it seem to be solid?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #57

Hey FastDoc! With lots of small upgrades that will eventually be a reliable bike lol. Those stupid kill switches have got me a couple times too. I ended up putting a 38 tooth rear sprocket on my bike. Link To Cleveland Cycle Werks below. I have a 17 tooth countershaft from pccmotors. These bikes make 0 horsepower at anything over 6500 . With that gear setup I used castrol power RS V-Twin 4t SAE 20w-50 harley Harley Oil so that the clutch gets a good bite. Believe it or not the bike still climbs serious hills and handles good off road. I ended up making a chain guild out of a cutting board. Has worked good.

http://shop.clevelandcyclewerks.com/...r-sprocket-kit

Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Does it seem to be solid?
Very much. As an experiment I tried to break it by slamming it on the ground and pulling the bike backwards while on the stand and it's on there forever I think. If the tip ever wears out 50 cents gets a new one and it screws on.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranbo View Post
Hey FastDoc! With lots of small upgrades that will eventually be a reliable bike lol. Those stupid kill switches have got me a couple times too. I ended up putting a 38 tooth rear sprocket on my bike. Link To Cleveland Cycle Werks below. I have a 17 tooth countershaft from pccmotors. These bikes make 0 horsepower at anything over 6500 . With that gear setup I used castrol power RS V-Twin 4t SAE 20w-50 harley Harley Oil so that the clutch gets a good bite. Believe it or not the bike still climbs serious hills and handles good off road. I ended up making a chain guild out of a cutting board. Has worked good.

http://shop.clevelandcyclewerks.com/...r-sprocket-kit
This bike has a 17/46 (or 45) IIRC and it is still undergeared for the street, although near perfect for the dirt. At 100 KPH (62 MPH) or so it's making 8,000 RPM's. It will do it but it's buzzy and the engine obviously wants to shift into 7th. LOL!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #60

I'd thing with a sprocket that small the chain would drag on the swingarm. No?