Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #46

Btw this is the throttle mod I was speaking about, it was zipties not a sheet of plastic - well ok basically the same thing. It might be of interest to some of you who want less twist for the same vroom.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26270

Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #47

Thanks for the link. I'm not registered there, so I can't see the pics. Have you considered a two-stroke throttle?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks for the link. I'm not registered there, so I can't see the pics. Have you considered a two-stroke throttle?
Well according to JP Motorsports there is no other throttle tube that will fit on the qlink. That being said I think they are referring to the control box that covers where the cables are. I cant imagine how nothing else would fit on a 7/8 bar would be true other than the part that is covered by the control box.

As for the images they do not show much. The description is what matters. Basically you cut a length of zip tie. Sand it a bit so the glue adheres better. Clean the throttle tube from grease and all. Super glue the zip tie around the tube in the path the throttle cable will take. Relube and reassemble. This lets you go from a > 50% throttle to a < 50% at least on a ninja 250 - same concept would apply on all bikes that have a throttle tube I just dont know if the percentages would directly apply since its a matter of outer diameter of the tube where the cable goes against.

Some people have even suggested (in that thread at least) layering two zip ties where one is only on part of the throttle. This gives you a variable pull so that its lower at the begining of the throttle but more aggressive at the end which is keyed to where the power band is.

I have zip ties and I have super glue, and I will have a disposable throttle tube Friday when the new one gets here. I think I will test it on the broken one which is usable but I do not want to rely on it, although I did go on a 25 mile ride today and got it to 45mph uphill cant wait to see what I can do when I fix the throttle.

This may be an essential mod for the prosthesis since I can never get to WOT in the stock form.

As for the front brake, the master cylinder arrives tomorrow. I will play with that a bit. I called Rekluse earlier today and they could not find a part number but were more than helpful in telling me its a magura 9.5mm master cylinder they use and gave me the dimensions of the reservoir. Their "clutch override" replaces the cover to that master cylinder, so if I can get one with a bore size the way I want it then that would work out well.

The guy at Rekluse also told me about Clake which makes a dual lever system, although it requires 2 hydraulic things to control. The left most part controls the clutch and the right part the brake. You can work one or both as you need.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #49

It sounds like the Rekluse people are trying to help. Thats nice to see in a company.

I am interested in your throttle tube mod. God knows you will need WOT on a 200. The only downside is that fine adjustments may be more difficult to modulate but it's not like you are going to get bucked off.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying the ride so far. Be safe.

Bill

Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It sounds like the Rekluse people are trying to help. Thats nice to see in a company.

I am interested in your throttle tube mod. God knows you will need WOT on a 200. The only downside is that fine adjustments may be more difficult to modulate but it's not like you are going to get bucked off.
I will post some stuff about it. This can be a handy mod for regular folk as well. The issue with the ninja 250 specifically is that to go from closed to WOT you have to regrip because the throttle rotation is too far. This is unsafe to do and just annoying. It seems to me that there is about the same rotation in the qlink, meaning many people may never get to WOT while riding. A $0.05 fix could be interesting.

You do lose some fine control over the throttle, or rather its harder to adjust it as fine since you are pulling the cable faster. This just means smaller adjustments have the same results as stock. Riders will just have to relearn how much throttle is enough for their needs. Just rotate a little slower. I doubt it will take most people more than a few twists to be recalibrated.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Yeah the rekluse people were super helpful. I recommend em just based on customer service (I havent bought any products so I cant say if their stuff is of good quality, but they probably would not still be around if they had horrible quality). Prices are not unfair either.

Quote:
I will post some stuff about it. This can be a handy mod for regular folk as well. The issue with the ninja 250 specifically is that to go from closed to WOT you have to regrip because the throttle rotation is too far. This is unsafe to do and just annoying. It seems to me that there is about the same rotation in the qlink, meaning many people may never get to WOT while riding. A $0.05 fix could be interesting.

You do lose some fine control over the throttle, or rather its harder to adjust it as fine since you are pulling the cable faster. This just means smaller adjustments have the same results as stock. Riders will just have to relearn how much throttle is enough for their needs. Just rotate a little slower. I doubt it will take most people more than a few twists to be recalibrated.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #52

About that master cylinder.

I do not know if this is normal practice for the company, or if they will try to make it right. I ordered an item listed as "new unopened in original packaging". I got a scratched lever (like whatever it was previously on was dropped), brake fluid still in it, solids in the brake fluid that oxidized parts of the reservoir, and it appears that the solids are in the piston which may or may not require a rebuild. I have asked to return it with all shipping in both directions refunded as well since it was not my fault they listed a used item as new.

With that said, on this particular bike (xp200) that will not fit anyway. If the item was bought by my error I would have just accepted the loss, but ... I sent an email late today so they may not respond until tomorrow.

I am looking at the rekluse system more and more, it seems the only viable cost effective solution to the problem with the front brake. The downside is that I am locked into a particular master cylinder system, and Magura is not getting back to me quickly. I may just but the rekluse "z-start clutch override" which retails for about $80 and see if I can take it to a larger shop that might have parts that I can compare to see what a good fit would be.

I have almost not heard from qlink either, and will have to call them during the day tomorrow. Does anyone know what the master cylinder bore size is for the qlink xp200? I am going to guess its 16-19mm, but I really do not know.

I redid my socket with the larger turnbuckle. Did a bit extra fiberglass too since I did not want the socket to be the weakest link in the system. It works well, although there is more resistance to rotation with the larger bolt although I may have put too much anti-seize grease on the threads. Additionally it is slightly longer and I did notice that a little but it is not so much that it twists my body making it unsafe or uncomfortable. It is about 1 inch too long in total. Since I am using "off the shelf" components that is not bad.

Finally I will test the throttle tube mod tomorrow since my replacement is due friday. I want to try to get some riding time in before I replace it and if it works well I plan on doing it to the new one. I got some grease today so that I can relube everything before reassembly. I will document that mod if it works out well.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #53

I'd be grateful for a short vid that shows the articualtion of the throttle with the turnbuckle device.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #54

Quote:
I'd be grateful for a short vid that shows the articualtion of the throttle with the turnbuckle device.
send me a camera and I will see what I can do :P

I think I have something that can make a suitable video, I have never tested it but I will try. The problem of course is holding the camera while rotating the throttle, angles would be bad and all that. It may have to wait until I am at my friends house.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #55

Sure, no rush. I bought a cheap tripod for such projects, and I think it was only a few bucks at Princess Auto (much like Harbor Freight). I just use a 5mp Sony digi cam set on video. It's old, but it works well enough.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #56

Quote:
X2! I would enjoy seeing a video, also.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #57

Ok I will try to make a video. Will post to youtube and write something up about the newer stronger turnbuckle. The new prosthesis works great, no more fear of it bending and ultimately snapping

Old 05-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #58

The throttle mod is pretty good. 1 2.5 or so inch zip tie super glued to the throttle tube makes it about a 1/4 turn throttle. I will more fully document this when the new one arrives.

On a side note the other throttle cable connector broke today somehow. I am thinking that either this tube is a dud or there is something seriously wrong with the design of the throttle tubes for the xp200s. You would never really notice if you dont take the ignition control panel off because that will hold the cables in place even if this does break.

So by the end of the weekend I plan on having a video showing the throttle grip and photos showing the xp200 throttle tube mod for a smaller diameter turn. The video is likely going to be on the modded throttle unless I get some free time later today to shoot it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter
As for the front brake, the master cylinder arrives tomorrow. I will play with that a bit. I called Rekluse earlier today and they could not find a part number but were more than helpful in telling me its a magura 9.5mm master cylinder they use and gave me the dimensions of the reservoir. Their "clutch override" replaces the cover to that master cylinder, so if I can get one with a bore size the way I want it then that would work out well.
I did some digging and the Suzuki DR200SE front master cylinder is 12.7mm. This means that a 9.5 will be a softer pull and require more lever travel to get the same braking. They open in 30 minutes and I am going to order direct. They also do not list the item on their page anymore and Charles (guy at Rekluse I spoke to said they dont sell the z-start stuff anymore). I know they have some in the shop because while on the phone with him he went into the shop and got one to look for a part number for me. Really nice guy, and that is why I am going to try to go direct - they get slightly more profit because there is not the dealer markdown.

This is turning into a saga

I think I will have time later today so I will try to take the photos.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #60

Its an interesting saga, and I'm sure the groundwork you are doing will be helpful to other people who read about your adventure. I think the master cylinder will work out fine. Also you are wise to try to deal with people on the phone rather than just a website. With a good smaller company you can get some good results that way. Sometimes it's best to talk to people. Who wou;d have thought? 8)